Suns @ Blazers Game Thread 2-19-13

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone else feel bad for Telfair?

He's being benched and getting DNPs despite playing damn well this season as a backup. The politics of the NBA screwed him over :(

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Moving on, I'd be surprised if a contender does not want to add O'Neal to their roster for the playoffs before the trading deadline.
He's playing great, if they were the same age, O'Neal would have far more trade value than Gortat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving on, I'd be surprised if a contender does not want to add O'Neal to their roster for the playoffs before the trading deadline.

Agreed. When he's focused he's a strong backup center and I would expect a playoff drive to keep him focused.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's being benched and getting DNPs despite playing damn well this season as a backup. The politics of the NBA screwed him over :(

I think Telfair will land on his feet. The pressure on Hunter to develop Marshall has been intense. Telfair may yet find a home before the trading deadline. IMO, O'Neal and Telfair could be trading deadline bargains for contenders as they likely would only command second round picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Has he really played "damn well this season"? I thought he played pretty well last year but that he'd been far more inconsistent this season.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the comparison. They aren't even close.

I think he was just offering another example of a physical specimen. JJ has a much better NBA body because of his length and a far better game, again, because of his length but I think his point was that being a physical specimen isn't all that relevant.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was just offering another example of a physical specimen. JJ has a much better NBA body because of his length and a far better game, again, because of his length but I think his point was that being a physical specimen isn't all that relevant.

Steve

If one is a physical specimen that can play the game it is relevant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember Alton Ford?

Yes. So many fans wanted him to develop because of his physical attributes but he averaged just 2.5 points and 1.7 rebounds over a three year NBA career. All in all, maybe not bad for a player that was chosen 51st pick in the NBA draft. I never saw this huge upside many Suns fans wanted to see.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. So many fans wanted him to develop because of his physical attributes but he averaged just 2.5 points and 1.7 rebounds over a three year NBA career. All in all, maybe not bad for a player that was chosen 51st pick in the NBA draft. I never saw this huge upside many Suns fans wanted to see.

He had a great body and a fair amount of skill but his arms weren't just a little short for his position, they were stubs. I think once we all realized just how little length he had our expectations quickly dwindled.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
He was a bit short above his shoulders, too, but damn it was fun watching a Sun getting three offensive fouls in on one charge to hoop.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I still think that Alton Ford had the skill set to be one of the all time greats.

He just needed to be moved to Tight End.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night, I spent most of this game listening to the Blazers announcers. Today, I re-watched it with the Suns group and I have to say, as bad as Albert is, Eddie is far more annoying to me. If I never again hear him say "you can't do this or you can't allow that" it will be too soon. His arrogance and his ego are driving me nuts. Time and again he tries to take credit for something the players are doing. He makes it sound like he never made a mistake when he played and he misses almost as many plays as Albert does. We have Anne, who is excellent, pair her with someone decent and set these two buffoons free.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think you are taking EJ too seriously. He is a joker- you cannot take him too seriously.
Maybe I am just weird, but I appreciate EJ's humor. I miss Gary Bender a lot though. He had the ability to keep EJ on a short leash, letting him wonder off just far enough and then bring him back to the game when he'd wonder off too far.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are taking EJ too seriously. He is a joker- you cannot take him too seriously.
Maybe I am just weird, but I appreciate EJ's humor. I miss Gary Bender a lot though. He had the ability to keep EJ on a short leash, letting him wonder off just far enough and then bring him back to the game when he'd wonder off too far.

I don't mind his humor, it's the rest of him that bugs me. Seriously, count how many times he'll say "you can't" or "you just can't" do something. He uses too many absolutes. He's far too critical too. And once he mentions something he'll harp on it for the rest of the game. Not since Howard Cosell has my wife refused to be in the same room with me while I watch a game. She can't stand the guy and he used to be her favorite player. I used to think she was being too hard on the guy but Albert's gaffes have made me more aware of this duo and it's not going well for me. Give me more Anne, less Eddie.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm not visiting this thread any more, you guys have increased my awareness of EJ and Albert and I'm having to turn the sound off. Before, I swear Albert could have recited the Gettysburg Address and I wouldn't have noticed. With it off I realized what announcer's are good for - they tell you what opps players are involved in plays.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not visiting this thread any more, you guys have increased my awareness of EJ and Albert and I'm having to turn the sound off. Before, I swear Albert could have recited the Gettysburg Address and I wouldn't have noticed. With it off I realized what announcer's are good for - they tell you what opps players are involved in plays.

I'm telling you, it's a plot by the Suns front office to keep us focusing on anything other than the team itself. It's working. But, there is a bright spot, Anne is excellent.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind his humor, it's the rest of him that bugs me. Seriously, count how many times he'll say "you can't" or "you just can't" do something. He uses too many absolutes. He's far too critical too. And once he mentions something he'll harp on it for the rest of the game. Not since Howard Cosell has my wife refused to be in the same room with me while I watch a game. She can't stand the guy and he used to be her favorite player. I used to think she was being too hard on the guy but Albert's gaffes have made me more aware of this duo and it's not going well for me. Give me more Anne, less Eddie.

Steve

I don't dislike Eddie like you do. Sure he's got his common things he says but I still think he's generally pretty good and I like his sense of humor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake