Suns @ Clippers Wednesday game thread, October 23rd, 2024: Season Opener

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns plan is to beat teams with speed. However, some teams are big and quick.

Staying out of foul trouble will be important for the Suns big men.

BY KELLAN OLSON Suns reporter, ArizonaSports.com editor:

“I think we’ll be fine with that,” Booker said of the defensive responsibilities on the four perimeter players. “Just holding each other accountable. If teams have the size advantage, we’ll beat ’em with speed.”

To that point, it’s about maximizing the strengths of the team.

“We just wanna play to what it is, play to our strengths and just try to be the best version of us and build from there,” Durant said. “This is a copycat league and you see some stuff that you may implement to your gameplan, but for the most part we want to stick to our identity and be who we are as individuals and who we are as a team and stick to that.”

Reaction score
I certainly don't dislike the new team; but whatever happens, I will always respect the Chris Paul team more. Not so much because it went to the Finals but because it was said to play excellent defense; and, as a personal preference, it was "organically" built through the draft until Chris Paul came in. In that (if only in that), it strongly resembled the design arc of Suns teams from approximately 1988-1992. They grew the team mostly through the draft, and then fused the up-and-coming young team with a superstar. I always personally thought that the Chris Paul trade was the biggest Suns trade since Charles Barkley. Paul had more stature in the NBA than Steve Nash or Jason Kidd. (Shaquille O'Neal? Come on, O'Neal was physically diminished and probably had one foot in retirement.)

Yes, yes, I'm fully aware that Kevin Johnson was drafted by the Cavaliers, not the Suns. I choose to ignore that, because he was traded to the Suns partway through his rookie year.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason at all that the front office had to destroy the Chris Paul team was because Paul was too old, slow and gimpy. And I will always prefer teams built through the draft.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I certainly don't dislike the new team; but whatever happens, I will always respect the Chris Paul team more. Not so much because it went to the Finals but because it was said to play excellent defense; and, as a personal preference, it was "organically" built through the draft until Chris Paul came in. In that (if only in that), it strongly resembled the design arc of Suns teams from approximately 1988-1992. They grew the team mostly through the draft, and then fused the up-and-coming young team with a superstar. I always personally thought that the Chris Paul trade was the biggest Suns trade since Charles Barkley. Paul had more stature in the NBA than Steve Nash or Jason Kidd. (Shaquille O'Neal? Come on, O'Neal was physically diminished and probably had one foot in retirement.)

Yes, yes, I'm fully aware that Kevin Johnson was drafted by the Cavaliers, not the Suns. I choose to ignore that, because he was traded to the Suns partway through his rookie year.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason at all that the front office had to destroy the Chris Paul team was because Paul was too old, slow and gimpy. And I will always prefer teams built through the draft.

I think that is why some people still have some attachment to Bridges and Cam Johnson.

The new cba will for sure change how teams are built. Some will want to save money and build through the g-league and drafts. Others will have to have deep pockets to try and remain at competitive.

Reaction score
I think that is why some people still have some attachment to Bridges and Cam Johnson.

The new cba will for sure change how teams are built. Some will want to save money and build through the g-league and drafts. Others will have to have deep pockets to try and remain at competitive.
It suggests to me that, like me, NBA followers are tired of superteams.

I note that every 80s, 90s, and 2000s championship I can think of was either (a)built through the draft (example: the eighties Celtics championship teams, the nineties Bulls dynasty, and the 2000s Spurs dynasty); or (b)that fusion of drafted players with stars acquired through trades. A great example of that is the Lakers franchise buying Kareem ABdul-Jabbar and later drafting Magic Johnson and James Worthy. Superteams are an "innovation" from the 2010s.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It suggests to me that, like me, NBA followers are tired of superteams.

I note that every 80s, 90s, and 2000s championship I can think of was either (a)built through the draft (example: the eighties Celtics championship teams, the nineties Bulls dynasty, and the 2000s Spurs dynasty); or (b)that fusion of drafted players with stars acquired through trades. A great example of that is the Lakers franchise buying Kareem ABdul-Jabbar and later drafting Magic Johnson and James Worthy. Superteams are an "innovation" from the 2010s.
It has nothing to do with this being super team or not - and quite frankly I don't think they should be called that, because they have accomplished nothing - what it has to do with is that finals team was just far more fun to watch - period.

If you look at a team like the Celtics they play like a team, it's not about one star Iso'ing and then giving scraps to his teammates. That is just the best form of basketball.

it's interesting to that with the focus being more and more on 3 point shooting, I actually think superstars are going to be fewer and fewer, because it is hard to be a superstar just shooting 3's, and if 60% of shots in a game are 3's by definition, players ability to stand out is getting diminished.

I am encouraged so far that it seems they are playing more like a team under Bud, but we will see if it lasts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some matchup rankings heading into the game by Law Murray. I'm not sure how well preseason stats hold up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wooottttt suns season is upon us :)

Hopinnn right suns team shows up ton

Want to see good gms by dbook mr durant :) lol

My az sports stress flower/edibles will be rdy lol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be something to watch, if Ighodaro and Dunn are part of the Suns opening night rotation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most likely but it is something I noticed too. I don't think our defense is as good as it was last year, just an early presumption based on what I have seen.
Not sure, I think Dunn alone might improve our overall defense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It will be something to watch, if Ighodaro and Dunn are part of the Suns opening night rotation.

Get them in early and often and maybe they will be ready to make an impact in the playoffs. Will also make them more ready for bigger minutes when injuries inevitably happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have a shoot around at UCLA before the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard will be out for weeks, as reported by Shams Charania.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard will be out for weeks, as reported by Shams Charania.

I will predict this right now - I don't think he ever plays again. if he does it will be for a few games then the knee problems will come back and at that point he will retire.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan