Suns looking at Devean George?

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
The Dallas Fort Worth Star-Telegram is reporting the Mavs have offered George a 1 year 2 mill contract. George hasn't signed because he is still talking to other teams including the Suns according to his agent.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
He would drastically improve his market value on a team like the Suns. If he's looking for a 1 year deal at close to the minimum, he'd be wise to bite the bullet and come to PHX. He could earn a lot more next year after playing here than he could with any other team. He should look at Tim Thomas and Joe Johnson for proof....

Don't know how much I like George and I don't even know how he'd fit if we didn't move Jones, but I'm just stating what would be in his best interest, IMO....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
He would drastically improve his market value on a team like the Suns. If he's looking for a 1 year deal at close to the minimum, he'd be wise to bite the bullet and come to PHX. He could earn a lot more next year after playing here than he could with any other team. He should look at Tim Thomas and Joe Johnson for proof....

Don't know how much I like George and I don't even know how he'd fit if we didn't move Jones, but I'm just stating what would be in his best interest, IMO....

In the BPA category he would be a nice catch for Phoenix at the right price. I always liked his game, but I thought his talents were never fully utilized in LA. Actually, I think he might be a better fit in Phoenix than Salmons.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Nash/Banks
Bell/Barbosa/Sato
Marion/Diaw/George/Jones/Piatkowski
Stoudemire
Thomas/Marks/Burke

There's 14. That's pretty thin up front. I know some of the 3's on the roster can play 4, but I'm just listing players at their natural positions. There would HAVE to be a trade somewhere in there....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Nash/Banks
Bell/Barbosa/Sato
Marion/Diaw/George/Jones/Piatkowski
Stoudemire
Thomas/Marks/Burke

There's 14. That's pretty thin up front. I know some of the 3's on the roster can play 4, but I'm just listing players at their natural positions. There would HAVE to be a trade somewhere in there....

Sato, LOL. There's virtually no chance of him signing here, regardless of how much gushing the Suns did before the summer league. He was awful in Vegas.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
George isnt coming unless Jones is traded for a big man, IMO.

I'm against this one.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Problem is, what kind of big man can we get for Jones?

If this signing actually happens, would that make the Gooden rumor more likely to be true?

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sato, LOL. There's virtually no chance of him signing here, regardless of how much gushing the Suns did before the summer league. He was awful in Vegas.

You must be registered for see images

Why are you always so damned smug about everything? You avoid the topic at hand to assail the most minute detail....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
You must be registered for see images

Why are you always so damned smug about everything? You avoid the topic at hand to assail the most minute detail....

So what? Smug about what? Do you dispute what I said? Your lineup looks just fine without a marginal summer league player, don't you think? There's a rumor we're signing Marks and now a rumor about signing George (which I don't believe). Where's the rumor that we're signing Sato, who in point of fact, did NOT have a good summer league?

I never attacked you personally--not like you're doing with that idiotic picture. Just see if I buy another truck from you buddy! ;)

asudevil83

Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Problem is, what kind of big man can we get for Jones?

If this signing actually happens, would that make the Gooden rumor more likely to be true?

the suns cant afford a guy like Gooden. if anything the suns need to add an expiring contract, rather than another long term $7.5mil+ per year deal.....unless we are dead set on parting with Marion or paying LOADS of LT money.

if the suns could move KT/Jones for a guy like Magloire, then use part of our TE for Jumaine Jones with a 3 year deal (maybe 3 year $9mil) or sign George to a one year deal, then we would be set for a while. hell, get them both, and give either of them spot minutes at the backup PF slot.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
No. I have no idea what the SUns will end up doing and who will ultimately be on the roster. I also do not know how Sato played in the summer league. I included him in that lineup based on all the reports that he was as good as gold a few weeks ago. Point is, the 13th man has no bearing on the topic at hand and yet that is the detail you focused on....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
the suns cant afford a guy like Gooden. if anything the suns need to add an expiring contract, rather than another long term $7.5mil+ per year deal.....unless we are dead set on parting with Marion or paying LOADS of LT money.

if the suns could move KT/Jones for a guy like Magloire, then use part of our TE for Jumaine Jones with a 3 year deal (maybe 3 year $9mil) or sign George to a one year deal, then we would be set for a while. hell, get them both, and give either of them spot minutes at the backup PF slot.

You would prefer Magloire over KT?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
No. I have no idea what the SUns will end up doing and who will ultimately be on the roster. I also do not know how Sato played in the summer league. I included him in that lineup based on all the reports that he was as good as gold a few weeks ago. Point is, the 13th man has no bearing on the topic at hand and yet that is the detail you focused on....

You're the one who posted an entire lineup--you shouldn't get upset because someone pointed something out about it, good or bad. Like I said, with the current hypothetical rumors (which doesn't include signing Sato--that rumor ended 3 weeks ago), your lineup looks good except for Sato.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Chaplin said:

if holding onto KT would mean us getting bent over in a salary dump trade next offseason (like the googs and jahidi trades), or not resigning Barbosa because of LT concerns, or trading Marion for the same reason.....then yes i prefer Magloire over KT.

i'm pretty sure that the suns are thinking ahead on how to avoid going DEEP into LT land for the 07/08 season. and this is a type of trade they are looking at.

IMO KT is less important to the future of the team than Barboa and Marion and Diaw....and his contract is a MAJOR concern after this upcoming season, and therefore the odd man out.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Compare:

"SOH, Sato had a horrible showing in Vegas and probably won't make the roster."

Vs.

"Sato, LOL! *Blathering smugness ensues*"

The biggest point is that Sato really has nothing to do with this conversation. Why wouldn't you address the George rumor and what it means to the main core of players? Why are you so focused on a marginal 13th man?

asudevil83

Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Compare:

"SOH, Sato had a horrible showing in Vegas and probably won't make the roster."

Vs.

"Sato, LOL! *Blathering smugness ensues*"

The biggest point is that Sato really has nothing to do with this conversation. Why wouldn't you address the George rumor and what it means to the main core of players? Why are you so focused on a marginal 13th man?

that had me chuckling

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

I don't understand why Magloire is more valuabe to us than KT and JR.

George would be OK for the right price. As others have mentioned he doesn't really play a position of need.

Also SOH, to further nit-pick your roster, I think Marks is more 4 than 5.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I would, because I have more confidence that Magliore could stay healthy, and because Magliore's expiring contract would solve a lot of the Suns' problems next summer.

One game, 100% health on both sides, contracts out the window, my guess is that KT is the more valuable player to the Suns. That's an awfully long way from the reality of the situation, though.

Anyway, if the Suns bring in Devean George, he'll be the team's backup PF--he's about as long as JR, at least as athletic, and thicker. George can't really shoot the three (or rather, he can shoot but he can't make), but if he could, he'd be out of the Suns' price range anyway.

Here's my current list of 'big man' FAs:

"Shooting forward"--Jumaine Jones, KVH, George, Kukoc
"Energy PF"--Lorenzen Wright, Reggie Evans, Aaron Williams, Alan Henderson
"True center"--Kandi, Ostertag, Kelvin Cato

Lorenzen and Reggie Evans are out of the Suns' price range, and it looks like KVH will be out of that range, too. There's about a 1% chance the Suns will wind up with Jumaine Jones IMO--too many unlikely coincidences needed to make it happen. I doubt the Suns will wind up with one of the centers, either.

So, the realistic alternatives right now are probably Devean George, Aaron Williams, or a trade. :shrug:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Wow SOH, you need to scratch your sandy v. All Chaplin did was point out that Sato sucked in the Summer League and that the Suns glowing pub about him has disappeared. He didn't even call you an idiot or insult you like you're making it out to be. So what if he didn't talk about George? He was just disagreeing with your potential lineup.

:grabs: GOT DAMN!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if George's agent put this out there to spur the Mavs into action. I have to think that the Suns plus Amare have to be their biggest perceived threat at the moment, especially after we gave them such a hard time while short-handed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:

You're the one who wrote it--if you have no clue what is going on, that's one thing, but you're the one who wrote it--I haven't mentioned or read anything about Sato for a couple weeks.

Apologies for being smug, although you are being just as smug in return.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I would, because I have more confidence that Magliore could stay healthy, and because Magliore's expiring contract would solve a lot of the Suns' problems next summer.

One game, 100% health on both sides, contracts out the window, my guess is that KT is the more valuable player to the Suns. That's an awfully long way from the reality of the situation, though.

Anyway, if the Suns bring in Devean George, he'll be the team's backup PF--he's about as long as JR, at least as athletic, and thicker. George can't really shoot the three (or rather, he can shoot but he can't make), but if he could, he'd be out of the Suns' price range anyway.

Here's my current list of 'big man' FAs:

"Shooting forward"--Jumaine Jones, KVH, George, Kukoc
"Energy PF"--Lorenzen Wright, Reggie Evans, Aaron Williams, Alan Henderson
"True center"--Kandi, Ostertag, Kelvin Cato

Lorenzen and Reggie Evans are out of the Suns' price range, and it looks like KVH will be out of that range, too. There's about a 1% chance the Suns will wind up with Jumaine Jones IMO--too many unlikely coincidences needed to make it happen. I doubt the Suns will wind up with one of the centers, either.

So, the realistic alternatives right now are probably Devean George, Aaron Williams, or a trade. :shrug:

Granted, he's not very good, but I wonder why nobody even mentions the word Olowokandi? If we're talking about bringing a player like George or Aaron Williams, why not Olowokandi, who can at least put up better games than them--not usually, but certainly there is a possibility for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake