Suns open Summer League in Las Vegas, July 13th, 2024

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns (2-3) fall to the Kings (2-3) today in Las Vegas, 87-77.

I'm not aware of any more scheduled games for Phoenix.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The camera angle made the dunk look much longer as the restricted arc looked like the top of the key.

This could be the same dunk from a different angle.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s definitely same dunk. I kept rewatching the other video thinking, “that’s not a free throw line dunk, why is anyone excited about that?”

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly Dunn's dunk started just before the restricted arc not the arc at the top of the key.

If Dunn's dunk had started before the top of the key, it would have far surpassed any basketball dunk I have seen, including Michael Jordon and Julius Irving.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, Dunn’s shooting percentage for the summer means he will be lucky to see the floor for any extended period of time.

He certainly can't shoot, but I think they were asking him to try some stuff (pull ups, mid rangers, ball handling) that the main squad won't be looking for.

If he can slash, rim run and rebound, he can carve himself out a role while he (hopefully) learns how to shoot.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah, he needs to get accustomed to the pace and bulk up a bit, and find ways to contribute, especially on offence. Not easy to see how he can surpass Okogie and even Roddy. Hope he makes it. Remember Ceballos blossomed late. At least I don't think he is a knucklehead, like Josh Jackson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns drafted two players who have a lot of upside in Ryan Dunn and Oso Ighodaro, but neither have a reliable outside shot.

I'm hoping the other parts of their game can carry them until they can learn to shoot better, if it happens.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bridges seems like he can shoot the three. Will be interesting to see him possibly on the second crew get up some shots and how he does.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Bridges looks to be a steal for the Suns as an UDFA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges and Oso look like they should make the team.

Dunn being a 1st round pick will as well. Bridges is presently on a two-way contract.

Oso signed a 4-year contract with the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Isaiah Wong is not on our G League team, nor do I see we offered him anything. Just wondering why he was on the Summer League team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaiah Wong is not on our G League team, nor do I see we offered him anything. Just wondering why he was on the Summer League team.

I don't have the exact answer, but the Suns probably wanted to give him a look during summer league. It's not uncommon if there is mutual interest. Phoenix will have to decide if they want to sign him to some type of contract in order to keep him, otherwise another team can pick him up.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have the exact answer, but the Suns probably wanted to give him a look during summer league. It's not uncommon if there is mutual interest. Phoenix will have to decide if they want to sign him to some type of contract in order to keep him, otherwise another team can pick him up.
Most likely the suns needed another body which means the player is auditioning for other teams. Doesn’t mean the Suns themselves was interested.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Roddy's D is still sub par after 2 years, so his role on this team is very limited at best. Hopefully some team may see from his SL stats some potential in him and willing to take his contract off Suns' hands. Wong is the most intriguing guy who can shake off his defenders with dribbles as well as anybody in the NBA, but his D is also below average. He needs at least one year experience in any professional league around the globe and then come back to NBA to shine like the best of those guards.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Roddy's D is still sub par after 2 years, so his role on this team is very limited at best. Hopefully some team may see from his SL stats some potential in him and willing to take his contract off Suns' hands. Wong is the most intriguing guy who can shake off his defenders with dribbles as well as anybody in the NBA, but his D is also below average. He needs at least one year experience in any professional league around the globe and then come back to NBA to shine like the best of those guards.
Wong might need a good NBA assistant coach who can teach defensive technique on a roster with a bit of slack.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely the suns needed another body which means the player is auditioning for other teams. Doesn’t mean the Suns themselves was interested.

This is true, but I'm sure the Suns had him on their radar as a player that might fit their system. Wong seems to be more of a shooting guard at this stage of his career. With his limited height, he may need to make this conversion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He certainly can't shoot, but I think they were asking him to try some stuff (pull ups, mid rangers, ball handling) that the main squad won't be looking for.

If he can slash, rim run and rebound, he can carve himself out a role while he (hopefully) learns how to shoot.
I hope so, otherwise he’s just a rich man’s okogie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bridges seems like he can shoot the three. Will be interesting to see him possibly on the second crew get up some shots and how he does.
My concern is he has a lengthy shooting motion. Ain’t gonna have that much time to shoot in the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy