Suns Interested In Livingston

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, exactly. The 11th through 13th men have to be someone. A borderline competent scrub is better than a waste of a jersey.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. Maybe we agree or look at it differently.

I do not want to see scrubs on the Suns bench. Players at the perceived end of the bench don't have to be scrubs. See Scola and Udrih. I know you might counter argue that salary was an issue in SA, but when I look at the end of the Suns bench I want to see players that have the potential to play... not scrubs who cannot play anymore. I think these end of the bench positions can at least be filled with veteran minimum players or FA's that can still play unless the god ol' boy network takes over. I do not want to see players like Burke, Pike and Marks on the Suns roster. They take up roster spots and salary.

Just to be clear, I do not consider players like Skinner, Lue, Finley or Giricek to be scrubs nor nor do I put Shaun Livingston in this category because of his young age and unfortunate injury situation. IMO scrubs do not belong on the court because they have already proven they cannot play anymore.

HooverDam

Reaction score
What is the risk? It is a roster slot and counts against the luxury tax. Signing Livingston means NOT signing someone else.

Someone else like Pat Burke, Sean Marks, Eric Piatskowski or Paul Shirley? Give me a guy who's got a chance to be a good player, even if its a low chance, than some guy that everyone knows shouldn't be in the league given his skill level.

This would be a NO risk signing and I'd love it if the Suns grew a pair and signed Livingston to a one year deal for the minimum, with a team option for the 2nd year. Livingston can play the 1, 2 or 3 theoretically in small bursts and if he can get healthy he'd be a terrific backup for Nash while we wait for Dragic.

Now I'm not saying you sign Shaun in leu of Tyron, but if Lue goes elsewhere I'd love Livingston, or I'd love to have both guys. Since Livingston is so big and is fairly versatile, he could probably play off the ball a bit.

As 12th men go, I think you'd be pretty loopy to think there's a better one out there than Shaun Livingston.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Livingston as low risk/low reward. I am sure if he is signed half the board will want to start him by October sight unseen, he won't be the player he was sorry never gonna happen.

Maybe. But I really liked him before he was injured so I look at him as a low risk high reward type player now. If the Suns took a chance on him, I see him as nearly a year long rehabilitation project. If the Suns were willing to carry 14 players, I would be looking to grab him at the minimum and see what happens. He certainly would not be rated higher than the Suns third best PG providing the Suns do something. However, if he gets back to anywhere he was before, I like him as a PG because of his height.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Someone else like Pat Burke, Sean Marks, Eric Piatskowski or Paul Shirley? Give me a guy who's got a chance to be a good player, even if its a low chance, than some guy that everyone knows shouldn't be in the league given his skill level.

This would be a NO risk signing and I'd love it if the Suns grew a pair and signed Livingston to a one year deal for the minimum, with a team option for the 2nd year. Livingston can play the 1, 2 or 3 theoretically in small bursts and if he can get healthy he'd be a terrific backup for Nash while we wait for Dragic.

Now I'm not saying you sign Shaun in leu of Tyron, but if Lue goes elsewhere I'd love Livingston, or I'd love to have both guys. Since Livingston is so big and is fairly versatile, he could probably play off the ball a bit.

As 12th men go, I think you'd be pretty loopy to think there's a better one out there than Shaun Livingston.

Right on...with our training staff, if they could somehow pull a miracle, Livingston would be a more than capable backup, and provide much needed size at the position. For a minimum deal, it's a no brainer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very much my thought process.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Right on...with our training staff, if they could somehow pull a miracle, Livingston would be a more than capable backup, and provide much needed size at the position. For a minimum deal, it's a no brainer.

how many cripples do the Suns need? really I hear the miracle staff post way too much, pretty much everyone the suns sign needs the fing tin man treatment, makes me nervous to be honest. And lest not forget our "miracle" staff didn't get Hill well enough to contribute in the playoffs, but that's never brought up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
how many cripples do the Suns need? really I hear the miracle staff post way too much, pretty much everyone the suns sign needs the fing tin man treatment, makes me nervous to be honest. And lest not forget our "miracle" staff didn't get Hill well enough to contribute in the playoffs, but that's never brought up.

So you're saying the Suns is where once great now injured players return to mediocrity.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
People don't want Livingston here to be a back up, they want him to come in and be the heir to Nash, believe me when people think of signing Livingston, they are hoping to catch lightning in the bottle for a PGOTF not a role playing back up.
To me that's an unrealistic thought. Has this guy even come close to playing a full season with his knee healthy? No.....and some think he could be a Nash replacement coming off one of the freakiest knee injuries we've seen in the NBA with his skinny frame? I don't see it. If I'm wrong, then whatever, but I don't see it. There is no way that knee will ever be the same. There's no telling how long it will take to even trust that knee again....see Amare. Even if he were to succeed here, the Suns won't sign him to any long term deal to be the PGOTF.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

The guy has had two freak injuries...granted they were horrible injuries but he also is only 23 so it's not like it's chronic, yet. It's not like he's Grant Hill, having many major problems over a 10+ year career. He is a 6'7 point guard and average 10 and 5 in his last full season. I still think we need another backup pg, but to sign this guy for the minimum with the last roster spot is worth the risk.

The fact that Grant Hill wasn't healthy for the playoffs had nothing to do with the staff. Hill played the majority of the season and played at a very high level. If you compare his numbers during the regular season, they were comparable to Tayshaun Prince. Grant Hill got injured because he was playing far to many minutes, just like Nash. I think around halfway the season, Hill was leading the team in minutes and at 32 minutes a game he was playing much more than he ever should. That is either the fault of the coach or the front office.

It is fairly obvious that certain players are going to be more likely to wear down. It took until this year for the Suns to finally acknowledge that Nash's minutes must be reduced. Every year, he would start out on fire and by the end of the season and in the playoffs he was less effective, especially from the 3 point line. He's played 34-35 minutes a game every season he has been in Phoenix. Running the offense and taking considerable shots all season takes it's toll, and his back problems aren't getting any better. I think we could be better than expected if we can get Hill and Nash reduced minutes but am worried that we won't get the backups necessary to cut their minutes.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
To me that's an unrealistic thought. Has this guy even come close to playing a full season with his knee healthy? No.....and some think he could be a Nash replacement coming off one of the freakiest knee injuries we've seen in the NBA with his skinny frame? I don't see it. If I'm wrong, then whatever, but I don't see it. There is no way that knee will ever be the same. There's no telling how long it will take to even trust that knee again....see Amare. Even if he were to succeed here, the Suns won't sign him to any long term deal to be the PGOTF.

I do want Livingston here, firstly because when he gets on the court in February and limps around sucking you'll see people turn on him like no tomorrow and I will enjoy it. Fans do not accept worthless players on the end of the bench unless they are athletically challenged chuckers and even then it's for one year max. The common fan turned on Grant Hill to a degree and they will turn on Livingston too.

Secondly, most fans do not follow the Clippers, they follow the Suns, so the memory of Livingston is mainly his great games against Nash. That's what they want, not the Livingston that snapped his leg.

Then again I could be wrong and he will dominate.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The guy has had two freak injuries...granted they were horrible injuries but he also is only 23 so it's not like it's chronic, yet. It's not like he's Grant Hill, having many major problems over a 10+ year career. He is a 6'7 point guard and average 10 and 5 in his last full season. I still think we need another backup pg, but to sign this guy for the minimum with the last roster spot is worth the risk.

The fact that Grant Hill wasn't healthy for the playoffs had nothing to do with the staff. Hill played the majority of the season and played at a very high level. If you compare his numbers during the regular season, they were comparable to Tayshaun Prince. Grant Hill got injured because he was playing far to many minutes, just like Nash. I think around halfway the season, Hill was leading the team in minutes and at 32 minutes a game he was playing much more than he ever should. That is either the fault of the coach or the front office.

It is fairly obvious that certain players are going to be more likely to wear down. It took until this year for the Suns to finally acknowledge that Nash's minutes must be reduced. Every year, he would start out on fire and by the end of the season and in the playoffs he was less effective, especially from the 3 point line. He's played 34-35 minutes a game every season he has been in Phoenix. Running the offense and taking considerable shots all season takes it's toll, and his back problems aren't getting any better. I think we could be better than expected if we can get Hill and Nash reduced minutes but am worried that we won't get the backups necessary to cut their minutes.

Yes I agree, but I am not convinced Livingston is going to play, that's my issue. Again I am not 100% against signing him but I am not looking forward to the Livingston should start over Nash posts.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Ok ladies. Find someone here who has actually said they see livingston as the heir apparent to Nash.

Everyone is saying, bring him in for the vet min, cant hurt. Its a low risk high reward venture. If he is still a gimp, oh well, if he is actually as improved as reports say, then yipee. His knee is reportedly STRONGER than before, and he is running full speed.

NO ONE is saying he is the end all solution to our backup PG woes, so stop with these spiteful "bring him in so he fails and I laugh at everyone who gets mad" sayings. Grow up.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Ok ladies. Find someone here who has actually said they see livingston as the heir apparent to Nash.

Everyone is saying, bring him in for the vet min, cant hurt. Its a low risk high reward venture. If he is still a gimp, oh well, if he is actually as improved as reports say, then yipee. His knee is reportedly STRONGER than before, and he is running full speed.

NO ONE is saying he is the end all solution to our backup PG woes, so stop with these spiteful "bring him in so he fails and I laugh at everyone who gets mad" sayings. Grow up.

Calling people ladies, and you use the term yippee? Hmmm.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Livingston should get a make good contract. We'll offer our "crack" medical staff. He gets a chance to get well and show it, the Suns get first look without risk.

Everyone wins.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I do want Livingston here, firstly because when he gets on the court in February and limps around sucking you'll see people turn on him like no tomorrow and I will enjoy it. Fans do not accept worthless players on the end of the bench unless they are athletically challenged chuckers and even then it's for one year max. The common fan turned on Grant Hill to a degree and they will turn on Livingston too.

I couldn't disagree with this paragraph more. If Livingston gets on the court in February and can't play, you think people are going to 'turn' on him? I can't imagine people being mad at a guy for signing a minimum deal, working his butt off in rehab and trying to get back to the game. And its not like fans will be mad at the Front Office either, since he's just taking away some garbage players spot for no money anyhow.

And who 'turned' on Grant Hill? I don't recall that sentiment at all.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

dont forget about a coach who could have rested hill for the last part of the season(about a week or so???). and the 1st two games of round1 vs SA.

tree cant blame the medical staff. hill should not have been playing, period. he never got the time off to heal properly. sure hill wanted to play, but coach dumbtoni wasn't smart enough to rest him up for and during the playoffs.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The race was terribly tight and it would not have taken much to have fallen out of the playoffs all together. The real problem was that D'Antoni had no real backup plan. You'd think after so many years of failing to advance he'd be more concerned about depth, but somehow it never was addressed.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The race was terribly tight and it would not have taken much to have fallen out of the playoffs all together. The real problem was that D'Antoni had no real backup plan. You'd think after so many years of failing to advance he'd be more concerned about depth, but somehow it never was addressed.

Yeah duh, $omehow it wa$ never addre$$ed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yes his lack of not prepairing the bench also compounded the problem.

they stil lost to the Mavs, therefor the last couple of games were of no importance.