Suns Sign Jermaine O'neal

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At a stringbean 6'11" - 226 lbs., I hope you're right. But then, he can't play any softer than Frye, who is apparently going to be Gortat's backup when he returns.

Haven't the Suns learned? We need a real backup Center to keep from wearing down our franchise player.

226lbs? Maybe when he entered the league more than a decade and a half ago as an 18 year old.

He may not have any ability left but he does of legit size.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't the Suns learned? We need a real backup Center to keep from wearing down our franchise player.

Franchise player? Who would that be?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is the proverbial cherry on top of a shat sandwich.

Good grief.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is our franchise player, isn't he? If not, who else, at this time?

I guess this begs the question, does every team have a franchise player? If Gortat is the Suns, who is the Magic... Arron Afflalo.

I do not think every team has, as what is traditionally considered, a franchise player including Phoenix. Maybe someone will step up later, but as of now the Suns do not have a franchise player, someone that can carry the team, a cornerstone type player to build around.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article about that, written seven months ago, anticipating the Suns without Steve Nash. It cites the areas that Marcin has been working on in order to be a franchise player.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...gortat-franchise-big-man-phoenix-suns-rebuild

I like Gortat a lot. It's hard to conjure up the Suns having a better traditional center in recent times. I want to keep him because good starting centers are rare. This season will be a true test for Gortat playing without Nash. It will speak volumes as to his ability. However, it's hard for me to consider him as a franchise type player without him being able to create his own shot for the most part or shut down the middle on defense. However, it can be successfully argued he is the best player on this Suns team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A few posts ago, I had checked O'Neal's up-to-date stats and it showed his height and weight as 6'11 - 226 lbs.

SunsTzu was absolutely right that the weight was a long time ago.

His current weight is 255 lbs. Now we'll see if JYD's opinion that O'Neal is in better health than he has been in five years holds up. He went through the same overseas blood procedure as Kobe, Grant Hill and A-Rod.

Between Jermaine as backup Center and Scola (6'9" - 245) shifting over from PF, Gortat should be able to get sufficient rest throughout the season.

Then there is Frye when he returns. Hmmm, I wonder if Fry's needs a soft, tall bagger at the front registers. He is already on their payroll. And with Nash and Hill both gone, there are openings with APS and Leslie's Pool Supplies. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunsTzu was absolutely right that the weight was a long time ago.

His current weight is 255 lbs. Now we'll see if JYD's opinion that O'Neal is in better health than he has been in five years holds up. He went through the same overseas blood procedure as Kobe, Grant Hill and A-Rod.

Between Jermaine as backup Center and Scola (6'9" - 245) shifting over from PF, Gortat should be able to get sufficient rest throughout the season.

It's not hard to figure out what makes you happy... size. Now if the Suns can only keep O'Neal healthy. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is our franchise player, isn't he? If not, who else, at this time?

no one on this team is it's franchise player. I mean, that's like saying Gerald Henderson is the Charlotte Bobcats' franchise player. It's laughable to use that phrase just because a guy has the best stats on a team... especially stats that aren't even all that impressive, for a team that's even less impressive. Some teams just don't have a franchise... we're one of those teams.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What exactly is everyone complaining about? This signing has just about as much impact as signing Garret Siler.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly is everyone complaining about? This signing has just about as much impact as signing Garret Siler.

Because we didn't sign a likable young, veteran, franchise level, walk on, all star scrub, free agent to a long term minimum level deal. This doesn't fit with the lack of plan that the Suns are using to make the playoffs yet win the lottery. Further, this fits with other guys the Suns have or have not signed that were also unlikable young, veteran, franchise level, walk on, all star scrub free agents.

And damn it the Suns fans aren't going to take it anymore.

Hopefully that covers everyone's complaints?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we didn't sign a likable young, veteran, franchise level, walk on, all star, scrub, free agent to a long term minimum level deal. This doesn't fit with the lack of plan that the Suns are using to make the playoffs yet win the lottery.

Hopefully that covers everyone's complaints?

lol.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article about that, written seven months ago, anticipating the Suns without Steve Nash. It cites the areas that Marcin has been working on in order to be a franchise player.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...gortat-franchise-big-man-phoenix-suns-rebuild

That's nice, but Gortat will NEVER, EVER, EVER be a franchise player. A franchise player is a legitimate superstar you build a team around. Gortat no more fills that role than Jared Dudley does. Nice players, disappear at times, don't create match-up problems for most other teams.

The Suns are the NBA equivalent of a Cadillac Cimarron. Just because it has leather seats doesn't make it a luxury sedan.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I like Gortat a lot, but I can't say he is a franchise player. He is a very good starter and has done well with Nash feeding him the ball. We will see how he does this year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why is a team in our position bringing in a well over the hill, unlikable, veteran? I dont like the signing because there is no possible benefit. This isnt even a guy you'd want tutoring young guys. And if we're going to suck, I'd rather watch some likable young players suck.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like Gortat a lot, but I can't say he is a franchise player. He is a very good starter and has done well with Nash feeding him the ball. We will see how he does this year.
I was thinking, and should have said, Gortat is the closest thing to a franchise player we have this season. It will be ironic if he backs up Howard one more time -- in the All Star game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake