Suns DO want Diener!

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I heard that Arroyo was in the doghouse again, but in reality who knows. It's not like teams come out and say "We really don't need him, but we'd like to showcase him and pretend like he plays a vital role to our club so that we can get more in return".

Why else do you think the Suns are playin Banks lately?

exquisite

Reaction score
I am just confused as to what they are doing in Orlando, which PG do they want to get rid of? Carlos would fit here better.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I am just confused as to what they are doing in Orlando, which PG do they want to get rid of? Carlos would fit here better.

Arroyo is a headcase and a poor decision-maker. He can score very well, but he often alienates teammates because of his selfish play. There is a reason why someone as talented as he is hasn't stuck with a team for more than a couple seasons. With that said I would still rather have him over Banks.

exquisite

Reaction score
They seem to have a strong Puerto Rican community there so they wouldn't want to trade Carlos, I say we trade Banks for Arroyo

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I feel like we've been down this road with Banks. Let's just stay put and draft three young players...

No way the Suns draft and keep THREE rookies. Write it down, it will never happen. They might draft 2 if they feel they are quality individuals but no way this team would put up with 3 rookies.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh.

Even knowing how the fans are obsessed with adding a white backup PG, I still can't believe the fuss that surrounds this poor man's Dan Dickau.

I don't know about your assessment of Diener, but hte race comment is intriguing. I find MOST of my coveted point guards are rather pale: Paul, Hinrich, Rodriguez, Blake, Duhon, Ridnour, Diener, Dickau... I'd rather have Paul than any two of the others but still it is disconcerting.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I just don't believe that, Andy. Marcus doesn't have a lot of trade value, but he certainly doesn't have NEGATIVE trade value, although most of this board likes to think so. You make it sound like he shouldn't be in the NBA. He's a solid player that may not be the best fit in this system, but that doesn't mean he has negative trade value.

I think that Banks would be a starter on a some NBA teams. I was in favor of the signing, but I never bought into the fact he was a PG. It didn't make any sense for the Suns to resign Barbosa and get Banks - it should have been one or the other.

Banks does have negative value right now because he hasn't played all season - and just got a deal over 20 million. Once he gets on the floor some it will help his value. He DOES belong in the NBA, and not only that he belongs in an NBA rotation.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The most reasonable poster I found (the [second] response is sarcastic, obviously):

Well its not a great trade. I'm aware of Banks. He can be a lock down defender. In a half court game could really be a real good defender. In Phoenix he gets lost in the tempo.

Banks is pretty good. Lots of teams have wanted him in the past. Playing in Phoenix is not good for him. One he looks horrible compard to Nash and he isnt. Two he just isn't really good in up tempo offense.

He wouldn't be better than Jameer or Carlos but I think he is close to there level. You would have 3 pgs that are all about same level. Paying way to much money for average play.

If this trade happens its really a opportunity to trade for players that fit your style more. Banks in this slow it style could cause havoc for PGs if he gets back to on the ball pressure. Deiner and Garrity fit well for Phoenix. I'm not sure either of them will ever get consistent play for the Magic.

To me it only makes the Magic better defensively. I think Phoenix gets a lot better than the Magic in this deal. The only reason I would do this deal is because something was in the works with Carlos Arroyo.

DiplomaticMagic wrote:
there has to be more to this trade marcus banks is at 20 mill and diener is still in his rookie contract but this is horrible i really dont want anybody from the suns they do have nash & amare but we dont need him if anything it would be marion but still

Yeah who would want those guys from the Suns. We definetely couldnt use Nash or Amare. Bell dont need him either. Barbosa couldn't use him either.

It seems to me that the only realistic scenario would be something like:

ORL trades Arroyo to MEM or ATL for front court help. Then, PHO trades Banks + some late pick to ORL for Diener + Garrity.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
It's the only explanation I can come up with for anybody wanting to bring in Gerry McNamara.

As for Diener, his name has been a constant drumbeat on this board for nearly two years now. I know he was a great shooter in college, but seriously--there's at least a 90% chance he can't play for the Suns, and probably a 99% chance we'll never get to find out.

I hope this is the last Diener thread until next summer.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There are a lot of teams that need a point guard more than the Suns.
A team like Detroit might be willing to give up a weak pick and/or a mediocre big for Banks.

I long for the old days when all you had to consider come the trade deadline were the players abilities. Now you have to factor in salary which makes for some bizarre looking trades.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
From the Magic's board:

Without a decent 1st rounder this deal is awful. The Suns screwed up by signing Banks and want to dump his salary.

The Suns do have three 1st rounders though (Hawks, Cavs and their own) next year. My guess is Otis would do it for the Hawks pick, possibly the Cavs but not the Suns pick.

If they are not offering a pick, this deal is crap and they are simply trying to steal Travis.

I don't think a potential top 5 pick in the deepest draft in NBA history is too much for Diener. I called Isiah Thomas and he agreed, so let's do it.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Trading Marcus Banks and Cavs 1st Rounder is fair (I'm saying this only watching 1 game of Travis Diener at Marquette) and Garrity's expiring contract would be welcomed... and I've said it before, this Draft is overrated outside of the top tier bigman.

It's just that Banks was the one Tradeable piece the Team had left for a servicable bigman...

Nash

Reaction score
I've been one of those guilty of wanting Diener here. I am kind of happy the Suns are considering him but I think the Atl/Cavs picks would be too much for him. too much.
I wonder how the Magic can ask for such a high price for a second round player they have seldom used.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Skiles may be interested in Banks if they move Gordon? Banks seems like a Skiles type of defender. Maybe we can package Banks and another contract for P.J. Brown. I only brought this up because Gambo was discussing the Suns going after a P.J. Brown type player to guard Dirk.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Has there been talks of moving Gordon? I don't see why they would want to do that, he's one of their best players.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
From the Magic's board:

I don't think a potential top 5 pick in the deepest draft in NBA history is too much for Diener. I called Isiah Thomas and he agreed, so let's do it.

Thats ridiculous. I probably want Diener on the Suns more than anyone here - and I would be nervous about even giving up our own first rounder. No way I would trade the Cavs or especially Atlanta's for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats ridiculous. I probably want Diener on the Suns more than anyone here - and I would be nervous about even giving up our own first rounder. No way I would trade the Cavs or especially Atlanta's for him.

I've only seen Diener play one time so it's difficult for me to evaluate him. However, the one time I did see him play he reminded me of a Steve Blake type player. I too would be hesitant about the Suns giving up even their first round pick for him.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BONUS SHOTS
Suns sources say they are not actively targeting Orlando reserve guard Travis Deiner and haven’t spoken with the Magic in months regarding a deal. Florida Today reported the Suns making repeated inquiries about Deiner, who makes $664,000, but even that salary would push the Suns over the luxury-tax threshold.

The Magic appear to have no interest in taking a bigger salary (Banks) back in return. …
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=83193

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05