suns scrimmages

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
what a fun team to break into 2! how would you do it? i think the following would be fun:

nash
barbosa
jones
amare
KT

vs.

banks
bell
marion
diaw
marks

gosh, its to the point that i'd wish for practices to be televised lol!

asudevil83

Reaction score
sheesh. i read the first lineup and thought "damn, that would destroy the other one." then i read the second lineup and said "wow".

that is TWO STRONG 5 man lineups, except for Marks.

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
I hope they will get another big man to make it even.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually Marks is not an easy guy to defend for KT, because Marks can knock down the 16-footer with regularity.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Actually Marks is not an easy guy to defend for KT, because Marks can knock down the 16-footer with regularity.

really....

interesting......

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
really....

interesting......

But you didn't ask me if Marks could defend KT, to which Marks would probably echo Charles Barkley's comment:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's called defense, Ernie. I wouldn't know anything about it, personally. But I've heard it through the grapevine.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
But you didn't ask me if Marks could defend KT, to which Marks would probably echo Charles Barkley's comment:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

what if we switch marks and KT? what about switching bell and barbosa, and let banks and barbosa tire out everyone else on the court :)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to what we have Sean Marks took 58 jump shots last season. He was 2/5 from within 17 feet, 26/50 from 17 feet to the three-point line, and 0/3 on his three-pointers.

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to figure the Suns are seeing something in Marks we're not. From what I can tell, he had only one "big" game last season when he went 8 of 9 against the Raptors and grabbed 5 rebounds in 25 minutes. He had another nice game against the Knicks where he shot 4 of 6 and grabbed 6 rebounds in just 16 minutes. None the less, he had almost no playing time after the Knicks game, playing a total of 10 minutes for the rest of the regular season and 12 in playoffs.

Obviously after they found Boris who was buried on a bad team, it is premature to assume that Marks can't play. Still, he hasn't shown much so far and has been in the league a while.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Marks is a sorry defender. He had two years on Miami and two years on SA - and in both cases his minutes dropped from his first to second year. Now his shooting in fairly good and he's middling at rebounding, so more or less by default we're left with defense being his weakness. And that would be something that would hurt him with either of those two teams.

He also spent two years in Toronto, playing a total of 40 minutes or so. He'll be 31 before the season starts.

My guess is the D'Antoni doesn't want to get caught in a situation where there'd be any reason to play Burke so he's getting Marks to make sure that doesn't happen.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I'm guessing the Marks is a sorry defender. He had two years on Miami and two years on SA - and in both cases his minutes dropped from his first to second year. Now his shooting in fairly good and he's middling at rebounding, so more or less by default we're left with defense being his weakness. And that would be something that would hurt him with either of those two teams.

He also spent two years in Toronto, playing a total of 40 minutes or so. He'll be 31 before the season starts.

My guess is the D'Antoni doesn't want to get caught in a situation where there'd be any reason to play Burke so he's getting Marks to make sure that doesn't happen.

At least he'll be a "young" 31 since he hasn't had a lot of wear and tear. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I have to figure the Suns are seeing something in Marks we're not. From what I can tell, he had only one "big" game last season when he went 8 of 9 against the Raptors and grabbed 5 rebounds in 25 minutes. He had another nice game against the Knicks where he shot 4 of 6 and grabbed 6 rebounds in just 16 minutes. None the less, he had almost no playing time after the Knicks game, playing a total of 10 minutes for the rest of the regular season and 12 in playoffs.

Those games came when Duncan was out, and he was getting meaningful minutes. He is what he is: An end of the bench player who can actually contribute a little scoring when asked. He also likes to be the finisher on the alley oop -- he's not a total stiff.

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
playstation said:
what a fun team to break into 2! how would you do it? i think the following would be fun:

nash
barbosa
jones
amare
KT

vs.

banks
bell
marion
diaw
marks

gosh, its to the point that i'd wish for practices to be televised lol!

now its even better!

nash
barbosa
james
amare
KT
bench-pike,burke

vs.

banks
bell
marion
jumaine
diaw
bench-marks

how can one side have nash AND amare, and the other still have a chance? unreal

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
playstation said:
now its even better!

nash
barbosa
james
amare
KT
bench-pike,burke

vs.

banks
bell
marion
jumaine
diaw
bench-marks

how can one side have nash AND amare, and the other still have a chance? unreal

AND next summer this team will have 3, yes 3 (unless they trade up, which would be wise) first round picks in the deepest draft in decades.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly think the Suns actual second team will have a radically different look from the first team.

FIRST TEAM

C - KT
PF - Stoudemire
SF - Marion
SG - Bell
PG - Nash

SECOND TEAM

C - Diaw
PF - Jumaine Jones
SF - James Jones (probably Marion or Bell most of the time though)
SG - Barbosa
PG - Banks

The key for this second team is raw speed, especially when Marion is in the lineup. Look at the way this year's USA team plays and ask why couldn't the Suns use the same kind of attack/press defense. With this level of athleticism, they could chase opponents all over the floor causing turnovers and disruption.

One reason for using this lineup would be that they would playing the opponoent's backup players. After the opponent's starters have begun to tire from the Sun's pace, the Sun switch from impulse to warp drive.

One advatage to using Diaw with this group is that he's better suited to pressing defense than KT. At the same time, KT is better suited to taking on the opponent's main low post guy defensively to keep Amare aout of foul trouble. The second team lacks the raw firepower of Stoudemire and Nash, so adding Diaw give them more offensive punch than KT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05