Suns Sign Jermaine O'neal

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye is not an All-Star by any stretch, but to be fair he has shot about 45% from the field and 39% from three for his career. Nash shot 39% from behind the arc last season. Frye is not a bad shooter.

If his shoulder is healthy, he will likely shoot better this than last year.

However, we are still gonna suck next season.

As he has becoming more and more reliant on his outside game his shooting percentage has gone down during his career. Last year he shot 41% from the field. He shot 35% when Nash was not in the game last season. The previous year (before any shoulder issues) he also shot below 40% without Nash.

Unless he starts playing on the interior more than I think his shooting percentages are going to be very bad next year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As he has becoming more and more reliant on his outside game his shooting percentage has gone down during his career. Last year he shot 41% from the field. He shot 35% when Nash was not in the game last season. The previous year (before any shoulder issues) he also shot below 40% without Nash.

Unless he starts playing on the interior more than I think his shooting percentages are going to be very bad next year.
Even if Frye's numbers are OK, he is still a "2" in the body of a C/PF and that hurts the team.

The only way that would change is if he were to actually play Shooting Guard, but then the other "2" guards in the league would run circles around him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Frye was injured last year. That's why he's going to be out the first month of THIS year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Surprising to me that he is so articulate and well-spoken. I always thought he was a Shawn Marion-type of guy that was a terrible interview.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One can only think how good the Suns might be if O'Neal played healthy the whole season behind Gortat. Center and power forward could be the strength of the team with the addition of Scola. Of course the key for making this happen falls on Dragic. It is likely too much to ask.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Frye was injured last year. That's why he's going to be out the first month of THIS year.
I think Phrazbit meant next season, rather than next year. Most of us tend to interchange those two terms. And, of course, next season has yet to begin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Phrazbit meant next season, rather than next year. Most of us tend to interchange those two terms. And, of course, next season has yet to begin.

I know what he meant. I just think anytime you quote stats from last season/year, you must take into consideration he was injured.

In basketball, I always thought season and year pretty much meant the same thing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it say something about this team when the most lively thread is about JO?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Doesn't it say something about this team when the most lively thread is about JO?

It's also the only that's happened re: suns news in the past two weeks.

You're just looking for stuff to complain about, aren't you? ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also the only that's happened re: suns news in the past two weeks.

You're just looking for stuff to complain about, aren't you? ;)

Tonight I am. LOL. Had a very bad day at work. Had a guy on our team who made the rest of the team look bad. Unfortunately, he doesn't report to me or I would take care of it. Put me in a pissy mood.

GO SUNS?!?!? ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Frye is worse at center than he is at PF.

That may be, but he's 100 times better than O'Neal at any position, including point guard. I think you're in denial about how far done O'Neal is. The fork was stuck into him so long ago that it is now covered with rust.

I fully expect O'Neal to be the backup center throughout the season... when healthy.

For the 20 minutes all season long that he's "healthy," you could be right about that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That may be, but he's 100 times better than O'Neal at any position, including point guard. I think you're in denial about how far done O'Neal is. The fork was stuck into him so long ago that it is now covered with rust.

For the 20 minutes all season long that he's "healthy," you could be right about that.

I agree, O'Neal is a bloated corpse. But his corpse is a more servicable center than Frye is. My point was not to praise O'Neal, who I think is going to blow chunks. Rather, that I think Frye's done. He absolutely cannot play center and the Suns have 3 guys (Morris, Scola and sadly... Beasley) who are better options at power forward.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
... Nash shot 39% from behind the arc last season ...

Dang! I thought he racked up another 50-40-90 season (field goal, three point, free throw percentage). What a bummer. Hope he can get another 50-40-90 in Hell A.

I want Nash to do good wherever he's at, just as with JJ and Leandro and, well yeah okay, also Amaré.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake