Suns Sign Matt Janning to a Multiyear Deal

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh I believe that its out there, what Im saying is I personally hadnt read anything or heard the comparison untill I youtubed janning and watched a few of his highlights. I was actually coming to this thread to say his game reminds me of jeff hornacek but when I finally had read through all the posts it had already been mentioned.

So its not that the suns put that in our heads, thats the first player that popped into my head after Kirk Heinrick, but as I kept watching more highlights janning is much more crafty than kirk.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes all those dunks in his youtube clips looked a lot like all of the dunks Hornacek used to do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Janning should not be compared to Hornacek. It's not fair to Janning.

However, there are similarities. Jeff had outstanding composure on the court and a high basketball IQ when he arrived in Phoenix (which Janning seems to possess). Also both needed work on their outside shot. Where they differ is that Hornacek already had excellent passing and ball handling skills. This made Jeff special. I'm not sure if Janning will ever have this quality skill set. Also Jeff eventually perfected his shot.

Last edited:

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Why are white players exclusively compared to other white players? I've always wondered that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
so instead of being mediocre sometimes he's awesome and sometimes he's terrible. the fact remains, that he shoots 40%. most players have strong games and bad games. and that's what makes up their shooting percentage. if a guys shooting percentage is 40%, but sometimes he's on fire and sometimes he's not, it leads me to believe that the "not" games are more prevalent than the "on fire" games. i'm not saying this to bash janning, i just think your dismissal of his shooting percentage is comical.

It does make a difference. If he was a straight 40% shooter night in and night out, his impact on the team would not be that great. What I am saying is for a 40% shooter he has games where he can potentially win a game for your team when he gets hot shooting. Not many 40% shooters are like that in the NBA.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Janning should not be compared to Hornacek. It's not fair to Janning.

However, there are similarities. Jeff had outstanding composure on the court and a high basketball IQ when he arrived in Phoenix (which Janning seems to possess). Also both needed work on their outside shot. Where they differ is that Hornacek already had excellent passing and ball handling skills. This made Jeff special. I'm not sure if Janning will ever have this quality skill set. Also Jeff eventually perfected his shot.

Seriously? All I said was thats who he reminded me of. I didnt compare anything to anyone.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not get carried away. He has a long way to go to prove he's even in Hornacek's stratosphere.

I actually put those up there (and Horny's college stats) to show he was already an OK shooter coming out of college. He just had a single mechanical problem with his left hand. Once he resolved that he proved to be one of the most prolific shooting guards in NBA history. His numbers from the field are up there with Nash's.

And point is, Janning really isn't close to Horny and there's more than one mechanical problem with his shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously? All I said was thats who he reminded me of. I didnt compare anything to anyone.

Basically I was just reflecting upon my personal observation of Hornacek and Janning and why they would even be mentioned in the same conversation. There are reasons. This was not meant to carry on your thought process.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake