Suns looking at Devean George?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Sure, me too.

I'd also prefer Melvin Ely, Chris Wilcox, Drew Gooden, or Al Harrington.

:shrug:

Or KG or Tim Duncan...

Seriously folks, these guys are out of our price range. Ely is is the only one likely to settle for MLE for five, which is still beyond what the Suns can do.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here's a tidbit from Eric Pincus. For those who don't know of him, Pincus is a kind of half-Lakers fan, half-freelance journalist; his info is better than nothing, but certainly not close to reliable.

it's well known the Lakers would talk S&T - so George's agent found a deal for him (usually the starting point in this sort of negotiation).

The min he'll get is $2 mil from Dallas - if he can get more he'll do it.

Sounds like 3 teams are interested - of which Phx would have to do a S&T (probably James Jones).

For the record - George will go where the money is - regardless of how much it helps the Lakers. Whoever is willing to pay the most - if that includes a S&T so be it - that's where George will end up.

Lakers are the 3rd party with the least ability to make things work unless they get aggressive to incentivise a deal by including a pick or another player, etc...
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=27974&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You can throw out the James Jones bit right away--Pincus doesn't know any more than we do about that end. If the Suns S&T, they could use J.R., but more likely they'll use the Salmons package (TE + 2nd round pick).

The only thing there that can be called a 'claim' IMO is that Devean will sign for the most money w/o regard to situation. If that's the case, the Suns won't get Devean with the remainder of their MLE; they'd have to make a trade instead.

I'll try to take a closer look at the Suns' cap situation tomorrow, to get a better idea of how far the team is below the luxury tax line. I think the most the Suns would offer Devean in a 'Salmons deal' is a one-year contract that puts the team right below the luxtax. :shrug:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devean George for James Jones? No thanks. Jones is a better player already with the potential to be even better. George has been in the league for awhile and has already reached his ceiling.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Folster said:
Devean George for James Jones? No thanks. Jones is a better player already with the potential to be even better. George has been in the league for awhile and has already reached his ceiling.
If the Suns were to send James Jones, it would be as a salary dump. I doubt they're looking to sign Devean (or any comparable player) for multiple years in any case.

As I said, though, it's much more likely the Suns would use their TE--the goal in signing Devean seems to be building depth, not turning over the roster.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If the Suns were to send James Jones, it would be as a salary dump. I doubt they're looking to sign Devean (or any comparable player) for multiple years in any case.

As I said, though, it's much more likely the Suns would use their TE--the goal in signing Devean seems to be building depth, not turning over the roster.

How would trading James Jones for a resigned Devean George be a salary dump? It sounds as if his contract would be comparable to Jones's.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Folster said:
How would trading James Jones for a resigned Devean George be a salary dump? It sounds as if his contract would be comparable to Jones's.
Because JR has three years left on his deal, and Devean would presumably have a one-year contract.

The Suns aren't in tax trouble this season--2007 and 2008 are where the problem is.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Because JR has three years left on his deal, and Devean would presumably have a one-year contract.

The Suns aren't in tax trouble this season--2007 and 2008 are where the problem is.

Why do you presume that George would only sign a one year deal? I can't imagine him doing that.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Folster said:
Why do you presume that George would only sign a one year deal? I can't imagine him doing that.
Tell that to the Dallas Mavericks. :shrug:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Folster said:

I have a hard enough time imagining him in the league.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sign and trade between division rivals where the newly signed player only gets one year on his new deal? IMO that's a very unlikely scenario. Besides, when it comes to a sign and trade deal lets not just about where George will get the most money. The deal also has to make sense for the Lakers. Otherwise it makes more sense for them to just let him walk.

Joe

OP
OP
nothin' but net

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Georges agent is reported to say that he has narrowed his choice to the Mavs and the Suns. Dallas papers are reporting on it, but PHX papers don't seem to. I imagine he will sign with Dallas, but I don't really care either way.

There is a link in the rumors section of hoopshype today.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Mavs ink Devean George
By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks completed their off-season shopping spree by coming to terms with free agent Devean George, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

The former Los Angeles Lakers forward is signing a two-year deal for $4.2 million, with a player option for the second year. George, 28, has spent his entire seven-year career with the Lakers and was a key part of three championship teams.

“Devean is going to be a Maverick,” his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said. “He’s excited. We went through a number of free-agent options, and we felt, because of his experience, it would be a great fit. He wants to help the Mavs win a championship.”

George has averaged 6.0 points and 3.3 rebounds in 429 career games, with 66 starts. Injuries limited the 6-foot-8 swingman to 15 games two years ago, but Bartelstein said his client is healthy and primed for a full season.

“He’s going to have a great season,” Bartelstein said.

With the player option, George can test the market again next summer. Bartelstein, however, said George hopes to remains with the Mavs long-term.

George will compete for minutes with Jerry Stackhouse and rookie Maurice Ager in the swingman rotation behind starters Josh Howard and Greg Buckner.

The Mavs currently have 14 players under contract, one less than the maximum. The plan is to fill that final spot in training camp.

The addition of George is the last of several moves designed to upgrade the team since the loss to Miami in the NBA Finals. The Mavs have added veterans Buckner, Austin Croshere and Anthony Johnson.

Cross one off the list.

Supposedly, the Suns were one of the two finalists. :shrug:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
For that price I am glad he went to Dallas.

Sounds like the Suns managed to drive up the price a little in any event. :thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Driving up the price opponents pay is actually a sound strategy. In any case, I'm not convinced Devon was ever really a target for the Suns.

_Ra

Reaction score
THANK GOD Dallas took George and not the Suns.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Driving up the price opponents pay is actually a sound strategy. In any case, I'm not convinced Devon was ever really a target for the Suns.

I'm not sure why that is. I would have taken George for what the Phoenix Suns had remaining from the mid-level exception. He can defend. He can grab some rebounds, and when he's open he has a pretty nice shot.

It was mentioned several times in different reports that the Phoenix Suns were pursuing George. According to the Dallas Morning Star they were the other finalist for his services. I'm not sure what more it would take to convince you... perhaps David Griffin going on the radio to say they had?

Joe

nowagimp

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm not sure why that is. I would have taken George for what the Phoenix Suns had remaining from the mid-level exception. He can defend. He can grab some rebounds, and when he's open he has a pretty nice shot.

It was mentioned several times in different reports that the Phoenix Suns were pursuing George. According to the Dallas Morning Star they were the other finalist for his services. I'm not sure what more it would take to convince you... perhaps David Griffin going on the radio to say they had?

Joe

Joe, I see george as a similar player to JR, with JR having the upside advantage. JR has great shot mechanics and SHOULD be a better shooter than george, but not as knowledgable a defender. Barring injury, I just dont see much time for george in the suns rotation. I expect JR to get better shot opportunities this year with Banks at the backup point(playing alot with JR) giving him much better shot opportunities than Eddie House, who was a horrible distributor. If JR gets the ball when he's open and not 3 seconds after, his shot selection will be much better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake