Suns draft Ryan Dunn at #28

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading about Ryan Dunn, I keep seeing the phrase, "Best defender in the draft" in analysis and reviews of this kid. IDK, probably just hype.
It was the universal evaluation before the draft. He is not just the best defender in this draft, he might be the best defender to come out in a few years.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
It was the universal evaluation before the draft. He is not just the best defender in this draft, he might be the best defender to come out in a few years.
For some reason he reminds me of Scottie Pippen.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Some have even said EVER.

Best defensive prospect EVER.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yep, lots of comparisons to Matisse Thybulle, which I know won't blow a lot of poeple's hair back, but Matisse is a very good player who's talents are being completely wasted in Portland. When he was on the Sixers he was a key cog as their defensive stalwart on the wing.

Dunn I think is a bit bigger, longer, a bit more athletic, while Thybulle is and was a bad shooter coming out of college, Dunn is a bit worse.

Thybulle, Bruce Bowen, Tony Allen... defensive studs who grind and do a lot of the little things. If he can be that, I'd be thrilled.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yep, lots of comparisons to Matisse Thybulle, which I know won't blow a lot of poeple's hair back, but Matisse is a very good player who's talents are being completely wasted in Portland. When he was on the Sixers he was a key cog as their defensive stalwart on the wing.

Dunn I think is a bit bigger, longer, a bit more athletic, while Thybulle is and was a bad shooter coming out of college, Dunn is a bit worse.

Thybulle, Bruce Bowen, Tony Allen... defensive studs who grind and do a lot of the little things. If he can be that, I'd be thrilled.
I remember Thybulle played Book better than anyone when he was with Philly. I also think he has improved his shot. I watched him a little with Portland and was hitting 3s at a decent clip.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated calls his defensive ability "ridiculous" https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-ryan-dunn-potential-as-a-generational-defender

I am convinced that he needs to start. Yes. Not Royce or Grayson. The energy and motor he will bring to the starting lineup will be infectious to the other players. He will be able to defend the other team's best player which will make every other Suns player a better defender because they will get easier defensive assignments.

It is hard to fathom, but the Suns may have gotten four legit roster players in this draft and undrafted free agency.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Little bit of trivia. Anyone know what player had the best defensive rating ever for a rookie?

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated calls his defensive ability "ridiculous" https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-ryan-dunn-potential-as-a-generational-defender

I am convinced that he needs to start. Yes. Not Royce or Grayson. The energy and motor he will bring to the starting lineup will be infectious to the other players. He will be able to defend the other team's best player which will make every other Suns player a better defender because they will get easier defensive assignments.

It is hard to fathom, but the Suns may have gotten four legit roster players in this draft and undrafted free agency.
At start of last season, the initial idea was to start Okogie to defend the best player 1-3, that's when JO thought he'd fight for all-def. NBA honor. Then, Vogel spent half season to integrate all the newcomers from Goodwin, Little, Yuta, to KBD that left little playing time for JO.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is what I was saying earlier. Some have already said he’s the best defensive prospect, ever. Doesn’t mean he will be an all time defensive great, but with those measurables, motor, and film to back up that claim, he makes a case for it.

IMO he’s bigger than he’s listed as even with the nba combine numbers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he is going to surprise us as a shooter. His mechanics are solid. His role was not to take those shots in college, so when he did it was because a play broke down.

It’s the free throws that give me pause.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See the Bridges thread. I guess Ryan is opening eyes in a positive way about his shooting in practice. It is really intriguing to imagine what Dunn can be if he becomes even an average shooter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at one scouting site from before the draft. They said what Haliburton is to distribution, and what Zion is to athleticism, Dunn is to defense. He is a generational defensive talent.

BTW, defense translates best from college to pros, meaning he will likely be an excellent defender out of the gate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd