Suns Look to Re-Sign Johnson, Stoudemire

Reaction score
This Article has pretty much everything a Suns fan would want to hear:

By BOB BAUM
AP Sports Writer

June 2, 2005, 8:47 PM CDT

PHOENIX -- Shaking off their disappointment, the Phoenix Suns already were looking to their bright future a day after their elimination from the Western Conference finals.

"You've got to take your lumps somewhere along the line to be a champion," Steve Nash said, "and hopefully this is one of those building blocks to be something better."

The Suns held a team meeting on Thursday, then players met individually with Suns president Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike D'Antoni.

The top priorities for the offseason, Colangelo said afterward, are re-signing Joe Johnson and inking Amare Stoudemire to an extension.

There will be other minor adjustments, perhaps adding a bit more size on the bench.

"We're going to get better," Colangelo said. "We're going to do everything we can this offseason to improve."

Johnson is just 23, Stoudemire is 22, and the Suns want to lock up both rising young stars to long-term deals.

Johnson is the team's most accurate 3-point shooter, best perimeter defender and a player who can break defenders down off the dribble.

His absence was sorely felt when he fractured his left eye socket against Dallas in the conference semifinals and had to sit out the first two games of the Western Conference finals. Johnson is a restricted free agent, meaning the Suns can match any offer he gets from another team.

Colangelo has said that any team that signs Johnson will be wasting its time.

Johnson said Colangelo and D'Antoni assured him he is a crucial part of their plans.
The Suns could have signed the young guard before the season began, and he will cost a lot more money now.

"I'd love to stay here and be a part of it," Johnson said, "but like I've been saying all year, this is a business and business comes first."

The Suns have exercised their option for Stoudemire next season under the contract he signed as a rookie, but with his emergence as one of the best players in the game, they want to sign him for what obviously will be the maximum amount allowed.

Stoudemire expressed no desire to play elsewhere.

"I love the city of Phoenix and I love the state of Arizona," Stoudemire said. "The fans here have been amazing since the first day I got here. I have no complaints about the organization, team or anything like that, so it's looking good right now."

The Suns' 101-95 loss to San Antonio on Wednesday night sent the Spurs to the NBA Finals and ended the NBA's feel-good story of the season.

With a frenetic, refreshingly entertaining style directed by Nash, and with Stoudemire emerging as an awe-inspiring performer, Phoenix went from 29 victories in 2003-04 to an NBA-best 62 this season, the third-best turnaround in league history.

The Suns averaged 110 points in the regular season, the most by any team in a decade, and boosted it to 112 in the playoffs. Nash, lured from Dallas by a big contract, had his best season and was named the league's MVP.

Nash, Stoudemire and Shawn Marion were named first-, second- and third-team all-NBA, respectively.

D'Antoni, who turned the team loose to run and gun while still exercising low-key control, was named coach of the year. Colangelo was the Sporting News executive of the year.

The biggest needed improvement, obviously, has to come on defense. The Suns often were able to outscore opponents without exerting much effort at the other end of the court. But the Spurs often shredded Phoenix for easy layups or wide-open jumpers.

"Our main focus is we've got to work on becoming a great defensive team," Stoudemire said, "because our offense is unlimited."

Through the playoffs, the higher the stakes, the better Stoudemire performed. He averaged 29.9 points in 15 playoff games, 37 against San Antonio in a jaw-dropping mix of mid-range jumpers, acrobatic inside moves and thunderous dunks. Stoudemire is well on his way to reaching his goal of becoming one of the NBA's best.

"With this team, once I polish my game up a little more," he said, "I'll be able to take us to the promised land."

Stoudemire defined his future role as "point center," a hybrid position that would have him touching the ball even more.

"Playing the position I played this year with a different twist," Stoudemire explained, "with more of an inside-outside type game. With that point center thing, I think that's the right position to call me right now."

D'Antoni said anything Stoudemire wants to call himself is fine with him.

"He is developing into the best in the NBA ...," D'Antoni said. "He's going to get better and he wants to be the best. He's going to define how to play in the NBA hopefully in the next 10 years. He's going to be the model that people are going to have to adapt to.

"That's a lot to heap on a 22-year-old kid, but if we're going to be successful, he's got some broad shoulders and I'm going to try to be sitting on them. I'll be riding them."
Original Article

Point Center. BC saying any other team signing JJ would be wasting their time. Amaré emphasizing defense. Just the typical caveats of FA's leaving the door open to possibilties.

Here's to a smooth and successful offseason. :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the very article that made me post my AHHHHHHHH thread. Marc Stein's article on Amare gave me goosebumps as well. That guy LOVES the Suns.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
this is the very article that made me post my AHHHHHHHH thread. Marc Stein's article on Amare gave me goosebumps as well. That guy LOVES the Suns.
It's the "point center" remark Amaré made that I like the most. Sounds like he might be warming up to the 5 spot.
I was hoping whatever big center we might get would be situational depending on our opponent. I like the normal lineup for the majority of teams.

But I went "ooooooh", instead of "ahhhhhhhh".
:D :D :D

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Looking forward to next year already

JJ is a lock to returning and signing Amare to a max extension also seems like a lock.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In any case, the real key is to find someone more physical to play long side Amare when needed. Marion is great but too small to play big guys one on one. The Spurs showed why being able to do that is a huge advantage.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Similar Article

Keeping Amare a Sun a priority, even at $100M

Greg Boeck
USA Today
Jun. 2, 2005 07:48 PM PHOENIX - After reintroducing Showtime basketball to the NBA this season, it's show-and-tell time for the Phoenix Suns, especially in regards to their boy wonder.

Where do they fast break from here with Amare Stoudemire?

Will they reward their 22-year-old star with a max-out contract extension this summer that will keep him in the fold for seven more years? Perhaps more important, will they pacify the natural power forward's reluctance to play out of position at center another season?

The early indicators, in the aftermath of a five-game loss to the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference finals: Yes and yes.

Bryan Colanagelo, Suns president and general manager, called locking up Stoudemire and guard Joe Johnson, a restricted free agent, a priority Thursday. Stoudemire will cost the Suns more than $100 million, and Johnson will cost much more than the $45 million he turned down last summer.

But the Suns appear intent on keeping together the core group that won an NBA-best 62 games and went from 53 losses the season before to the conference finals.

"We have an unlimited future," said Mike D'Antoni, the league's coach of the year. "This is one step."

"We far exceeded expectations," said MVP Steve Nash, the catalyst of a run-and-gun team that averaged 112 points in the postseason but fell short defensively. "Not a lot of people picked us to make the playoffs. To be in the final four is a terrific accomplishment, one I believe we can top next year. Hopefully, this is one of those building blocks to something better."

Stoudemire is the cornerstone, and he came out of his exit meeting with Suns coaches and officials smiling about his future role: Point-center.

The Suns, in an apparent compromise to Stoudemire's reluctance to play center again next season in D'Antoni's small-ball lineup, sent him home for the summer as the team's designated go-to player next season.

He earned the promotion with a stunning postseason that included averaging 37.0 points against Tim Duncan and the Spurs and 29.9 points overall in the playoffs.

The redefined role will have him pick-and-roll more often with Nash on the perimeter and free him to shoot outside, drive inside or pass.

Did someone say Magic Johnson?

"It's playing the position I played this year, center, but with a different twist - more of a perimeter, inside-outside game," said Stoudemire. "I'll do a lot more."

He added, "I've always dreamed of being in that position, the go-to guy. With this team, once I polish my game up a little more, I'll be able to take us to the promised land."

The Suns, with the 21st and 57th picks in the draft, want to muscle up inside to take the heat off Stoudemire. They know they have a rare talent.

Said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: "Amare's not a center. He's a very quick, very powerful, very explosive power forward who plays anywhere he wants."

D'Antoni said Stoudemire is "going to define how to play in the NBA the next 10 years. He's going to be the model that people will have to adapt to.

"He can shoot threes, lead the break, pass, dribble and rebound. His defense has to get better. But when he becomes that complete basketball player, we will win championships."
LINK

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Point Center sounds good. Everything sounds good.

Still, I hope for another thing to happen.

That's Steven Hunter as the MIP 2006.

Hunter
STAT
Matrix
JJ
Nash

JJax
Q
Barbosa
...and one or two big fellas

I'd like to see that lineup more often. Jimmy proved his value playing everyting from point guard to small forward and Q could be our spark of the bench for JJ or Shawn.

We could (and should) go small from time to time nevertheless.

Just hope that Hunter works on his rebounding, muscles up a bit and starts practising free throws all day long.

And since we use Q only as a gunner, he should shoot as many as 1000 threes a day. I want to see his percentage and consistency rising!

Amare's coments about D are great, hopefully he spends time working on it and get his 3 going another year.

I hope Shawn's all right and the series didn't hurt his confidence.

