Suns @ Mavericks Game Thread

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Obviously we are better with everyone healthy - Adrian Griffin

SO ARE WE!!!! OUR BEST PLAYER AND SOME KEY BIG MEN ARE OUT DON'T SEE US MAKING EXCUSES WHEN WE GET BEAT!!! SUNS ARE BETTER NOW AND BETTER IF ALL OUR PLAYERS ARE HEALTHY!!!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I thought the Mavs were gonna hammer us they way the first half went. I can't believe they won! That was the best game of the year so far! these Suns are freakin amazing, and we will have essentially three centers coming in to help the team come play offs! :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was not the best game the Suns have played, but I'd say the fourth quarter was easily their finest: 34-18. :notworthy

jibikao

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
This was not the best game the Suns have played, but I'd say the fourth quarter was easily their finest: 34-18. :notworthy

Yup. We played at Mavs who has a VERY STRONG home record in the league. It was an away game for us and we took it after they got defeated by Spurs. You would think the Mavs can't let this one go since they need all the winning games to secure #1 spot.

Great win!!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
golfcardfan said:
Obviously we are better with everyone healthy - Adrian Griffin

This is ********. Players should get fined for complaining about injuries after losing to the Suns.

This is like walking up to a guy dying of cancer and complaining about your shoes hurting your feet.

jibikao

Reaction score
Hey, I was thinking about it.. about Mavs' defense and gameplan.

Yes, Mavs has some solid defense but I feel their defense or gameplan is merely to shut down Nash. When Nash was in the game (for the first 40mins anyway), Nash was frustrated (well, partly because Armstrong was very physical with him) and Mavs seems to read Nash really well. Then our 2nd unit came in and Barbosa, Diaw, and even Tim Thomas could easily score on Mavs and tried to reduce the lead. I don't think our 2nd unit can finish off the game but I just think that if we do meet in the playoffs, we might want to mix it up a little.

However, if we have a healthy Amare, it doesn't matter if they know our gameplan or not. Amare will probably foul their big guys out. hehe

I think the biggest problem is that when Nash is in the game against Mavs, all the defenders are instructed to stay with our shooters. This is obvious because in the first half, Nash had very few assists and tons of turned overs. Nash was forcing it a little and got frustrated.

Then when Nash came back in the 4th, he became more aggresive offensively and that's when the tide turned (and Mavs' melt-down).

The past 2 meetings, Nash's offense wasn't nearly as good and we couldn't seal the win. I wonder if we need some changes if we meet Mavs again. Or I guess Amare will solve the problem if he plays.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a great afternoon for the second unit. Running the offense through Diaw with Nash on the wing confused the Mavs every time they ran that play.

Realistically, the Suns would have done even better if early in the game they dunked rather than tried to make soft layups. Fortunately Diaw and TT began dunking in the second half and it made a huge differece.

fordronken

Reaction score
The Suns strategy, I've realized, is to play absolutely no defense for the first 40 minutes, but stay within ten points. Then, they suddenly start playing defense and the other team isn't used to it and completely folds under the pressure.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
fordronken said:
The Suns strategy, I've realized, is to play absolutely no defense for the first 40 minutes, but stay within ten points. Then, they suddenly start playing defense and the other team isn't used to it and completely folds under the pressure.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you about the lack of D through the first 40 minutes. I do, however, like your spin on how they are able to pull these games out. Good scouting.:thumbup:

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Nash has proved he owns the mavs and he did again....until dallas gets a good POINT GUARD they aren't beating the suns or spurs in a 7 game series.

nowagimp

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
It was a great afternoon for the second unit. Running the offense through Diaw with Nash on the wing confused the Mavs every time they ran that play.

Realistically, the Suns would have done even better if early in the game they dunked rather than tried to make soft layups. Fortunately Diaw and TT began dunking in the second half and it made a huge differece.

The strategy with Nash is to contain him, alow him into the lane and then prevent inside shots by having larger defenders nearby. This strategy will not work on Diaw who you cannot just "let into the lane", he will just go to the rack over, around the defense. Diaw plus good perimeter shooters on the floor, almost guarantees an open shot or a one-on-one with Diaw against a much slower or smaller player. The defensive strategists are making Diaw into a star. Theyre hoping he misses, but he getting awfully good at making them pay.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Comment from Dirk about playing the Suns.
Dirk Nowitzki admitted to being somewhat gassed Sunday afternoon against Phoenix, the last of three games since Thursday night.
"I was a little flat," said Nowitzki, who averaged 24.7 points and 39 minutes in the three games. "Obviously, the third game in 3 1/2 days [and] we have guys out. Phoenix goes up and down really like no other team. I'm not used to sprinting [that much]. They say in a regular game you run three miles; against Phoenix, you run eight miles."

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to congratulate you guys on the win Sunday. . it was well deserved. It was the capper of one of my worst weeks I can ever remember.

Wed - Big fight w/ G-Friend, in which I stupidly send her home in the middle of the night
Thur. - Mavs lose, G-Friends says she needs time to think, thinks we should be technically broken up until she figures it out
Fri - Can't get the Mavs game on season ticket due to black out, G-Friend doesn't call for the first time in 18 months
Sat. G-friend doesn't call for the 2nd time in 18 months
Sun - Mavs lose
Mon. - G-friend offically calls it quits. . . .

Anyway. . yeah, nice win, well deserved by a very very good team.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
greensborohill said:
I forgot to congratulate you guys on the win Sunday. . it was well deserved. It was the capper of one of my worst weeks I can ever remember.

Wed - Big fight w/ G-Friend, in which I stupidly send her home in the middle of the night
Thur. - Mavs lose, G-Friends says she needs time to think, thinks we should be technically broken up until she figures it out
Fri - Can't get the Mavs game on season ticket due to black out, G-Friend doesn't call for the first time in 18 months
Sun - Mavs lose

Ouch. Best wishes with everything man.

jibikao

Reaction score
greensborohill said:

Sun - Mavs lose

Mavs VS G-Friend, which one do you choose?! Is/was your G-friend into Mavs too?

I feel the pain.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Mavs VS G-Friend, which one do you choose?! Is/was your G-friend into Mavs too?

I feel the pain.

ironically enough, part of the reason she left was b/c she wasn't into a lot of the things I was into. . one of which was basketball. . she didn't like that I watched every game (only missed two so far this season). . . and thus, I was left w/ just the Mavs. . . . if I had to choose. . . . that's the thing, I don't feel like I should have to be made to choose. Besides, she already took the choice out of my hands. .

jibikao

Reaction score
greensborohill said:
ironically enough, part of the reason she left was b/c she wasn't into a lot of the things I was into. . one of which was basketball. . she didn't like that I watched every game (only missed two so far this season). . . and thus, I was left w/ just the Mavs. . . . if I had to choose. . . . that's the thing, I don't feel like I should have to be made to choose. Besides, she already took the choice out of my hands. .
Short-term pain is better than long-term pain. :D If you guys don't share a lot of common interest, it is a bit hard to get along for long-term. That's how I look at life/marriage/friendship/relationship. Hope you and her have not been together for too long. Any chance getting back to her or this is it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05