Suns @ Pistons Tuesday game thread, October 8th, 2024: Preseason

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns move on to play the next two preseason games against the Pistons on Tuesday and Friday.

The first game will be played at East Lansing, Michigan with the second game being played in Phoenix.

When: Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Television: : AZ Family 3TV

Radio: ESPN 620 AM / 98.7 FM HD-2

Time: 4 PM Arizona time

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
On Sunday, the Pistons beat the Bucks, 120-87. It's preseason but still a surprising score.

It's the Pistons, so I imagine, their preseason team is much like their regular season team, whereas Milwaukee only played guys that either won't play in the regular season or won't make the team at all.

All speculation of course.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton were out, but the Bucks still played some good players.

Against Detroit, I'm more anxious to see how the Suns bench evolves. It was exciting to see all the new players against the Lakers.

Reaction score
I was deeply impressed with how well Ighodaro played. He was the very definition of "hitting the ground running." Didn't the Suns draft him in the second round? If so, he may prove to be one of the steals of that draft.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sort of refreshing to see younger guys (even if inexperienced) running around the floor and flying all over the court. For once the team doesn't feel like Cocoon the movie.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I was deeply impressed with how well Ighodaro played. He was the very definition of "hitting the ground running." Didn't the Suns draft him in the second round? If so, he may prove to be one of the steals of that draft.
My early overreaction is that Ighodaro should get the Bol Bol development minutes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My early overreaction is that Ighodaro should get the Bol Bol development minutes.

I like this early overreaction stuff. It could be fun to follow.

Let's see how it plays out after only one preseason game.

I'm liking Collin Gillespie and Oso Ighodaro as rookies ahead of the other rookies. Maybe Oso over Bol Bol as well because the Suns could use a third center. Of course, Oso will get minutes because of his guaranteed contract.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I like this early overreaction stuff. It could be fun to follow.

Let's see how it plays out after only one preseason game.

I'm liking Collin Gillespie and Oso Ighodaro as rookies ahead of the other rookies. Maybe Oso over Bol Bol as well because the Suns could use a third center. Of course, Oso will get minutes because of his guaranteed contract.
To be honest I think my take was as much an indictment on Bol as it is praise for Oso. Tough to find a position for Bol. He's still too lean to be a 5, and too slow and lanky to be a 4. His shot release is so slow that despite his height, he can't really let it fly without a decent amount of space.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be honest I think my take was as much an indictment on Bol as it is praise for Oso. Tough to find a position for Bol. He's still too lean to be a 5, and too slow and lanky to be a 4. His shot release is so slow that despite his height, he can't really let it fly without a decent amount of space.
This is a weird take to me considered what he showed last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but bol bol stayed for a reason - promises were made - 3 pointers - defense - distribution - and minutes

Promising opportunity is one thing but minutes is another. If he wants to be part of a winner then he needs to out play his competition. No contender should offer development time in games to youngsters.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can understand why you are frustrated with Bol Bol after the Lakers game. He looked lost out there. Let's see what happens going forward, but I agree, Oso looks to have more upside. On the bright side, the Suns have a lot more talent on the roster this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Promising opportunity is one thing but minutes is another. If he wants to be part of a winner then he needs to out play his competition. No contender should offer development time in games to youngsters.

Unless it's garbage time, but even then, Bol Bol needs to earn it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some Bol Bol highlights and player comments to lift our spirits.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess my real take is that we're already seeing the upper bound on what Bol can be (7th or 8th man on a good team) whereas Oso has the opportunity to be a starter in the future.
He does? I know he had a good game, but it was the first preseason game. Not enough there yet to proclaim him a future starter.

Wemby had a terrible first game last season and people were calling him a bust. They aren't calling that now.

Reaction score
He does? I know he had a good game, but it was the first preseason game. Not enough there yet to proclaim him a future starter.
By this reasoning, every time anyone says a player looked great in a preseason game, someone else can immediately dismiss it with "small sample size, small sample size." Why say anything at all about preseason performances?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake