Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shawn Marion[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$13,770,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$15,070,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,440,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$17,180,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steve Nash[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$9,625,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$10,500,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$11,375,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$12,250,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$13,125,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kurt Thomas[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$6,620,068[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$7,355,625[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$8,091,187[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$0[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raja Bell[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jim Jackson[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,700,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amare Stoudemire [/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,589,022[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,508,125[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]James Jones[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,400,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,652,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,904,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,156,000[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boris Diaw-Riffiod[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,127,280[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,795,757[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,587,685[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brian Grant[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,670,00[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leandrinho Barbosa[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$930,600[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,679,733[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,502,802[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pat Burke[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dijon Thompson[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$398,762[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TOTALS:[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$47,430,726[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$35,577,625[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$38,810,187[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$32,586,000[/font]​

Key: Player Option/ Team Option / Qualifying Offer / 80% Scale Offer

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Personally I wish Jake would take his $1.9+ million salary of our books, but I think he won't get any offers for more than that, so I think he's here next year.

How does resigning Amare and JJ affect us going over the cap? I know we can resign our own with some kind of relief, but I am not sure how that works. :shrug:

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Personally I wish Jake would take his $1.9+ million salary of our books, but I think he won't get any offers for more than that, so I think he's here next year.

How does resigning Amare and JJ affect us going over the cap? I know we can resign our own with some kind of relief, but I am not sure how that works. :shrug:

Amare's contract will not go into effect until 07'-08'. JJ's would kick in next season. But Howard's contract comes off after next season.

asudevil83

Reaction score
we actually dont have any cap space......JJ automatically takes a "cap hold" of around $5.5mil because he is a restricted FA. we COULD renounces his right, and he'd become a UFA....but that would be crazy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
we actually dont have any cap space......JJ automatically takes a "cap hold" of around $5.5mil because he is a restricted FA. we COULD renounces his right, and he'd become a UFA....but that would be crazy.

Is this the same for RFA's? The qualifying offer for JJ is 3.2 million. It would only make sense for that to be the salary hold for him.

The two exceptions add up to more than what the Suns are below the cap anyway. So instead of renouncing the exceptions, its best to have them available.

If there were some big FA that we really wanted, we could do it. But retaining Bird rights for JJ, and using the two exceptions gives us the most flexibility. And you know "flexibility" is BC's favorite word (besides "going forward").

Last edited:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Get rid of Jake, he's useless. I would be surprised if he makes another squad.

asudevil83

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Is this the same for RFA's? The qualifying offer for JJ is 3.2 million. It would only make sense for that to be the salary hold for him.

The two exceptions add up to more than what the Suns are below the cap anyway. So instead of renouncing the exceptions, its best to have them available.

If there were some big FA that we really wanted, we could do it. But retaining Bird rights for JJ, and using the two exceptions gives us the most flexibility. And you know "flexibility" is BC's favorite word (besides "going forward").

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#28

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Get rid of Jake, he's useless. I would be surprised if he makes another squad.

Jake's not going anywhere. Besides, do you think you could come up with 6 minimum guys to fill up the roster? 14 is the minimum, at least he'll help us in that respect.

sunsfn

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

Did you, or do you work for the Cleveland Cavaliers?? :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Jake's not going anywhere. Besides, do you think you could come up with 6 minimum guys to fill up the roster? 14 is the minimum, at least he'll help us in that respect.

I'd rather have guys playing for the minimum and/or rookies filling up spots 11-14. Jake has to go, he is costing about 3 times as much as he should be. Jake is going to make about $2M, thats enough to sign 3 players to low level contracts I believe. The Suns should trade Jake for ANYTHING. If they can get a cheap player back in return, great! If not, ah well. I'd be willing to trade him for conditional picks or the rights to a Euro we may never use. I don't feel like we need to get anything back in a trade for Jake, losing him would just be like not resigning a FA.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Anyone know if that goon that piped Nancy Kerrigan's knee is out of the hole, yet? :eek: Is he willing to make a trip to Phoenix for a percentage on $1.9 million? :D

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Anyone know if that goon that piped Nancy Kerrigan's knee is out of the hole, yet? :eek: Is he willing to make a trip to Phoenix for a percentage on $1.9 million? :D

Guess I can put away that phone number now that Jake is heading to Charlotte! :thumbup:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Shawn Marion $13,770,000
Steve Nash $9,625,000
Howard Eisley $6,906,250
Quentin Richardson $6,300,000
Joe Johnson $0
Jim Jackson $2,700,000
Amare Stoudemire $2,589,022
Leandrinho Barbosa $930,600
Dijon Thompson $385,000
Walter McCarty $0
Bo Outlaw $0
Steven Hunter $0
Paul Shirley $0
TOTALS: $45,143,372 Cap: ??? $47Million-51Million TBA

so with respect to our actualy salary cap number next year, is this a fair estimate so far?

Shawn Marion $13,770,000
Steve Nash $9,625,000
Howard Eisley AMNESTY
Kurt Thomas $6,620,000
Joe Johnson $12,500,000
Jim Jackson $2,700,000
Amare Stoudemire $2,589,022
Leandrinho Barbosa $930,600
Dijon Thompson $385,000
Lucus Tischer $385,000
Raja Bell $4,500,000

This equals about $54M for 10 guys. We still need to get 4 more guys. The cap is expected to be just about $49.5M, with a luxury tax threshold of $61M. At this point, i think the absolute BEST we could hope for is:
Hunter (or other big man) for the LLE: $2.0M
Finley for the vet. min: $1.8M
2 scrubs: $770k (2 min contracts)

the worst we could hope for is 4 scrubs: $1.54M

this means it is reasonable to expect a cap figure in 05/06 somewhere between $55.6M and $58.6M, either way it should be below the tax threshold even if the threshold were to drop a little.

however, in 06-07 it will be impossible to stay below the tax threshold with a trade...

Last edited:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
in 06-07, these will be the known cap fig's (educated guess for amare)

Shawn Marion $15,070,000
Steve Nash $10,500,000
Kurt Thomas $7,350,000
Joe Johnson $13,750,000
Amare Stoudemire $13,000,000
Leandrinho Barbosa $1,600,000
Raja Bell $5,000,000

that alone is over $66M, and they still have to sign 7 players!

So, at best, we have 1 more year with this group. Lets enjoy while we can (assuming JJ is matched) :)

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
playstation said:
in 06-07, these will be the known cap fig's (educated guess for amare)

Shawn Marion $15,070,000
Steve Nash $10,500,000
Kurt Thomas $7,350,000
Joe Johnson $13,750,000
Amare Stoudemire $13,000,000
Leandrinho Barbosa $1,600,000
Raja Bell $5,000,000

that alone is over $66M, and they still have to sign 7 players!

So, at best, we have 1 more year with this group. Lets enjoy while we can (assuming JJ is matched) :)

At least we enjoyed it last year while we could. The 04-05 Suns will go down down in history as the team that could have been. I enjoyed the hell out of that team, and this past year will go down as one of the very best in my life as a basketball fan.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The salary cap will be set at $49.5 million, an increase of $5.63 million from last season.

For the first time, teams will know before the season begins what the luxury tax threshold will be -- $61.7 million. Teams with payrolls over that will have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on the amount of their payroll that exceeds the $61.7 million.

Under the old luxury tax system, teams did not know until the season ended whether the luxury tax would even kick in, or what the threshold was. The new rules provide a level of cost certainty to replace the cost mystery many owners complained about.

Free agents signing under the midlevel exception, which can offered by teams who are over the salary cap, can sign contracts beginning at $5 million annually.

Among the details:

Teams will have a one-time chance to waive a player under contract and be relieved of any luxury tax liability. Waiving Michael Finley could save Dallas at least $51 million; the Mavs would be barred from re-signing him until his contract expires after the 2007-08 season, and they still would have to pay his full salary.

The minimum age for draft eligibility increases by one year. U.S. players must be at least one year removed from their high school class' graduation to be draft eligible. International players must turn 19 during the calendar year of that draft.

The minimum team salary is now $37.125 million.

The players will receive no less than 57 percent of basketball-related income, a percentage that will increase as revenues increase.

The maximum length of any contract drops from seven years to six. Free agents changing teams can sign for five years, down from six.

The maximum annual salary increase drops from 12.5 percent to 10.5 percent.

Teams may assign players to the NBA Development League during their first two seasons.

Veterans are subject to four random drug tests. The old rules called for one test during training camp. Rules are different for rookies.

Players can now appeal suspensions longer than 12 games for on-court misconduct.

The second-year Charlotte Bobcats, as part of their expansion restrictions, have a salary cap of $37.125 million next season, and a minimum salary of $27.84 million.

Just some info to help. $49.5 Million salary cap! :cool:

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Updated until the JJ trade or signing happens.

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Amare's contract will not go into effect until 07'-08'. JJ's would kick in next season. But Howard's contract comes off after next season.
I thought it was 06-07

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
playstation said:
At least we enjoyed it last year while we could. The 04-05 Suns will go down down in history as the team that could have been. I enjoyed the hell out of that team, and this past year will go down as one of the very best in my life as a basketball fan.
UPdate on STAT: i'm pretty sure i heard 5 year 80 mill which is like 16 mil, not 13, so we're screwed even more. Barbosa's gotta go, and we get some young guns(not Q or miles) in here. i'm talkin bout them 2 1st rounders we better be getting.
EDIT EDIT EDIT:

We are gonna be screwed guys, there's no way we can keep JJ for more than a couple years. You got nash: 9.6-7 mil, matrix: 16(round up) mil and stoudemire will be 16 mil so those three alone are gonna be about 42 mill pretty soon, and the cap is 49.5???

Last edited by a moderator:

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yuma said:
yeah, while we're at it, let's get that college goon from temple(?) that broke that other guy's arm and ended his season. then maybe he can kick ginobili's ass and break some limbs.

TRIPLE POST!!! OH SNAP!!!

also i have 23 now, :D