Suns at Warriors 10-8-18 (preseason)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's like Ayton hasn't even tried hard yet. just wait when he gets better! :hairraise

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's great that Ayton is turning out to be everything we hoped. It gives me a real enthusiasm for the future, along with Booker. Even if the rest of the team is somewhat blah this season, I am still eager to follow the development of both of them.

Also, good to see positive contributions from Anderson and Ariza. I haven't been too enthused about at least Anderson. Hopefully, this will carry over into the regular season.

Maybe, just maybe, if we can make a move for a real PG (without giving up too much), the vets make a genuine contribution, and Ayton and Booker play like the stars they are destined to become, it might actually be a surprisingly decent, or at least watchable, season after all.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know Bender sucks so the criticism is warranted but without Len on the team anymore I wondering who would become the boards whipping boy.
Successful teams don't need a whipping boy.

C'mon, Poop. Let's start thinking like winners.

It is our pre-season, too. :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know Bender sucks so the criticism is warranted but without Len on the team anymore I wondering who would become the boards whipping boy. Bender has taken the title and seems to be taking pride in it. Chriss and Knight being shipped off kept them from taking over, both were at one point or another before though. I think Harrison should be the backup to Bender for that role but it seems Jackson has that role cinched up according to probably 1/3 of the posters here. With JJ there is 1/3 who wants him benched or traded, 1/3 who say he's young and to give him time, and another 1/3 who think he could be our 3rd star behind Booker and Ayton. It's quite the split with him. I think I'm in the middle now but I've been on the 3rd star end for a little bit at various times.
I am split on JJ, too. I saw Bridges first game with us in Summer League and he looked REAL good in that game. I was thinking JJ had to worry. Then Bridges fell off a cliff. So then JJ was back on top. JJ looked like the real deal the second half of last season. JJ has not regressed all the way back to start of last season form, but he's not a 20 point a night guy that's for sure. Hoping he relaxes and plays like he did at the end of last season.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So with this game, any of you happy with going in the regular season with the PGs we got right now?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ayton is very active defensively. Not always in the right place, but he's making a real effort, and already better than advertised in that department. I think he's taking his development very seriously.

He's still learning the game and I fully expect him to make a lot of stupid mistakes this season. I was surprised that the freaking Warriors made it a point to double-team him. I mean, talk about respect.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isn't this the way it always happens?

Not enough improvement.

Firing.

That night, voila, improvement.

Not that it should make a difference.
Let's just fire someone every night then. Start with the ball boys.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So with this game, any of you happy with going in the regular season with the PGs we got right now?
Easy, no. But I would rather that than overpay for one.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Josh Jackson looked a bit better today control wise but still takes really bad shots. He really needs to put up a lot of shots in a closed gym and then hopefully he will get it back.

Some of his misses don't even look close.

Good job passing wise today though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So in theory all last year, Booker and TJ were the most consistent scorers and we always seemd to miss that third guy. This year Ayton fills that role, or at least we have three consistent scorers. Do we get the fillers to play good enough? I think Ariza and Anderson raise up the consistency on the fourth and fifth scorers. Let's see what the Defense can do!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like that the Suns were consistent vs. the Warriers.

We won the 1st and 3rd quarters by 8 (when the starters were primarily playing) and lost the 2nd and 4th quarters by only 4 (when the subs had more time).

And for the game, we scored one more basket on field goals, six more on 3-pointers, the same amount on free throws and had six more rebounds.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You're right but in communities like this there will always be a whipping boy, it's inevitable. The Nash Sun's had them also. Marion took that role in the playoffs, for sure, but the regular season whipping boy changed annually. The Morrii and Frye were definitely in the club of previous whipping boys. It really doesn't matter how good or bad the team is, one player seems to get singled out for doing everything wrong. They could be doing well also, it's just a sort of shared fan experience.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So in theory all last year, Booker and TJ were the most consistent scorers and we always seemd to miss that third guy. This year Ayton fills that role, or at least we have three consistent scorers. Do we get the fillers to play good enough? I think Ariza and Anderson raise up the consistency on the fourth and fifth scorers. Let's see what the Defense can do!

Booker will be our main scorer, or primary offensive weapon. Warren will get his and if he drops 15 off the bench, which he should be capable of, then we'll be in a good position this year in terms of scoring because Ayton should fill Warren's starting 2nd scorer role. Ariza and Anderson will get theirs also and will occasionally surpass Ayton, with Anderson passing Booker's some nights if he catches fire. I don't see a team trying to stop Anderson if he gets hot. They won't be able to play off of Ayton, Booker, Ariza, Warren, Jackson, and most other players we have to provide consistent help. Any and all double teams will probably be focused on Ayton and Booker, in that order also. Doubling on the perimeter is more difficult than inside and I think that's why Ayton will see many more than Booker. Anderson, Ariza, Booker, Melton, Daniels, Reed, Bridges, and Warren should all be capable to drain shots if Ayton kicks it out of a double.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you really know him that well?:)

Moving on. You must be really old. In today's social media driven sports world, every team has at least one whipping boy (or girl) - even the champs usually have a chump of two.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget the scandal, Sean Miller should have been fired for how absurdly he misused Ayton last year. How do you not let this freaking monster destroy in the post? Ayton is just now getting to play like a true big and he already looks like an elite player.

Errntknght

Reaction score

If Igor is good to go with them, then I am. I suspect he would like to have Dragic but, heck, he might be glad to have young guys to mold into the exact PG's he wants. I like Okobo as the eventual starter and whichever of Harrison and Melton is the better defender as the backup.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One game. Just one game. Our pg's did not suddenly transform.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know it was just one game but the PG was better than it's been since Igor was hired and since they were guarding Steph Curry, I find that a good way to start something new.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Ayton's defense was supposed to be the part of his game that was furthest away but honestly so far it's probably the most impressive part of his repertoire. He had a couple nice steals in the passing lanes, and his rotations are quick and decisive (team rotating behind him not so much). Also, I like that when he does get blocks he has a high rate of retaining possession after.

Very encouraged by what I've seen so far.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Forget the scandal, Sean Miller should have been fired for how absurdly he misused Ayton last year. How do you not let this freaking monster destroy in the post? Ayton is just now getting to play like a true big and he already looks like an elite player.

This. Oddly, Alonzo trier who was a huge dissapointment at U of A and went undrafted to Knicks has been playing real well in preseason...

U if A underperforms every year, i dont know hiw Miller still has a job

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They're not as good as they looked tonight, but, similarly, I don't think they're as bad as they've looked previously.

I think they're the worst point guard rotation in the league, but not the worst by 10 miles. Tonight they looked better because tonight the ball movement by the entire team was better and open shooters hit their threes. I think Booker (as the primary ball handler or not) will make their lives waaaaay easier than what we've seen.

And on the same note... firing McD before seeing how this roster looked with Booker really makes me queasy. Booker is going to be back in weeks, why not wait a few weeks to see how the roster looks with it's best player? If it is still a mess... fire McD. Any solution to that mess will be as ready then as it is now... and probably come with less cost as it won't smack with as much desperation.

I might be overreacting... but if we do some stupid trade like Warren, and a mildly protected first for a stop gap point guard... I'm going to blow a blood vessel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05