Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Replace Dirk with Barkely on the Mavs team and they win too.

Same with Malone...

But Malone and Barkley would be top 3-4 best players today behind maybe Lebron and maybe Durant... Mainly because Durant is having his best season.
And on some teams Malone and Barkley would be arguably be best players in the league..

Malone... 28-30ppg 10rpg 3-4apg 50% FG that's insane... With very good low post defense (ask Duncan in 2004) Consider the rule changes he'd be going to the FT line a lot since he is a two way scorer... Inside/Outside... Front facing and back to the basket.

Barkley... 24-26ppg 12-14rpg 3-4apg at 55% FG that's another insane stat line.. He isn't as effective as a defender.. But not worse off than prime Webber or even Dirk... But with a two way offense attack.. In/out... Aggressive style game... Front facing and back to the basket etc...

In context... We shouldn't actually be even comparing players like Griffin or Amare to these guys. Who are without question their team's MVP and league MVP candidates (top 5) during their prime....

Give me Malone or Barkley any day...Only PF I'd consider is Duncan...

So Duncan, Malone and Barkley...

KG is a defensive beast... But have proven to be a second option when playoffs come.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No bias possible there right?

Americans accusing others of patriotism or national bias... that's rich.

This coming from a guy who tirelessly pimped ROBIN FREAKING LOPEZ.

Nuff said.

t0rchy

Reaction score
Literally? I always thought Germans were weird, but that is a bit excessive. I would have thought he might do it figuratively. Eeeeeeeew!

Please do not judge a people just because of some internet troll... Slin is not Germany as well as Miley Cyrus isn't the USA.

I'd say, Dirk has got a slightly better offensive game and he never played alongside some genius floor General like Stockton. Nash could be mentioned, but their pairing was way before the MVSteve-years.

Malone for sure has been a way better defender, rebounder and inside presence.
For me, it would be hard to say who really was better for himself.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I'd say, Dirk has got a slightly better offensive game and he never played alongside some genius floor General like Stockton. Nash could be mentioned, but their pairing was way before the MVSteve-years.

Steve was an All-Star while with Dirk... also Dirk was with Jason Kidd for his championship.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Steve was an All-Star while with Dirk... also Dirk was with Jason Kidd for his championship.

I'd agree that Dirk was surrounded with quality guards most of the time but Karl spent almost his entire career with the same point guard and he was arguably the greatest pure point guard of all time. I happen to think that Stockton's reputation as perhaps the greatest point guard is slightly inflated because of his pairing with Malone but there's no denying that he was a very good lead guard.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Both Dirk and Malone are great, but I suspect most GMs deciding between the two (a nice problem to have) would find Dirk's production more complementary and replaceable than Malone's. You might have to rely on another position to get a lot of those shots, since Dirk is a bit of an anomaly, but Malone's high-percentage shots would be the real prize in the debate.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So? I am not even a Nowitzki fan but every rational human being can understand that he ranks ahead of Barkley and Malone easily.

There's nothing wrong with supporting your countryman. I just think it's clouding your judgement is all.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@AlexKennedyNBA: Rival executives believe the Lakers and Suns will resume trade talks, with Pau Gasol ultimately being traded to Phoenix.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm still sticking with my prediction that it will happen, though Pau's continuing injury has me concerned...

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Not sure if it will happen, but I've thought during this whole process that the talks would definitely resume and get more serious. It'll be an interesting day tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I'll take "washed up" Gasol and his 17/10 this season. The Suns are going to fall apart in the playoffs without the ability to slow things down a little. We've seen it multiple times this year.

I'm hoping the Lakers panic and accept an Okafor / Gasol swap. I'd even throw in the Pacers pick without blinking an eye.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'll take "washed up" Gasol and his 17/10 this season. The Suns are going to fall apart in the playoffs without the ability to slow things down a little. We've seen it multiple times this year.

I'm hoping the Lakers panic and accept an Okafor / Gasol swap. I'd even throw in the Pacers pick without blinking an eye.

He averaged 22/12 in January. I think he would amp up his game if he was in a playoff race, after all he is playing for a new contract.

Big question is the injury?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
He averaged 22/12 in January. I think he would amp up his game if he was in a playoff race, after all he is playing for a new contract.

Big question is the injury?

I'm a little less worried about injuries since the Suns trainers seem to have some sort of voodoo magic. And Gasol's injury isn't anything really serious.

If all it's going to cost is Okafor -and maybe - one of the last picks in the 1st round why not go for it? Unless McD is looking at a bigger trade in the off-season and needs every single asset.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm a little less worried about injuries since the Suns trainers seem to have some sort of voodoo magic. And Gasol's injury isn't anything really serious.

If all it's going to cost is Okafor -and maybe - one of the last picks in the 1st round why not go for it? Unless McD is looking at a bigger trade in the off-season and needs every single asset.

Yeah, but the biggest asset (Okafor's contract) is going to be gone by then. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a trade now, but just pointing out that one asset will be gone in a couple of hours.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Yeah, but the biggest asset (Okafor's contract) is going to be gone by then. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for a trade now, but just pointing out that one asset will be gone in a couple of hours.

I'm referring to the draft pick.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looks like the Lakers are trying to package Hill and Gasol to us for Okafor and 2 picks... Shyeah right, the Lakers are living in fantasy land if they expect us to give them 2 picks for saving them all that money.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looks like the Lakers are trying to package Hill and Gasol to us for Okafor and 2 picks... Shyeah right, the Lakers are living in fantasy land if they expect us to give them 2 picks for saving them all that money.

I'm okay with it if it's just the Indy pick and and a heavily protected second pick, hopefully an actual second round pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We would have trade back more salary to make that go. Not sure how much. How long is Hills deal?

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score

Does the money on this trade even work? Suns would have to give up additional players, correct?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Marc Stein: Quite a dance playing out on Jordan Hill front. Lakers want pick for Hill. But I'm told Nets want pick from Lakers for saving them $7+ mil

I'd settle for the Lakers just removing the protection from the pick they owe us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two teams who have traded away all the picks they are allowed are now demanding picks from each other. That's funny.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill's salary is 3.5 million. His contract expires at the end of this season.

This was the trade that tempted me the most but I suspect the Lakers wanted a first round pick to do it. No thanks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake