Suns @ Pistons Friday game thread, October 11th, 2024: Preseason

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I swear I almost said something earlier about how I expected to see the Big 3 held out for the remainder of pre-season. I guess it's Book's turn tonight though, which is good.
I would have thought the opposite since it’s Detroit but maybe he got his hometown visits in already.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Piston 109 - Suns 91

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's starting to bother me some when player's have an open lane and take a 3 instead. I get it, 3 > 2, but the fact guys pass up guaranteed 2's on fast break like situations is frustrating. Maybe that's a sign I'm not longer getting old and have hit that dreaded "old age" stage of life. Will my anger and confusion grow as years go on or will guys start taking the points? I don't know. Minor rant over.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the entire game, but it looks like the Suns depth took a hit tonight.

Still want to sign Collin Gillespie to a long term regular contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Rankin tells it like it is, describing the game last night.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duane Rankin tells it like it is, describing the game last night.

The second half looked like the Suns were bored. I don't remember when I zoned out time wise. My final straw was sometime in the 3rd when there was a bad pass that led to a turnover but Tyus stole it right back and the Suns had a clear 2 on 1 advantage because guys had already flown down the opposite end of the court but he jacked a bad quick 3, like he didn't set for it really just rushed behind the line and threw it up. The shot missed and Pistons got an uncontested board while Tyus and someone else on the Suns took their sweet time getting back. It was ugly basketball and each time I'd look and check the score it was still a bad game with poor play with zero heart or urgency. It felt like watching the Suns scrimmage against a team who was playing to win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second half looked like the Suns were bored. I don't remember when I zoned out time wise. My final straw was sometime in the 3rd when there was a bad pass that led to a turnover but Tyus stole it right back and the Suns had a clear 2 on 1 advantage because guys had already flown down the opposite end of the court but he jacked a bad quick 3, like he didn't set for it really just rushed behind the line and threw it up. The shot missed and Pistons got an uncontested board while Tyus and someone else on the Suns took their sweet time getting back. It was ugly basketball and each time I'd look and check the score it was still a bad game with poor play with zero heart or urgency. It felt like watching the Suns scrimmage against a team who was playing to win.

I hope the Suns depth was not an illusion. As Duane Rankin points out, the Suns seem small without Nurkic. It goes back to their need for another rotation 4/5.

Also, rookies Ryan Dunn and Oso Ighodaro came back down to earth. I know the Suns were missing good players, but the effort wasn't there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Sore achilles” gives me McCaffrey vibes…

I hope this is not the case. Grayson Allen doesn't look to be in basketball game shape. All this muscle and/or weight doesn't look to improve his game.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running plays through Kd ugh. I thought we weren’t doing that.
KD is way too lax with the ball. I think he had three turnovers in a row at one point in the first half. Coach Bud needs to get him to clean that up. Sloppy passes that had no chance.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's played in one single preseason game. Sorry, but I think it's way overboard to start making judgements right now.

I think it's reasonable to question any Suns player coming to camp 32 pounds over their listed playing weight, whether it has effected their basketball conditioning. The injury situation only clouds the issue. I think the same question would apply to any other Suns player on the roster if they were to do so.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to question any Suns player coming to camp 32 pounds over their listed playing weight, whether it has effected their basketball conditioning. The injury situation only clouds the issue. I think the same question would apply to any other Suns player on the roster if they were to do so.
I'm not sure if you know this, but he wasn't his listed playing weight last year either. He himself has said ge gained somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds this summer.

But believe what you want.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He admitted that the 190 or whatever was very outdated.