Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'd actually be interested. Frye would still stretch the floor and Plumlee could become a part of the bench mob.

And if Bledsoe comes back healthy enough for a playoff run I think the Suns would be extremely scary.

Excellent post. Plumlee has been a huge surprise but he really isn't large enough to play center. And, his style of play to be most effective requires him to go extremely hard. His best role is likely as 20-22 mpg back-up center. The best comparison to Plums I can think of is Nick Collison. Very valuable but not so much as a starter.

Indeed, this team would be a tough draw in the playoffs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two firsts would ok if we used the Indy and Minnesota picks. I wouldn't want to include either of 2015's picks because we don't know how that season or draft will look. The Minny pick may pan out or may not, as said it turns into 2 second rounders at some point. We are talking about acquiring a rental for the rest of the season who is on the downside of his career. It doesn't matter that put up 20 and 11 in January, he is on a terrible team with essentially no help and someone is going to put up numbers. I'm not saying he is terrible or anything but his stats are inflated this season because of that, his talent has regressed more recently than his stats indicate and if he was on a better team it would be more evident.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
What are the chances of Bledsoe coming back?

Bledsoe / Dragic / Tucker / Frye / Gasol

Barbosa / Green / Morris / Morris / Plumlee

That team is legitimately 10 players deep and would be extremely irritating to deal with. They can attack the basket with Dragic, Bledsoe, Barbosa, Green, etc. Almost everyone on the roster can hit the outside shot. They could throw it into the post to Gasol if the defense slows them down. Try and double Gasol? That's going to leave someone wide open for the 3.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Do the Suns believe they can get Gasol rehabilitated and get a discount for a few years, a la Grant Hill? I am not opposed to it as long as he is being brought in to play PF alongside Plumlee and Len, and not play C alongside Frye and Morris.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the Suns believe they can get Gasol rehabilitated and get a discount for a few years, a la Grant Hill? I am not opposed to it as long as he is being brought in to play PF alongside Plumlee and Len, and not play C alongside Frye and Morris.

This tends to minimize Frye and Markieff if Gasol plays PF.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I'm not sure I care to pick up Gasol. I would rather keep playing Len behind Plumlee to develop him. If they could get him for just the expiring contract then I guess that's fine, but I wouldn't push too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns will play Pau mostly at the center position. That is the position of most need and they need to have spacing from the 4. He could play a little PF.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Then you're missing a large part of what's causing the Suns to win this year. Frye has the 13th highest */- in the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I care to pick up Gasol. I would rather keep playing Len behind Plumlee to develop him. If they could get him for just the expiring contract then I guess that's fine, but I wouldn't push too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sentiments run back and forth. McDonough seems intent on using Okafor's contract in some way advantageous way before the trading deadline. If Tyson Chandler wasn't on a two year contract I think I would prefer him and plug him into the center position with Plumlee and Len as backups. Gasol seems to meet the criteria better as he is an expiring contract but that's not to say I think it is the best option.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns entire system is based on spacing.

Why is this so hard to understand? The Charlotte coach said this exact thing the other day when he was complimenting the team. But so many Suns fans would trade Frye in an instant to get a "real" PF.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For Okafor, why not?

I don't know how I feel about it but I can see some "why nots". If we bring him in to play power forward it will cost us in the win column. He simply can't play that position on our team as well as either Frye or Markieff (IMO). If it's to play the center position it's likely to delay the development of Len and possibly Plumlee. We're not winning it all this season so I'd be concerned about anything that might slow down their growth.

Pau would probably give us an improved chance to win a series which I'd love to see as a fan but I'm not convinced it's the best thing for this group long term. For the right price I wouldn't hate the idea but I do have some misgivings. If it were up to me though I'd rather trade for Kaman and use him strictly as an emergency center. He's not as talented as Pau but his effort is consistent and he can help out against some of the wider bodies and be a cheerleader the rest of the time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't like the idea. Gasol wouldn't be featured in the Suns' offense, and that would make him grouchy. He has spent the last several years complaining to the media about his role with the Lakers. He thinks of himself as a #1 or at worst #2 option, and his effort is correlated with how well his ego is being catered to. He's a problem the Suns don't need, without offering much reward.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd rather have a defensive stalwart but Pau gives us in big improvement in rebounding which would be great for our fastbreak and overall game. He's also a considerably better passer than any of current bigs and that's another thing we could use.

Whether we call him a center or power forward he's going take 30 minutes per game away from our current frontcourt guys (unless we send one in the trade). My guess is that everyone's PT will drop a bit while Hornacek figures out the best way to deploy the group. We learned last year that Pau does not like to be forced to play at the arc but I also seem to recall he's not thrilled about defending big strong centers either. Personally, I don't want to see him replacing Plumlee a whole lot as he is our best rebounder and defender.

I know everyone will worry about him not spacing the floor as much as Frye and, to some extent, Markieff but he's a smart, experienced player with good range so I don't see him unduly clogging up the driving lanes for our perimeter guys. There might be a chemistry issue but as long as he wants to come here and join forces with our guys I don't anticipate anything major.

There is the possibility of a future bonus named Marc...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the trade works straight-up, according to RealGM.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about it but I can see some "why nots". If we bring him in to play power forward it will cost us in the win column. He simply can't play that position on our team as well as either Frye or Markieff (IMO). If it's to play the center position it's likely to delay the development of Len and possibly Plumlee. We're not winning it all this season so I'd be concerned about anything that might slow down their growth.

Pau would probably give us an improved chance to win a series which I'd love to see as a fan but I'm not convinced it's the best thing for this group long term. For the right price I wouldn't hate the idea but I do have some misgivings. If it were up to me though I'd rather trade for Kaman and use him strictly as an emergency center. He's not as talented as Pau but his effort is consistent and he can help out against some of the wider bodies and be a cheerleader the rest of the time.

You really underrate Gasol. He's averaged over 20/10 the last month and can be a great asset on a good team. Not only is he still a decent player, but he also brings much needed leadership to an inexperienced team.

Do I think he'll make us a champion contender? No, but it's hard to imagine that a couple months of Gasol would severely harm the development of the Len's/Morri of the world. Worst case scenario, he doesn't help and is let go at the end of the year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't like the idea. Gasol wouldn't be featured in the Suns' offense, and that would make him grouchy. He has spent the last several years complaining to the media about his role with the Lakers. He thinks of himself as a #1 or at worst #2 option, and his effort is correlated with how well his ego is being catered to. He's a problem the Suns don't need, without offering much reward.

Well, considering our other options for scoring in the block, I think he would definitely have a chance to be featured in the offense. Regardless, even if he doesn't help a lot, it's not like we were going anywhere without him, so why not take the chance, esp. if he'll only costs Okafor? Again, if he doesn't help, he'll be gone next year anyway.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
God no, terrible idea. Gasol is old and expiring this season. That's like a double no.

Plus he will make us even worse defensively in the paint.

Giving up Okafor plus pick or young player for him would just be a bad, bad idea. Okafor straight up plus Frye? Sure.

Errntknght

Reaction score

Of course he's going to be featured in our offense - what would be the point of getting him if he's not? He grouched about D'Antoni wanting him to be a floor spacer for Dwight but that's perfectly understandable and we have no comparable player. I don't recall him grouching that much about Bynum but I wouldn't be shocked if he did as he did steal some of his thunder - being a good low block playmaker when he wasn't pouting about something. We also don't have anyone like that, either - thankfully (considering the bad and the good.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
God no, terrible idea. Gasol is old and expiring this season. That's like a double no.

Plus he will make us even worse defensively in the paint.

Giving up Okafor plus pick or young player for him would just be a bad, bad idea. Okafor straight up plus Frye? Sure.

This would also eliminate Frye's $6,800,000 salary for next season which is a player option freeing even more money for the Suns.

Edit: it would also make room for Gasol to play PF.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we get Gasol, use his rights and do a sign-and-trade this summer.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You really underrate Gasol. He's averaged over 20/10 the last month and can be a great asset on a good team. Not only is he still a decent player, but he also brings much needed leadership to an inexperienced team.

Do I think he'll make us a champion contender? No, but it's hard to imagine that a couple months of Gasol would severely harm the development of the Len's/Morri of the world. Worst case scenario, he doesn't help and is let go at the end of the year.

Suns are the second best team in the West with Pau and Bledsoe returning to a level sufficient to play good defense. The Suns really need to take advantage of the assets they've acquired now. The picks they have aren't really worth that much. Even Goodwin. Very little chance he ever pans out. If not Pau, some center to solidify the defense and rebounding. Choices I see are Pau, Asik(if healthy) or Noah. I prefer Pau given his contract ending this year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
on defense, Gasol and Frye's length could be a problem for the opposition, couple that with our quickness on the perimeter. it could work if we keep frye.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake