Suns @ Clippers Wednesday game thread, October 23rd, 2024: Season Opener

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Durant made the biggest shot of the game at the end of regulation, but even so, he didn't look very good out there overall. A two-year extension, taking him to age 39, is really going to hurt.

The Suns are mentally stronger than they were last year, and that paid off last night. But for all of the changes in coaching and personnel, the offense looked basically the same, and the propensity for idiotic turnovers hasn't changed a bit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even after last year, I think we need a bigger sample size to start proclaiming the team is the same and that they will continue to have the same turnover problems.

I don't think I've ever seen Kevin Durant step out of bounds on a corner catch twice in the same game. He had 7 Turnovers (Harden had 8), Nurk and Book each had 4, Royce 3, Brad 2 and Grayson and Miles Plumlee each had 1.

At least 4 or 5 of those turnovers were unforced errors -- like the aforementioned KD stepping out of bounds and him also dribbling off of his foot. Book had a couple of careless unforced turnovers as well. Those are all easily fixable. I did notice for whatever reason, Bud ran some significant minutes without Tyus Jones and Monte Morris on the floor (even though combined they played 48 minutes -- with overtime, that says that we went 5 full minutes without either Point guard on the floor. That's a ton of time. I'd be curious to know how many of those 22 turnovers occurred in those minutes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gerald Bourguet at PHNX Suns gives fans a lot of free content. I may have to cough up the money and pay for his articles.

He is very good at his job and works hard at it.

Even with all our sniping back and forth last night, we definitely agree on Gerald. I've thought about paying as well, but I'm not so sure anymore -- I'm not a huge fan of their new lineup.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant made the biggest shot of the game at the end of regulation, but even so, he didn't look very good out there overall. A two-year extension, taking him to age 39, is really going to hurt.

The Suns are mentally stronger than they were last year, and that paid off last night. But for all of the changes in coaching and personnel, the offense looked basically the same, and the propensity for idiotic turnovers hasn't changed a bit.
25 points is not the definition of "didn't look very good overall". If he keeps playing like this despite the handle issues he will still be one of the best players in the league just like last year. The problem is, he is one of the GOAT. So, he is held to a different standard than just about everybody else.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'll reserve judgement until there is a larger sample size, but they looked like pretenders last night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with all our sniping back and forth last night, we definitely agree on Gerald. I've thought about paying as well, but I'm not so sure anymore -- I'm not a huge fan of their new lineup.

Chaplin, I don't understand why comments should get personal. I'm all about the Suns and have no interest in quarreling.

You enjoy the Suns as well. Maybe we should start over. It's never too late.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the game is on the line and we need a final bucket to win or tie, I'm not sure you how you can not say he's money. The problem isn't the end of the game, the problems happen in the normal course of non-clutch play.
The issue is that if KD wasn't so careless with the basketball, Suns would not have needed a money shot.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even after last year, I think we need a bigger sample size to start proclaiming the team is the same and that they will continue to have the same turnover problems.

I don't think I've ever seen Kevin Durant step out of bounds on a corner catch twice in the same game. He had 7 Turnovers (Harden had 8), Nurk and Book each had 4, Royce 3, Brad 2 and Grayson and Miles Plumlee each had 1.

At least 4 or 5 of those turnovers were unforced errors -- like the aforementioned KD stepping out of bounds and him also dribbling off of his foot. Book had a couple of careless unforced turnovers as well. Those are all easily fixable. I did notice for whatever reason, Bud ran some significant minutes without Tyus Jones and Monte Morris on the floor (even though combined they played 48 minutes -- with overtime, that says that we went 5 full minutes without either Point guard on the floor. That's a ton of time. I'd be curious to know how many of those 22 turnovers occurred in those minutes.

Durant had 7 turnovers and zero assists, that is hard to pull off.

There was a lot of ball movement from the team that was encouraging but it was still freezing when it got to Durant’s hands.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I only followed gm on box was out l n :)

That shot to force ot by kd was clutchhhhh wow

Cards and suns w nice start to weekend

Reallyyyyy hope suns beat james duo lakers

Also hangin on after book fout wheww 420 bong rip neon kush to that :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is that if KD wasn't so careless with the basketball, Suns would not have needed a money shot.

For the moment, I'm taking the position it's just one game and the season opener in a hostile environment.

The Suns need to get KD more open looks rather than pressured ones.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where Bud is going to earn his money. Hopefully.

I think it's reasonable to expect the Suns to undergo a transition phase from last season to this season.

The Suns go from Booker and Beal as the primary ball handlers to Tyus Jones and Monte Morris as the primary ball handlers.

At least, I hope the Suns can adjust to having premium point guards on their roster. Let them create most of the open looks.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Durant had 7 turnovers and zero assists, that is hard to pull off.

There was a lot of ball movement from the team that was encouraging but it was still freezing when it got to Durant’s hands.

Great point about the assists. Or lack of.

He looked old out there but I would still give the ball to him in a clutch situation.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say he benefited from a lot of bogus foul calls:) just bully your way to the rim and the officials will take it from there. Really pathetic…

This is the new nba where the offense pushes the ball into the chest of the defender to draw a foul.

Brown did this well in the finals. I think Coffey and Mann did this last night too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I never got a good look at it, that sixth foul on Devin Booker guarding a much bigger Zubac looked flimsy. And that was a critical part of the game to call it.

Booker certainly does not get the star treatment.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is the new nba where the offense pushes the ball into the chest of the defender to draw a foul.

Brown did this well in the finals. I think Coffey and Mann did this last night too.
Makes me miss the old days when you actually had to use some agility and finesse to get around the defender.

Saw a clip of Barkley weaving through all 5 defenders on a drive to the basket earlier today and it was a thing of beauty..

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
One should call a foul when a foul actually occurs not chaotic movements.

Jordan got these calls as well so it’s not new!
MJ hardly ever just threw himself into a defender though. Most contact on drives nowadays is created by the offensive player lowering their shoulder. That used to lead to a lot of offensive fouls.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MJ hardly ever just threw himself into a defender though. Most contact on drives nowadays is created by the offensive player lowering their shoulder. That used to lead to a lot of offensive fouls.

Yes. I remember when the offensive player lowering a shoulder into a defender was an automatic offensive foul.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan