Suns @ Mavs 5/24/2006 game thread - ESPN scouting report

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow, what a game. Nash has steel cajones...i thought for sure we were done when they went up 9 with like 3 min. Clutch shot by Diaw. Hopefully, Raja will be ok for the next game...those calf injuries can tend to linger.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Wow looks like Charles Barkley and Dennis Green hang out at the same chinese buffets.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Quick quote from the Mavs board after the game:

"The bottom line...I hate playing Phoenix. They are so close to being perfect offensively that it drives you crazy"

jibikao

Reaction score
S_Marbury said:
Quick quote from the Mavs board after the game:

"The bottom line...I hate playing Phoenix. They are so close to being perfect offensively that it drives you crazy"

I think we just simply match up better with them. They don't have Brand or Duncan to draw all the attention. They are a very balanced team with not much offense plays except for one-on-one. Their offense doesn't tire us out and what's more is Nash plays beyond his ability against them all the time. That Cuban's face can really bring out the best of Nash.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am officially naming this team the Phoenix Cockroaches - THEY JUST WON'T DIE!!!!!!!!

Raja's gonna be out at least a week, maybe more. My Pop and best friend (both orthopods) said the way he talked about it - pop, felt like someone threw something at him, means he's done for a little while.

But hey - we beat their asses last year without JJ - now we'll just have to do the same without his replacment!

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE THIS TEAM.

Oh - and that Mavs team has to HATE Mark Cuban - anyone catch what he mouthed to them after they gave up Diaw's winner? Literally: "I thought you guys said before the game you WANTED TO WIN!" What a complete and utter douchebag.

jibikao

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I am officially naming this team the Phoenix Cockroaches - THEY JUST WON'T DIE!!!!!!!!

Raja's gonna be out at least a week, maybe more. My Pop and best friend (both orthopods) said the way he talked about it - pop, felt like someone threw something at him, means he's done for a little while.

But hey - we beat their asses last year without JJ - now we'll just have to do the same without his replacment!

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE THIS TEAM.

Oh - and that Mavs team has to HATE Mark Cuban - anyone catch what he mouthed to them after they gave up Diaw's winner? Literally: "I thought you guys said before the game you WANTED TO WIN!" What a complete and utter douchebag.

Mark Cuban said that to them? Oh... that's funny!

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
It is amazing how with avery and cubans yelling the mavs actually play well instead of horrible, I guess the minds of high paid sports athletes work differently because under avery and cuban I would play like garbage if I was an athlete.

Maybe that or their familys lifes are threatened each day.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
This series sort of has an Ivan Drago/Rocky Balboa type of feel to it.

With Cuban the domineering Russian manager/trainer

"OUR PEOPLE CHEER FOR HIM??!!" - Referring to lil' Stevie

Spurs were Apollo Creed.

"If he dies.....he dies."

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Avery Johnson is upset because his vaunted defense was shredded for 120 points on 54% shooting. He changes up his defense to take away the three point shot and Boris Diaw has a career. He throws four guys against Nash and all he does is score 27 on 11 of 18 including two killer threes in the closing run.

The birzzre part is that the Suns did not really play well offensively. Barbosa was off target and Tim Thomas was not much help after a huge first quarter. Bell scored only 8 points. Boris did not find his shot until the second half.

Avery thinks the problem is that his guys aren't doing their job. What he is not accepting is that the Suns really can score like that against almost any opponent.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion matched Dirk tonight. If he can do that all series we will win. Marion's playoff woes seem to be officially behind him now.

That is the key matchup for us.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barbosa has to play better if the Suns are going to have a chance. Considering his best game was the one Raja missed in LA, it is not impossible he will rise to it.

cly2tw

Reaction score
LB grows within each series. He'll get reminded by Dan DA that he gotta shoot some midrange jumpers or floaters when he drives by the first defender with Dirk protecting the basket, because Dirk won't step out. He'll also learn how to deal with Harris/Terry better. I'm confident. His passes out of double team under the basket is quite good now.

For my taste, DA played Nash too long in the 3rd period. Dallas' surge at the end was partially fueled by Nash's being tired. We need to rest him more.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbosa was god awful tonight. How is that "growing" each game?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
What a win!!

Had to take family somewhere and listened last 5 min in the car. I was yelling and high five'ing with wife and kids in the car... I was so excited.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Those of us saying that Diaw was key were right. But I didn't expect anything like this! When he is focused and in rhythm, he's a devastating weapon. What a great time for him to score his career high.

Now, just think, what if the Suns actually get some rebounds in Game 2?

The Suns were held to 5-15 from behind the arc, but shot 60% from two-point range (42-70). LOL.

The series is a long way from over, but it sure is nicer to be up 1-0 than down 0-1.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Also what if the suns can shoot better from the free throw line like they are supposed to, what if they can hit 40-43 percent from three?

The suns didn't even bring their A game today LB was off and Tim got lost after the first quarter. It was more like a B grade game and we won.

*edit you know and a thought just came into my head we all remember dirk hitting those 3, three pointers against us in the regular season and winning, how great is it for nash to get payback for that in the playoffs with 2 threes to bring us right back in it so we can surge and take the win. That is beautiful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05