Suns Interested In Livingston

Kingy

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
The Phoenix Suns are short on point guards, and after missing out on Chris Duhon and Anthony Johnson, and with Tyronne Lue also looking at the Celtics, a player of interest appears to be Shaun Livingston, the East Valley Tribune is reporting.
One of the league's bright up-and-coming point guards, Livingston crumpled on a drive to the basket, and he injured nearly every part of his left knee (torn anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and lateral meniscus, a sprained medial cruciate ligament and a dislocated patella tendon).
This happened 17 months ago, and Livingston, 22, has not played since.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

He'll get a minimum contract.

OP
OP
K

Kingy

Reaction score
Cheers guys, one good thing about finishing work late in Australia; i see all your morning news early.
We need a good point guard, but not sure how we can get Livingston or if he would be any good after his injuries?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a nice signing. Low risk, high potential reward. Only 22? Wow.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lue must have told Phoenix he's heading to the Celtics.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think between Livingston, and the increasing possibility that Dragic coming over, Lue didn't like his PT chances.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think between Livingston, and the increasing possibility that Dragic coming over, Lue didn't like his PT chances.
Maybe, but I think it had more to do with us only being able to offer him a one year deal at veteran minimum. Plus the Celtics have a better chance of getting back to the Finals than we do, arguably.

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
Some guy Luca said on another Suns board that now Dragic may be stuck in Europe for another year. Have any of you heard this in the last day or two?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just seems like some veteran minimum FA types like Lue are just giving the Suns lip service to get a better contract. I would be so happy if the Suns would finally pickup a backup PG for Nash. Kerr has made this promise but I am still waiting.

This is starting to remind me of the last four seasons. I like Strawberry but I do not consider him as a true PG. At least if the Suns signed Dragic and Livingston for this coming season, perhaps one of them might point prove to be a suitable backup PG for Nash sooner than later. At least both are talented and have potential. As I view it, Livingston is not much of a risk if the Suns can sign him for the minimum.

Last edited:

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Well, I'm not crazy about it, but it might be a good thing. Just, the whole injury scares me a bit, but Grant Hill was worse if anything. We'll see.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Lue seems to think the Suns are still his best bet IF NO ONE OFFERS MORE THAN THE VET MIN. So far, no one has.

I'm very skeptical that Livingston will be signed by the Suns. If anything, Jay Williiams injuries seemed less overwhelming than Livingston's and Jay could not get a summer league invite because he just wasn't the same.

What is the risk? It is a roster slot and counts against the luxury tax. Signing Livingston means NOT signing someone else.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is all about posturing. Lue used Miami to try to squeeze a little more dough out of the Suns, now Phoenix is dangling the idea of Livingston in front of Lue to get him to commit.

Tyron <yawn> Lue will help this team less than Marcus Banks did; he just won't cost as much. I'd rather get Goran here, sign Livingston, and see what DJ can do. Lue is never going to be a starter and might hinder the development of more promising players.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Who else would they sign though? They don't have much to offer. This sadly might make sense. Our offseason might just consist of Robin Lopez, Tyronn Lue, and quite possibly Shaun Livingston. Who else would we able to afford or sign? Plus, we are getting an improved DJ, and an improved Alando.(hopefully)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Lue seems to think the Suns are still his best bet IF NO ONE OFFERS MORE THAN THE VET MIN. So far, no one has.

I'm very skeptical that Livingston will be signed by the Suns. If anything, Jay Williiams injuries seemed less overwhelming than Livingston's and Jay could not get a summer league invite because he just wasn't the same.

What is the risk? It is a roster slot and counts against the luxury tax. Signing Livingston means NOT signing someone else.[/QUOTE]

if that someone else is the polish rifle, who cares?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thing is, the Goran situtation goes back and forth, could be over this year, could be held up much longer.

we need someone this season, lue or livingston is what's left over.lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is the risk? It is a roster slot and counts against the luxury tax. Signing Livingston means NOT signing someone else.QUOTE]

if that someone else is the polish rifle, who cares?

What if the Suns could carry a 15 player roster. What a novel idea.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
What if the Suns could carry a 15 player roster. What a novel idea.

I didn't know Sarver was selling the team?

BTW, Banks had some personality issues that we are only vaguely aware of. He's overpaid, but too many coaches had trouble with him for it to be a coincidence.

My guess is that Lue would be better than Barbosa at PG because of his experience, he's a bit better as a defender, and because he has a good pull up jump shot. Like Leandro, Lue is fast (not as fast, but still pretty quick) and is a very good three point shooter. I'll guess Leadnro is better at finishing on the break and driving the basket; but Lue is better with the ball in hands and doesn't make a lot of turnovers.

I'm not expecting more. If he was much better than that, he'd be out the Suns price range. I'm hoping that a really good defender like Strawberry or Dragic will develop by the playoffs; but Lue should give the Suns another shooter.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Sarver was selling the team?

BTW, Banks had some personality issues that we are only vaguely aware of. He's overpaid, but too many coaches had trouble with him for it to be a coincidence.

My guess is that Lue would be better than Barbosa at PG because of his experience, he's a bit better as a defender, and because he has a good pull up jump shot. Like Leandro, Lue is fast (not as fast, but still pretty quick) and is a very good three point shooter. I'll guess Leadnro is better at finishing on the break and driving the basket; but Lue is better with the ball in hands and doesn't make a lot of turnovers.

I'm not expecting more. If he was much better than that, he'd be out the Suns price range. I'm hoping that a really good defender like Strawberry or Dragic will develop by the playoffs; but Lue should give the Suns another shooter.

The boldened areas of your comments are exactly why the Suns need a player like Lue as a backup PG.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I see Livingston as low risk/low reward. I am sure if he is signed half the board will want to start him by October sight unseen, he won't be the player he was sorry never gonna happen.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I'm not huge on signing Livingston. Don't we want a player who can start in spots when Nash supposedly gets to take games off, and play big minutes? Don't we want a veteran PG who has proven to be a decent backup. Lue fits that bill better than Livingston. We're not even sure that Livingston can still play. Why take that risk if Goran or Lue don't sign? That leaves you with DJ as the only other option unless the Suns want to run Boris and/or Hill as Point Forwards during stretches.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I'm not huge on signing Livingston. Don't we want a player who can start in spots when Nash supposedly gets to take games off, and play big minutes? Don't we want a veteran PG who has proven to be a decent backup. Lue fits that bill better than Livingston. We're not even sure that Livingston can still play. Why take that risk if Goran or Lue don't sign? That leaves you with DJ as the only other option unless the Suns want to run Boris and/or Hill as Point Forwards during stretches.

People don't want Livingston here to be a back up, they want him to come in and be the heir to Nash, believe me when people think of signing Livingston, they are hoping to catch lightning in the bottle for a PGOTF not a role playing back up.