Just get a good big man in the draft and maybe one or two veterans who are willing to play for a lesser salary than they could get elsewhere to win a title (sorry it's not working everytime, Danny M.).

Now I'll hope to see Shaq yelling "CAN YOU DIG IT?"

Oh, did you realize that in the last 7 years only two teams won the west?
99 SA vs NY
00 LA vs Indiana
01 LA vs Philly
02 LA vs NJ
03 SA vs NJ
04 LA vs Detroit
05 SA vs Miami/Detroit

Let's end that streak next year!

Another interesting thing about the champions:

94 Horry (Rockets)
95 Horry (Rockets)
96 Kerr (Bulls)
97 Kerr (Bulls)
98 Kerr (Bulls)
99 Kerr (Spurs)
00 Horry (Lakers)
01 Horry (Lakers)
02 Horry (Lakers)
03 not sure if Kerr was still on the Spurs squad
04 ---
05 Horry ?

Silently dominating the NBA...

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
what in the blue hell is a point center??? i'm sitting here laughing hysterically.

flash forward 3 years and we see amare take the inbound, bring it upcourt against heavy pressure, dribble himself into post position, back his man in, command the double team, kick out for 3. lol

dude needs to learn to dribble with his left hand before he thinks about point anything lol.

what's funnier is that this guy is so sick, i'll probably be eating these words in 8 months! lol

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
playstation said:
what in the blue hell is a point center??? i'm sitting here laughing hysterically.

flash forward 3 years and we see amare take the inbound, bring it upcourt against heavy pressure, dribble himself into post position, back his man in, command the double team, kick out for 3. lol

dude needs to learn to dribble with his left hand before he thinks about point anything lol.

what's funnier is that this guy is so sick, i'll probably be eating these words in 8 months! lol

In you rookie year, Chris Webber was something of a point center for the Warriors. The key is to be able to dribble and pass without getting the ball swiped too often. But it certainly creates matchup problems for teams in transition defense.

Actually, I think the Suns are too inclined to kick it out for three on the break than to get to the basket. As one of the commentators noted, even if the layup doesn't go in, it is easier for the trailer to get put the offensive rebound in than against a set offense.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
In you rookie year, Chris Webber was something of a point center for the Warriors. The key is to be able to dribble and pass without getting the ball swiped too often. But it certainly creates matchup problems for teams in transition defense.

Actually, I think the Suns are too inclined to kick it out for three on the break than to get to the basket. As one of the commentators noted, even if the layup doesn't go in, it is easier for the trailer to get put the offensive rebound in than against a set offense.

wasn't cwebb a point forward and he had some bigger dude playing center? basically, point center is an unheard-of term because the terms are not inclusive. centers play inside, pg's outside. if you 7', bring the ball upcourt, setup teammates, and stay far away from the hoop, you're a pg. if you 4'5'', and you're counted on to grab rebounds, box out, and score from in close, you are a center. but the term is never-the-less intriguing

asudevil83

Reaction score
after reading the bits and pieces of this article, i may have to say that it sounds like Amare is warming up to the idea of playing C. he's pretty much dominated the entire year there.

i would say though that the suns should look for either another starting PF/C that could compliment Amare. he really does need another big body in the lane to take some of those double teams away.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The suns just really need Hunter to get better, he can play PF and C. And is in the mold of a Camby type body... and atheletism... only lacking polish in his skills and obviously tming/instinct. But he is as good in blocking shots... just defensive awareness needs to improve.

For the suns to continue with this style, we need Amare at Center, atleast in the offensive end. But maybe sliding down Marion to SF and putting another high flying PF will help. Bring Q and Jackson off the bench, since they can give JJ, Nash and Marion rest.

JJ can slide down to the PG to overlap with Nash. I dont think Barbosa is improving or atleast suited for the suns system.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare Stoudemire is not going to get a $100 million contract. Even on the current CBA the max is something like $90 million. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I hope all of the attention that Amare is getting doesn't get Shawn Marion whining. He has been heavily criticized for his disappearance in the Western Conference finals. He seems to be getting completely forgotten by the media right now.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I hope all of the attention that Amare is getting doesn't get Shawn Marion whining. He has been heavily criticized for his disappearance in the Western Conference finals.

I know no one wants to read this, but if the Suns change their offense next season with everything going through Stoudemire, and if they struggle for a bit while doing it, Marion is going to start complaining and trade rumors will start bubbling.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I hope all of the attention that Amare is getting doesn't get Shawn Marion whining. He has been heavily criticized for his disappearance in the Western Conference finals.

I know no one wants to read this, but if the Suns change their offense next season with everything going through Stoudemire, and if they struggle for a bit while doing it, Marion is going to start complaining and trade rumors will start bubbling.

I honestly don't think they're going to change the entire offense. I just think they will throw some new things into it, so it isn't entirely pick and roll in the half-court set. They will definitely keep pushing the ball at every opportunity just as they did this year.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Amare Stoudemire is not going to get a $100 million contract. Even on the current CBA the max is something like $90 million. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I hope all of the attention that Amare is getting doesn't get Shawn Marion whining. He has been heavily criticized for his disappearance in the Western Conference finals. He seems to be getting completely forgotten by the media right now.

Joe Mama

If he didn't want to get ignored he should have played better against the Spurs. We all know it's "What have you done for me lately."

POINT CENTER

The only thing Amare needs to do to be the Point Center is become a better passer. I don't ever see him bringing the ball up the court but I can imagine the ball going to him at the high post and him orchestrating from there. Go to the basket, dish, kick out .....

asudevil83

Reaction score
elindholm said:

i think trade rumors are going to start bubbling anyways. the suns will soon have 4 max/near max contracts, and the odd man out there is going to be marion. the suns are looking to build around JJ/Amare. nash will retire a sun. that leaves marion.

marion should be able to fetch us an expiring contract/draft picks or young talent. this wont happen this offseason, but if a combination of money worries/complaining go on during this next season, marion will be gone during the next offseason.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There seems to be a widespread belief that the Suns can't afford to keep their players. I guess that's true if you assume they will try to stay under last seasons luxury tax limit, but it just isn't true if the Suns accept a mid sixties level of salaries. As it is, the Suns don't have a lot of dead weight contracts (once the Eisley contract comes off), so the money is going to be high but not Knicks/Mavs outrageous.

The other widespread belief is that the money spent on JJ could be used to get a top notch center. Won't happen. The Suns are over the cap and will be over the cap for the rest of the decade. The only way the Suns can get a center is through the draft or by signing someone who has so far under produced. NO ONE IS GOING TO TRADE A GREAT CENTER TO PHOENIX TO PLAY WITH AMARE.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Marion is going to start complaining and trade rumors will start bubbling.

honestly - if his whining in the playoffs begins to spill over into next season, he can be on the first rail out of town. Most teams need to make one more big move, shuffling off a KEY piece of their building team to get to that next level. The Bulls shipped off Oak - who was beloved in Chicago for an aging C (Cartwright - someone LESS valuable AND older that Oak) who ended up being the final piece of the puzzle, the Pistons shipped off Adrian Dantley for Mark Aguirre... we shipped off Horny for Barkley... the Lakers shipped off Elden and Eddie Jones for Glen Rice (this one's a bit more of a stretch - but his ability to knock down the open shot was a key part of their 67 win team and they were never that dominant throughout the league as they were that year because they didn't have that third go to guy)... the Rockets had to do something drastic - even after WINNING THE TITLE - trading away Otis Thorpe for Drex.

It's likely gonna happen - but I wouldn't make that move until next season if we flame out - but with all the contract we're gonna have building up and with the law of diminishing returns without a title, it's only natural that Shawn would be the guy who ulitmately would be the player who nets us THE guy who puts us over the top.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
The other widespread belief is that the money spent on JJ could be used to get a top notch center.

who the hell is saying that?

PHX2

Fashion Police
Reaction score
playstation said:

Brad Miller is a bit of point center in that he passes the ball and runs the offense just as much as Mike Bibby the actual point guard does...he doesn't have total ball handling skills as a "point center" but he's definetly somebody I think of when I think of a point center...Amare is definetly capable of having a role like that on any team...it should be interesting...lol

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Agreed.

sunsfn

Reaction score
If D'Antoni wants to keep the suns playing the same way they did this year, there is no way they are trading Shawn Marion. This guy is really unbelievable in the open court and getting to the basket in transition!

I do not think that Marion is going to complain either. When you read some of this stuff written by these sports writers, you have to take it with a grain of salt. If I remember, some of these comments came after ball games in the playoffs, where tension is high and no one including Marion wants to lose. Comments come out, and they are taken out of context and do not always mean what the player is being quoted as saying.

The suns may not trade any of their starters in this off season, but if they do, I would think it would have to be Q. SORRY!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake