Suns @ Mavs - Game thread - Scouting report: Suns vs. Mavs Game 2

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Come on now. This game was ours for the taking until about 2 minutes remaining.

No energy--that was Game 6 against the Clippers, not this game.

Yup we had a chance until the team started hoisting up contested 3 pt shots for 3 straight possessions. Then LB does one of the Suns patented "ole" fouls leading to a 3 pt play.

After that the game went to hell for the Suns

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I agree, Barbosa cost us the game. I'd consider starting Jones on Sunday and use Barbosa first off the bench again. Jones contributes a lot more in other facets of the game, especially with his often overlooked work on the boards. He's gotten some tough rebounds in traffic and I've been impressed with his boxing out.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few things jumped out at me:

We had 46 points in the paint to their 48 so we were attacking the basket, yet we had 11 fts to their 36 fts.......that's a huge deciding factor in the game. This is where the game was won. (although the last 6ft's were intentional fouls, but it's still a huge discrepency).

Barbosa struggled bigtime, made poor decisions, took poor shots and missed them. He had some good moments too and hit a few threes, but he was forcing things rather than playing within his abilities (trying to shoot a 20ft shot over 7ft Dirk isn't smart).

James Jones played good defense and had 6 blocks in limited minutes and those blocks were on Dallas layups and putbacks.

Marion had 19pts & 19 rebs, but was almost invisible in the game. He needed to take more of a role offensively especially with Howard, KVH or Dirk trying to guard him.

Diaw is still showing how great he's going to be, but his defense on Josh Howard is horrible. We need to switch Marion onto Howard and let Diaw try to guard Dirk for a while. Diaw's actually got more length to bother Dirk and his slower foot speed won't be abused by Dirk as much as Howard is abusing him.

Our most productive lineup was when we played big with Nash, JR, Diaw, Marion, TT.

Diop really changed the game for Dallas, they let him loose to go after rebounds with reckless abandon. He was the only Mav going after offensive boards and was able to tip the ball and get Dallas more possessions (although he was constantly over the back and pushing people out of the way to get those rebounds and tips).

Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
I agree. And putting Marion on Howard sounds like a good idea. We can't have Josh shooting 29 every night. the FT numbers are what jumped our of the screen when I saw the box score at the game end. What's worse is that of the 11 Fts, we made only 8 - a poor 70% ! And that's lower than our reg season FT attempts of around 18 per game (IIRC).

Even Nash missed a FT. We really need to dreaw more fouls and improve our FT %. Diop or not, its a mystery to me as to why Nash just refused to shoot in the 2nd half. His low production hurt as well. Another glaring number is TT's RB - 1. I didn't notice it during the game but if 1 rebound is all TT had, thats sad.

Lets hope playing on home court calms LB down and helps him regain his confidence.

Last edited:

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
The difference in the game was Dallas got fouls called according to "playoff rules" and the Suns got fouls called according to "regular season rules". The Suns were whistled for many ticky-tack fouls - points in the paint were about even, so I don't buy the NBA media guys crappy explanation that Dallas went inside and the Sun's fouled a lot at the end of the game. It's time for the Suns to get the same treatment on fouls - I'm really sick of hearing "AND THE FOUL" at the end of a Dallas shot.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
It was a good effort last night, but the series is 1-1 at least. I'm looking forward to Phoenix busting some tail on Sunday in game 3.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
gdiddy said:
It was a good effort last night, but the series is 1-1 at least. I'm looking forward to Phoenix busting some tail on Sunday in game 3.

Yeah I think we have to feel good knowing that despite all the missed shots, and poor defensive decisions, we still were in the game. I think taking it back to Phx. will give us a big boost.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05