Suns draft Ryan Dunn at #28

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gerald Bourguet said that it's tough to transcribe Ryan's interviews because he talks so fast.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This far in summer league his shooting is disappointingly as advertised.
He's not going to be an offensive star but he doesn't need to be. He just needs to set screens, cut, and dunk. Hopefully he'll look better with pros.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This far in summer league his shooting is disappointingly as advertised.
I remember thinking that about Bridges when we first got him. Watching Dunn, he has good defensive instincts. Hopefully the offense comes in time like it did with Bridges.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Although Mikal Bridges could already shoot while at Villanova.

Yeah, but he struggled with us. He was VERY reluctant when he started with us. Passed out of open shots. We were all complaining he had to start taking shots.
Dunn shot 54.4% in college, and Bridges shot 52.5% (according to the Villanova website.) It didn't happen with Bridges and us overnight. He was just coming of age offensively in the last half of his final season with us. Which made it sad we traded him. I wouldn't close the door on Dunn so soon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but he struggled with us. He was VERY reluctant when he started with us. Passed out of open shots. We were all complaining he had to start taking shots.
Dunn shot 54.4% in college, and Bridges shot 52.5% (according to the Villanova website.) It didn't happen with Bridges and us overnight. He was just coming of age offensively in the last half of his final season with us. Which made it sad we traded him. I wouldn't close the door on Dunn so soon.

Compare the 3-point shooting and free throw percentages in college with each player.

Bridges didn't have to be a star when he first arrived in Phoenix. Then, when he arrives as a player, the Suns trade him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Reluctant is different than bad. Bridges was a good shooter who was shy, Dunn is simply a bad shooter.

Bridges is a great player and was a steal at the #10 pick.

We gotta be more realistic with Dunn.

Tony Allen, Bruce Bowen without the cheap shots... those are the type of players I think Dunn might have a chance to be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I remember thinking that about Bridges when we first got him. Watching Dunn, he has good defensive instincts. Hopefully the offense comes in time like it did with Bridges.
But bridges had a history of being MUCH better offensively than Dunn. Dunn has stunk offensively if he isn’t dunking the ball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bridges was never a full blown negative offensively. Right now it looks like Dunn will start out that way. No matter how you slice it bridges was leaps and bounds further along than Dunn offensively when he joined us.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bridges was never a full blown negative offensively. Right now it looks like Dunn will start out that way. No matter how you slice it bridges was leaps and bounds further along than Dunn offensively when he joined us.
No doubt him getting on the floor is his D. On O, he is a better finisher around the rim from what little I have seen of him. He does also seem to be more willing on offense even if he may not be as accomplished, which is a big thing. Last year we had all those guys come in and not shoot when they got on the floor. That wasn't helping us at all. Even Watanabe psyched himself out. I was excited at his time last year for several guys we picked up, and for whatever reason they all got scared to shoot. I lost count of them saying in interviews that either Book, or KD, or both were telling them to shoot. Then the next game, they wouldn't shoot! Give me a willing rookie that will put the ball up, over a veteran afraid to shoot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reluctant is different than bad. Bridges was a good shooter who was shy, Dunn is simply a bad shooter.

Bridges is a great player and was a steal at the #10 pick.

We gotta be more realistic with Dunn.

Tony Allen, Bruce Bowen without the cheap shots... those are the type of players I think Dunn might have a chance to be.

There are reasons why Dunn and Oso are picked where they are picked. I think we are expecting way too much from either in their first season. Dunn still has to overcome playing time from either JO or Bol Bol. I'm pretty curious how Bud will play the three players mentioned.

JO has been in the league a while now, hasn't proven he can shoot. As of now Dunn is a bigger and more versatile JO, who can hopefully grab us more rebounds.

Then does Bol Bol see the court more this year than last year? Eventually JO probably sees the bench full time or traded and we decide to move onto Dunn.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There are reasons why Dunn and Oso are picked where they are picked. I think we are expecting way too much from either in their first season. Dunn still has to overcome playing time from either JO or Bol Bol. I'm pretty curious how Bud will play the three players mentioned.

JO has been in the league a while now, hasn't proven he can shoot. As of now Dunn is a bigger and more versatile JO, who can hopefully grab us more rebounds.

Then does Bol Bol see the court more this year than last year? Eventually JO probably sees the bench full time or traded and we decide to move onto Dunn.
Bol only played a little more than 400 minutes for us last season. He needs to get way more time than that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depends on how he is used in the offense. If BUD parks him in the corner like most wings in the league it will be bad. If they keep him moving and cutting, he can be effective.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It depends on how he is used in the offense. If BUD parks him in the corner like most wings in the league it will be bad. If they keep him moving and cutting, he can be effective.
We are missing that cut to the basket guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy