Suns @ Clippers Wednesday game thread, October 23rd, 2024: Season Opener

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game but just from following the box score and reading the game thread, I think you're being generous. I'd have called them wannabe pretenders, a full step below pretender class. Fortunately, it's just one game and we could come out like world beaters tomorrow night.

That's a fair assessment. They'd get a C for effort and that's largely because they did step up and play hard to close the game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fair assessment. They'd get a C for effort and that's largely because they did step up and play hard to close the game.
Yeah there were bright spots but Durant really worries me even with him scoring 25 points. We have to find a better way to close games and quarters without using him as the primary scorer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah there were bright spots but Durant really worries me even with him scoring 25 points. We have to find a better way to close games and quarters without using him as the primary scorer.

It feels like there's some Ayton-esque excuses made for him based on the box score. He needs to play smarter and more structured.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can score 25 because he's selfish. Efficiency is more important than his point total.
He was one of the top scorers in the NBA last year because he is one of the best players PERIOD. It didn't stop Book from taking his shots either or Grayson leading the NBA in 3's. He also averaged 5 assists per game. So, not it's not simply because he is selfish. Only starters Beal and Allen had a higher EFG than Durant last year.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was one of the top scorers in the NBA last year because he is one of the best players PERIOD. It didn't stop Book from taking his shots either or Grayson leading the NBA in 3's. He also averaged 5 assists per game. So, not it's not simply because he is selfish.

Grayson leading the league in 3pt shooting is overstated. Who led the 2 years prior? It's nice for a role player but KD's ball hog tendencies don't really effect it.

Again, you're overstating KD's play. He had 0 assists and 7 turnovers while shooting 5 shots more than anyone else. He's got tunnel vision in the 4th and you can say whatever you want to fluff him up but you can't disprove that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson leading the league in 3pt shooting is overstated. Who led the 2 years prior? It's nice for a role player but KD's ball hog tendencies don't really effect it.

Again, you're overstating KD's play. He had 0 assists and 7 turnovers while shooting 5 shots more than anyone else. He's got tunnel vision in the 4th and you can say whatever you want to fluff him up but you can't disprove that.
Leading the league is "overstated"? No it's not. You don't lead the league the entire season and say it's "overstated". With the amount of shots KD and Book take it was a huge accomplishment.

I am not talking about one game. I am talking his play in general. He likely wouldn't have taken 5 more shots in that game if it wasn't for Booker fouling out. So, yes, just like one game doesn't mean all was positive, it doesn't mean all was negative either. Generalizing him as selfish is ridiculous. He is a go to player on this team by design.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leading the league is "overstated"? No it's not. You don't lead the league the entire season and say it's "overstated". With the amount of shots KD and Book take it was a huge accomplishment.

I am not talking about one game. I am talking his play in general. He likely wouldn't have taken 5 more shots in that game if it wasn't for Booker fouling out. So, yes, just like one game doesn't mean all was positive, it doesn't mean all was negative either. Generalizing him as selfish is ridiculous. He is a go to player on this team by design.

We've seen 1 game under Bud and you're ready to say it's by design. Ok.

You can't name who led the league before Grayson says how over inflated that is here. It's not a negative but it's not an MVP, All-Star, or award. It's nice to have but how many playoff games did that win us?

Book fouled out with like 3-4 minutes to go. Beal took over in the OT period. I'm highly skeptical KD and Book would have had an even number of attempts had Book not fouled out.

Almost all of his turnovers were on bad movement also. They weren't bad passes. He rarely looks for anyone else. It's quite comical how you're shifting things to hype him up. He isn't Basketball Jesus, he has flaws and it's fine to point them out. I didn't say he needs to be traded or anything but you're jumping to deflect from his negatives, which did happen and you don't have a real defense for.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've seen 1 game under Bud and you're ready to say it's by design. Ok.

You can't name who led the league before Grayson says how over inflated that is here. It's not a negative but it's not an MVP, All-Star, or award. It's nice to have but how many playoff games did that win us?

Book fouled out with like 3-4 minutes to go. Beal took over in the OT period. I'm highly skeptical KD and Book would have had an even number of attempts had Book not fouled out.

Almost all of his turnovers were on bad movement also. They weren't bad passes. He rarely looks for anyone else. It's quite comical how you're shifting things to hype him up. He isn't Basketball Jesus, he has flaws and it's fine to point them out. I didn't say he needs to be traded or anything but you're jumping to deflect from his negatives, which did happen and you don't have a real defense for.
Huh? The offense is built around the big 3 taking the most shots. On any given night it will be Book, Durant or Beal with the most shots. Yes....that's by design. Since when has that changed? Can you show me ANYTHING from Bud that says that will be different this year?

You are acting like 5 shots is the grand canyon. That's 1 extra shot through 5 periods of play. That's NOTHING.

Turnovers is something we have all acknowledged and brought up repeatedly since last year. 5 assists per game last year is nothing to sneeze at. There are NBA point guards who don't average 5 assists per game. Considering how this teams is built offensively to make a generalization he is selfish is ridiculous.

Nobody said he was basketball Jesus. Nobody said you are suggesting we trade him. Nobody said he doesn't have a turnover problem. Please don't put words into my mouth just to try and make a point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? The offense is built around the big 3 taking the most shots. On any given night it will be Book, Durant or Beal with the most shots. Yes....that's by design. Since when has that changed? Can you show me ANYTHING from Bud that says that will be different this year?

You are acting like 5 shots is the grand canyon. That's 1 extra shot through 5 periods of play. That's NOTHING.

Turnovers is something we have all acknowledged and brought up repeatedly since last year. 5 assists per game last year is nothing to sneeze at. There are NBA point guards who don't average 5 assists per game. Considering how this teams is built offensively to make a generalization he is selfish is ridiculous.

Nobody said he was basketball Jesus. Nobody said you are suggesting we trade him. Nobody said he doesn't have a turnover problem. Please don't put words into my mouth just to try and make a point.

I point out how he played and you keep going to the past. 5 is 30% more than anyone else and Beal carried OT. He should have had more shots since he was the best Sun all game. Can you point to anything he did last night to say he deserved or earned 30% more shots than Beal? I don't think anyone can. You're defending him by pointing the past. It doesn't make sense. I didn't put words in your mouth, you're the one mentioning the past for some reason. I don't get it. Why is it not ok to point out the negatives and if they continue it won't be sustainable for success?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan