Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns have emerged as a potential trade suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Suns, among the options being weighed as part of their well-chronicled desire to acquire an established player as they make an unexpected playoff push this season, have been exploring the feasibility of trading for the Lakers' four-time All-Star.

One option for the Suns, by virtue of their $5.6 million in available salary-cap space, is swapping the expiring contract of injured big man Emeka Okafor for Gasol, even though Okafor's $14.5 million salary this season falls well shy of Gasol's $19.3 million.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10392533/phoenix-suns-explore-deal-los-angeles-lakers-pau-gasol

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad idea. Especially if its more than just Okafor's deal. If its just Okafor for Gasol, it might be disruptive at worst, but if its a pick or something plus, its just yucky.

Didn't Big Al put up 40 on Gasol the other day, and then have an off game against our young bigs? I cannot see what benefit Gasol would be except some half court offensive depth.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers want something more in return for Gasol than Okafor. Also the salaries do not match. The devil would be in the details. Channing Frye's salary would help the Suns get there. I just hope the Suns do not do anything to endanger their chemistry and their future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the same article:
The appeal of a Gasol trade is that the Suns would be adding a front-line big man for the rest of the season without impacting their future flexibility to pursue younger stars via free agency or trade. It also gives Phoenix a chance to evaluate Gasol -- as well as acquire his Larry Bird rights -- before he becomes a free agent in July to assess whether he's a long-term fit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers want something more in return for Gasol than Okafor. Also the salaries do not match. The devil would be in the details. Channing Frye's salary would help the Suns get there. I just hope the Suns do not do anything to endanger their chemistry and their future.

Hoopshype is saying that the Suns have enough cap room to absorb the difference. Trading Frye would be a huge mistake unless they want to move Frye anyway for a FA run at someone else this summer. I cannot believe they would include Frye, he is just too big a part of the Suns success this year.

What the Lakers want, and what they end up getting are going to be two very different things. I think the Lakers have decided that Gasol is not in their future. They will let him walk this summer. Now they are just trying to recoup a little money.

Last edited:

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"The appeal of a Gasol trade is that the Suns would be adding a front-line big man for the rest of the season without impacting their future flexibility to pursue younger stars via free agency or trade. It also gives Phoenix a chance to evaluate Gasol -- as well as acquire his Larry Bird rights -- before he becomes a free agent in July to assess whether he's a long-term fit."

This is exactly what I said. Help for this year and see if they can fix him up and make him fit in the future. Brilliant!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoopshype is saying that the Suns have enough cap room to absorb the difference. Trading Frye would be a huge mistake unless they want to move Frye anyway for a FA run at someone else this summer.

I only mentioned Frye because he helped the salaries match. If the Suns can absorb the difference, this changes some of the financial dynamics. I don't think the trade will happen straight up unless the Suns sweeten it. My fear is the Suns give up too much.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoopshype is saying that the Suns have enough cap room to absorb the difference. Trading Frye would be a huge mistake unless they want to move Frye anyway for a FA run at someone else this summer. I cannot believe they would include Frye, he is just too big a part of the Suns success this year.

What the Lakers want, and what they end up getting are going to be two very different things. I think the Lakers have decided that Gasol is not in their future. They will let him walk this summer. Now they are just trying to recoup a little money.

It also helps the Lakers tank.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this trade happens, it will sort of remind me of the Nash trade where it looked like the Suns would lose Nash for nothing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see LA trying to get the 1st rounder they owe us next year back in the deal and if that is the case I wouldn't do it even if was just Okafor plus that pick for Pau. The Lakers are an absolute mess and won't be any better next year either. I don't believe there is any protection on the pick either so it's almost certain it will be a lottery pick. I would do the deal with Okafor + a couple of second rounders or the Indy pick this year. I wouldn't include any players outside of Christmas or Kravtsov either. I think it may be in their best interest to include one, or both, of those players in order to free up a roster spot in case we can add anyone of value on the March 1st waiver deadline. Usually a few decent vet's get bought out by bad team's in order to cling onto a playoff run.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A second round pick would probably be of no consequence. With 6 first round picks in the next two years, a second rounder is probably more of an annoyance than anything. I could see the Suns giving up Kravtsov.

HOpefully those two wins against Indiana haven't gone to their heads and they are thinking championship or something.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I'd be really disappointed if they traded Frye in a package for Gasol.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see LA trying to get the 1st rounder they owe us next year back in the deal and if that is the case I wouldn't do it even if was just Okafor plus that pick for Pau. The Lakers are an absolute mess and won't be any better next year either. I don't believe there is any protection on the pick either so it's almost certain it will be a lottery pick. I would do the deal with Okafor + a couple of second rounders or the Indy pick this year. I wouldn't include any players outside of Christmas or Kravtsov either. I think it may be in their best interest to include one, or both, of those players in order to free up a roster spot in case we can add anyone of value on the March 1st waiver deadline. Usually a few decent vet's get bought out by bad team's in order to cling onto a playoff run.

IMO, the Lakers will minimally want at least a first round pick. The Pacers pick and the T-Wolves pick might be two that I would consider. Also it could be a first round pick this season and the worst of the Suns two first round picks next season which would include the Lakers pick.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Bad idea. Especially if its more than just Okafor's deal. If its just Okafor for Gasol, it might be disruptive at worst, but if its a pick or something plus, its just yucky.

Didn't Big Al put up 40 on Gasol the other day, and then have an off game against our young bigs? I cannot see what benefit Gasol would be except some half court offensive depth.

To be fair, Gasol is averaging 22/12 over his last 10 games and still pretty solid. He is an immediate upgrade at the Center position - as much as I like Plumlee. If the Suns are trying to make a push now I'd be willing to give up Okafor and a pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Gasol is averaging 22/12 over his last 10 games and still pretty solid. He is an immediate upgrade at the Center position - as much as I like Plumlee. If the Suns are trying to make a push now I'd be willing to give up Okafor and a pick.

My gut tells me the Suns will give up two first round picks... the least of the Suns first round picks this season and next. I can live with that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My gut tells me the Suns will give up two first round picks... the least of the Suns first round picks this season and next. I can live with that.

I don't think our new GM is that stupid.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Two firsts? No way. Maybe if Gasol was 29 or 30.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gut wrencher in this trade is whether to use the Minnesota pick that can eventually turn into two second round picks like a pumkin in the Cinderella story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Two firsts? No way. Maybe if Gasol was 29 or 30.

I agree but I'm thinking about the Steve Nash trade to the Lakers in which the Suns received two first round picks and a couple of seconds as I recall. Of course Okafor alone is worth a first round pick.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'd actually be interested. Frye would still stretch the floor and Plumlee could become a part of the bench mob.

And if Bledsoe comes back healthy enough for a playoff run I think the Suns would be extremely scary.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I knew this would be a possibility when the rumors of a Bynum for Gasol swap were discussed a month ago.

PHX needs a low post threat, Frye & Co will not help in the playoffs. Okafor's contract alone should be able to get the post player they need. The best part is that it doesn't hurt PHX's cap situation next year and beyond. I personally was hoping PHX could get Greg Monroe or Evan Turner (which their is a rumor Turner could end up in PHX for Okafor plus Thaddeus Young but PHX is weary of taking on contracts beyond this year). I don't think McDonough will need to include any picks on a deal and he more than likely would not be interested in mortgaging picks for half year rentals.

Gasol has never been a defensive dynamo, his value has always been his offensive game which is exactly what PHX could use down the stretch.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gasol can play pf

Yes, that is a big benefit.

Not stupid at all. Late picks really have very little value. A pick like Indiana's can lamost be viewed as a liabililty. Their best value is probably used in trades. Additionally, they are worth more to a team like say a Milwaukee that needs players as opposed to the Suns, who have a smaller need.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We give up Okafor and the Pacers pick, fine. Anything more and I think it's a mistake.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake