Suns.com: Jones’ Inside-Outside Ability a Perfect Fit for Suns

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/faye_060831.html

Jones’ Inside-Outside Ability a Perfect Fit for Suns

By Brad G. Faye, Suns.com
Posted: Aug. 31, 2006
As NBA teams begin to finalize their training camp rosters, they generally don’t anticipate signing too many players coming off career years. The Phoenix Suns, however, have done exactly that – signing veteran swingman Jumaine Jones to a one-year contract on Thursday.

With the Bobcats last season, the former Georgia Bulldog and first-team All-SEC player, enjoyed perhaps his best NBA game to date when he scored 31 points against his former team the Lakers. The career-high mark made possible by the forward’s versatility to attack teams both inside as well as outside.

Jones hit a career-best 115 shots from beyond the arc last season – his third time surpassing the century mark in the past four seasons – while also pulling down 376 rebounds. On the year, he recorded eight 20-plus scoring nights and notched three double-doubles, meaning the Suns can expect a little bit of everything from the 6-foot-8, 230-pound forward in his first year with Phoenix.

“Cotton Fitzsimmons always said you can never have too many shooters, so we’re not only getting that with Jumaine but a guy who can also play down low and rebound,” Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin said. “It’s not really a matter of us necessarily looking for one more than the other with Jumaine but depending on the situation, he can adapt to both which is always helpful.”

Also helpful will be Jones’ desire to run, which he will do early and often in Mike D’Antoni’s run-and-gun style of play.

“I’ve primarily been with Eastern Conference teams in my career, but I had a chance to play in Los Angeles a couple years back and loved the fast pace of a West Coast offense,” Jones said. “I’m definitely happy to be out here in Phoenix and enjoying that up-tempo style of play again.”

As much as Jones is looking forward to running, he admits he is even more looking forward to winning. That’s something he hasn’t been too accustomed to since the 76ers reached the NBA Finals in 2001. Among his teammates with that Sixers squad was current Suns sharpshooter Raja Bell, who Jones said was always full of potential.

“I always thought Raja was a tough, hard-nosed player that could give you points,” Jones added. “I just thought he got caught in situations which didn’t allow him to showcase his talents. He’s definitely a guy I’ve got a lot of respect for.”

Bell isn’t the only current Sun Jones has ties to. In 1998, Jones was part of the gold-winning Goodwill Games team representing the United States – a team that almost featured a very young and pre-Phoenix Shawn Marion who just missed out on joining the roster.

“I remember we all felt he should’ve made the team and were really surprised to see him cut,” Jones said. “It’s possible though that the experience has helped Shawn become the great player he has. A player like him probably didn’t get cut often so maybe had something to prove coming into the league.”

While reuniting with two former teammates on a contending ballclub is a plus for Jones, the swingman said he was really looking forward to playing alongside two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash.

“I have a lot of respect for Brevin Knight from my time in Charlotte, but Steve Nash is a two-time MVP in this league,” Jones smiled. “Just watching him play last season was amazing, so I’m really looking forward to seeing him on more of a regular basis now that I’m here.”

That first opportunity for Jones comes Oct. 31 when the Suns tip-off the season on the road against the Los Angeles Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/release_060831.html

Suns Sign Versatile Jumaine Jones

Posted: Aug. 31, 2006
The Phoenix Suns announced today that they have signed free-agent forward Jumaine Jones to a one-year contract.

A 6-8, 230-pound forward, Jones appeared in 76 games last season for the Charlotte Bobcats, scoring a career-best 10.5 points and grabbing 4.9 rebounds per game. In 42 games as a starter, he averaged 13.3 points and 5.7 rebounds, including a career-high 31 point (13-20 FG, 5-8 3FG) outburst versus the L.A. Lakers on February 3. On the year, he recorded eight 20-plus scoring nights and three double-doubles.

Entering his eighth NBA campaign, Jones has made 100 or more three-point field goals in three of the last four seasons, including a career-best 115 trifectas in 2005-06. With a career .350 percentage from three-point territory, Jones has hit on 415-1186 attempts. He poured in a season-high six threes en-route to a 25-point, eight rebound night on March 15 at Washington.

The 27-year-old has appeared in 453 games (115 starts) with Philadelphia, Cleveland, Boston, L.A. Lakers and Charlotte with career averages of 7.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 0.9 assists in 21.3 minutes.

Jones, who averaged 16.6 points and 9.0 rebounds in 31.7 minutes in two seasons at the University of Georgia, was originally drafted by Atlanta with the 27th overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft, but had his draft rights traded to the 76ers on June 30, 1999.

The Suns roster now stands at 13 and is attached.

The Suns begin the regular season with a pair of nationally televised games at the Los Angeles Lakers on Oct. 31 on TNT and the Los Angeles Clippers at the US Airways Center on Nov. 1 on ESPN.

Last edited:

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
Jumaine seems like a good character guy and I hope he knows what size ring to order.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He will be a contributor... I can smell it... arr.. nah thats just me..

But I'm excited!!.. well.. not really... still too far off til next season..

But Still a good addition!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05