Suns missed chances in recent drafts

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns missed chances in recent drafts

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 24, 2007 10:37 PM
It was 2003 when the only similar things to this June were lamenting a recent playoff exit to San Antonio and hearing Shawn Marion trade rumors.

Four years ago was the last time the Suns gave fans something that was not off the used lot. Phoenix, homing in on a trade to land a top-10 pick in Thursday's draft, is about to give fans that feeling again, like the day they took Zarko Cabarkapa to complement Amaré Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa to back up Stephon Marbury.

Cabarkapa, who may wind up out of the league after not playing for Golden State last season because of a back injury, then said through an interpreter, "I look up to the game of Dirk Nowitzki. I believe I can develop that kind of game."

Hey, one of two is not bad, just like the previous year when Phoenix snagged Stoudemire and Casey Jacobsen (over Tayshaun Prince) in the first round. The Suns chose Cabarkapa over Brian Cook once Luke Ridnour was gone.

Barbosa talked that day about being like Allen Iverson, but that he was too selfish. That honesty has held up much better than Cabarkapa's. It has stood up better than the theories of those who passed on Barbosa because of a funky shooting stroke (he was seventh in three-point accuracy last season) and a lack of English (he is fluent now).

Phoenix's core came from its drafts - Stoudemire, Barbosa, Marion and Nash, although Nash was reacquired.

But for the past three seasons, the only drafted players on the roster were second-round short-timers Jackson Vroman and Dijon Thompson.

Phoenix had never gone three seasons without a first-round draft pick but has not taken a first-round pick in six of the past 10 drafts. Previously, the Suns drafted in the first round in 26 of 29 drafts.

Last year, the Suns entered the draft with the 21st and 27th picks but traded both on draft night when they failed to trade up and saw 16 targeted players go in the first 16 picks.

Phoenix had designs on Thabo Sefolosha but Seattle turned down an offer of three first-round picks for its 10th pick, where it took rookie bust Mouhamed Sene.

Phoenix had a fleeting consideration to take Shannon Brown at No. 21 but traded the pick to Boston, taking Rajon Rondo on the Celtics' behalf. In return, Boston absorbed Brian Grant's $1.8 million final contract year and sent the Suns a pick from Cleveland that became this year's 24th pick.

Just as the Suns had decided against Rondo or Marcus Williams at No. 21, the Suns passed on Sergio Rodriguez at No. 27 and traded that choice for $3 million from Portland, which tabbed Rodriguez. Williams was considered a poor half-court fit with character issues. Phoenix did not believe Rodriguez could contribute immediately, and the Suns addressed backup point guard with the free-agent signing of Marcus Banks, who ironically would not work out for Phoenix before the 2003 draft.

In 2005, the Suns had an agreement to trade a future first-round pick and Quentin Richardson to New York for Kurt Thomas. With Richardson's back issues, the Knicks insisted on the 2005 No. 21 pick, and Phoenix obliged with the idea that another $1.1 million off the cap could not hurt negotiations with Joe Johnson. The Suns took Nate Robinson on New York's behalf but would have picked Francisco Garcia.

The 2004 draft pass may be the hardest to relive for fans. Phoenix traded the No. 7 pick to Chicago for the pick that became Vroman, a future first-round pick that became the one that went to New York and $3 million to replace a check cut to Charlotte to take Jahidi White.

The Suns had just balked at giving Marion, Joe Johnson and the No. 7 pick to Orlando for Tracy McGrady and wanted to clear space for a free-agency push when Kobe Bryant and Nash were on the market.

The Suns said the money enabled them to sign Richardson and Nash but Phoenix had assumed the player it wanted, Andre Iguodala, would not be available at No. 7. Phoenix drafted Luol Deng on behalf of Chicago but Iguodala was still on the board.

Some new insight that I haven't heard from past drafts.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting article.

Although they didn't show much in the NBA till now (in case of Brown nothing), I liked both Garcia and Brown in college.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting article.

Although they didn't show much in the NBA till now (in case of Brown nothing), I liked both Garcia and Brown in college.

The big problem with the draft is that some guys are great college guys who simply lack the physical stuff to make it int ehe NBA. At the same time, there are guys who are physically superior who don't produce. As you go later into the draft, it really becomes a "pick your poison" choice.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i just dont understand this "they cant contribute NOW" mentality.

passing on the opportunity to develop young talent is what kills teams a couple years down the road. trading away draft picks is no better than Minny forfeiting theirs 4 years in a row. and look where they are now.

and trading away 3 first rounders for an aging star isnt much better IMO

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is "raw" and there is "raw". Many college players have almost no training in fundimentals and the NBA season is so intense they don't get enough time to be trained.

As fans we want it both ways. We want to draft guys with lots of potential, but then give up on them when they don't produce. Boris didn't make the transition to a different position last season as well as he might, so now people want to dump him. Yes, he's got a big contract which won't be curred by unloading a base year player. But it is like panic sets in when a guy doesn't produce like they want.

D'Antoni has a quick hook, but he at least stayed with Barbosa when there was a huge contingent wanting to trade him. This is a town that thinks if a guy is not immediately productive he's a bust.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate the selling off of the picks. Especially when you consider we tend to sell off multiple picks for bad decisions. Or make a horrible decision trying to get rid of a bad decision. Like the googs trade where we gave up 2 firsts to get rid of an EXPIRING contract, not in 1 year, but about 3 months. Nomrally teams trade FOR expiring contracts and give up stuff, not the other way around.

-------
Phoenix had a fleeting consideration to take Shannon Brown at No. 21 but traded the pick to Boston, taking Rajon Rondo on the Celtics' behalf. In return, Boston absorbed Brian Grant's $1.8 million final contract year and sent the Suns a pick from Cleveland that became this year's 24th pick
----
This stunk because brian grant although not really great, and over the hill, as a 1.8 mill 12th man wouldn't be too bad to hold onto for 1 more year. And having the 24th pick right now might have helped to move up and prevent us from giving up say barbosa now. 2 1sts for getting rid of brian grant's 1 year 1.8 million dollar contract is a high price.

There's also the possibility of parlaying a 24th pick into a 1st round next year, or 2 this year for 1 next year non-lottery protected, or only top 3 or something. Not to mention we'd either have rondo or could have traded the pick for somebody or some pick. Well hopefully. But I'd rather take the pick then give it away like that.

It makes more sense if they were thinking of Joe Johnson's contract, but still considering that cap savings would have helped at all if say they actually offered a max contract it would make more sense. I don't believe they had to trade him to offer him what they offered.

As for the Iguodala and Deng, they should have waited to see who was on the board before making the trade. Inexcusable.

If the bulls said oh we need to trade now, I'd say, oh well, go ahead and make another deal then.

I still feel we don't have to trade any of our top 7 this year and have a great shot to win a championship Spurs or no Spurs.

Even though this stuff is in the past, these things happened on draft day, So if for some reason we feel we must trade, when clearly we DO NOT HAVE to trade, I do not want to see anything like this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05