Suns sign Tyus Jones

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Those back to back to back “title contending seasons” of 2021-3 culminating with a backdoor sweep in the Finals, followed up by back to back 30 point home ass kickings to end the next two seasons beat the idea of ever getting a title out of me.

Now I just want to be entertained. Last season decidedly did NOT do that. Hoping a PG running the team can at least get us back to that place.

50-and-fade is not that hard to attain if you have a spendthrift owner, so you should be in good shape. It's true that last year's team was unwatchable, but I think that was partly (emphasis on "partly") because of how unrealistically high the expectations were. If the fan base comes in thinking that 53-29 will be a success, everyone has a good chance to be happy.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
but I think that was partly (emphasis on "partly") because of how unrealistically high the expectations were.
The caveat of partly is especially important, because unrealistic expectations were a large part of the problem, but the total lack of joy to last season was a huge problem as well. They never connected on the court, it always felt like the big 3 and the rest of the roster as the island of misfit toys. Hopefully we see a more cohesive group and more joy from the players themselves. Last year was a slog in every way.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those back to back to back “title contending seasons” of 2021-3 culminating with a backdoor sweep in the Finals, followed up by back to back 30 point home ass kickings to end the next two seasons beat the idea of ever getting a title out of me.

Now I just want to be entertained. Last season decidedly did NOT do that. Hoping a PG running the team can at least get us back to that place.
I couldn't care less about being entertained unless it's a foregone conclusion our team will likely suck. Ishbia seems like the kind of guy to keep that hope alive for years to come to at least compete for a title when possible.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
50-and-fade is not that hard to attain if you have a spendthrift owner, so you should be in good shape. It's true that last year's team was unwatchable, but I think that was partly (emphasis on "partly") because of how unrealistically high the expectations were. If the fan base comes in thinking that 53-29 will be a success, everyone has a good chance to be happy.

Yeah… I wouldn’t quibble with any of that too much.

But man… last year was really unwatchable. I came into the season cautiously optimistic, but wasn’t going gaga before the season. I noted to Ouchie how kind of boring they were even in pre-season. And that team’s attitude just stunk to high Heaven and played that way out on the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not overly concerned about getting 50 wins, but it should come if the Suns build the team correctly. I like what they have done thus far. What I have a problem with is the fade part.

IMO, the Suns Achilles heel has revolved around two issues, big man depth and point guard depth. Finally, they have addressed point guard depth. Now, if they can add another big man that can give them as much or more than Nurkic and Plumlee, I think they can contend now. They can't be vulnerable, like when Saric was injured in their recent Finals season. I'm hoping the Suns can add a FC before the trade deadline that can help the team.

Hopefully Bud can take advantage of the talent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned about getting 50 wins, but it should come if the Suns build the team correctly. I like what they have done thus far. What I have a problem with is the fade part.

IMO, the Suns Achilles heel has revolved around two issues, big man depth and point guard depth. Finally, they have addressed point guard depth. Now, if they can add another big man that can give them as much or more than Nurkic and Plumlee, I think they can contend now. They can't be vulnerable, like when Saric was injured in their recent Finals season. I'm hoping the Suns can add a FC before the trade deadline that can help the team.

Hopefully Bud can take advantage of the talent.
I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. A Nurkic/Plumlee big man combo and no other PF on the roster is still gonna be a major Achilles heel, keeping this team from being a legit title contender. But I think they’ve got potential to be the best of the pretenders and now have salary flexibility to try and make a move to shore that weak spot up during the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns greatest weakness as I see it is at FC as I mentioned.

If they plug that hole with a big man that can play the 4/5 without giving up too much, they should be as good as they can be. Whether that is enough remains to be seen, but they should be a lot better team than the last two seasons. I'm not counting on them winning a title, but anything can happen in the playoffs when a team is properly constructed and coached.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think people underestimate how much Jones will help. Not only is he a real starter-level point guard, but he is also the best point guard when it comes to making simple passes and not turning the ball over. Having him (and/or Morris) on the floor will allow Beal, Booker, and Durant to do what they do best on offense (score), and it will allow them to spend more energy on defense.

I don't know how well they will do defensively, but I expect them to be one of the top three offenses in the league. I really wish they had an athletic big on the roster, but I am still super-high on this team. I think Jones and Morris fix the two biggest issues they had last year.
I agree with this. The difference between 4th quarter excellence under Chris Paul and the failures of last year were basically about the Suns inability to execute in the fourth quarter under more intense defensive pressure (and the refs tendency to call fewer fouls at the end of a game). I am hoping--and I think reasonably so--that Tyus will be a big improvement in 4th quarter execution.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. A Nurkic/Plumlee big man combo and no other PF on the roster is still gonna be a major Achilles heel, keeping this team from being a legit title contender. But I think they’ve got potential to be the best of the pretenders and now have salary flexibility to try and make a move to shore that weak spot up during the season.
I think of KD as a PF. Bol as well. KD seems to play more like a modern stretch 4 I think.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's weird to me that 50-and-fade has become the benchmark of success for this franchise, when for decades it was a source of frustration.
I don’t consider it the benchmark for success. But I’m also capable of recognizing it’s not utter failure. The decade of sarver suck put some things into perspective.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We have a one year window with the Olympic vibes, new coaching momentum, Tyus here for one season and KD entering year 18. It’s now or never.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Not never, but maybe never for Book + KD (+ Beal). I'm sure KD and Book has even stronger bonds now after the olympics. Will be interesting to see if there is a spark there with Coach Bud, Beal, and the "new" roster. Getting PGs was really important, and obviously a coaching change was necessary. I agree about lack of size.

Basically, thumbs up to your post, gator.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a repeating theme.

I was thinking this last year but here I am yet again:bang:

Yeah, I think Mat Ishbia is building something here. I think he will always be pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
KD? KD, are you there man? Were you sleeping? Can you get in the game?

If so, it's now or never!

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Seems to be a repeating theme.

I was thinking this last year but here I am yet again:bang:
Last year, we were all too naive to believe that with our big-3 everything would come into right places naturally. Vogel may have had the sweet talk in job interviews that met with Ishbia and JJ's naivity. The offseason market signing of a bunch projects and sticking to them plus Goodwin as main sub (in favor over Camara) ultimately killed any hope of PO successes. In hindsight, in the Blazers' deal replacing Camara with Goodwin, not shipping Payne, reconsider the min market to find anything better than Yuta, Metu, etc who we shipped off later, the dynamics would have been different.
But this year, we are aware of reality now, as lessons from last year's failures learned.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last year, we were all too naive to believe that with our big-3 everything would come into right places naturally. Vogel may have had the sweet talk in job interviews that met with Ishbia and JJ's naivity. The offseason market signing of a bunch projects and sticking to them plus Goodwin as main sub (in favor over Camara) ultimately killed any hope of PO successes. In hindsight, in the Blazers' deal replacing Camara with Goodwin, not shipping Payne, reconsider the min market to find anything better than Yuta, Metu, etc who we shipped off later, the dynamics would have been different.
But this year, we are aware of reality now, as lessons from last year's failures learned.
Regardless it’s still a now or never theme. Age is setting in.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the last gasp for our big 3. The Suns got their PG, a good coach and we retooled the bench. I know Ishbia seemed to indicate that there is a 2 year window left (after that new penalties kick in like moving our draft pick to the end of the round). However, I am not sure they believe that.

Tyus move seems to indicate the Suns are going to see if missing a PG with a new coach really was the issue. If it ends in disaster? I don't think they play out the full 2 years. IMO the window closes after this season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the last gasp for our big 3. The Suns got their PG, a good coach and we retooled the bench. I know Ishbia seemed to indicate that there is a 2 year window left (after that new penalties kick in like moving our draft pick to the end of the round). However, I am not sure they believe that.

Tyus move seems to indicate the Suns are going to see if missing a PG with a new coach really was the issue. If it ends in disaster? I don't think they play out the full 2 years. IMO the window closes after this season.

I believe point guard was one of the Suns weaknesses last season, the other depth at the 4/5, but what does that say about the general manager's failure to address it then?

It feels like someone is giving Suns ownership advice this season, perhaps outside the organization. I like what the Suns are doing with their coaching, free agency, G-League team and scouting.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe point guard was one of the Suns weaknesses last season, the other depth at the 4/5, but what does that say about the general manager's failure to address it then?

It feels like someone is giving Suns ownership advice this season, perhaps outside the organization. I like what the Suns are doing with their coaching, free agency, G-League team and scouting.
I don’t think it’s a matter of not wanting to address the issue. It’s the ability to address the issue whether that be because of rules or available players. Nobody thought Jones would be available to them either or we would be searching for both positions still.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a matter of not wanting to address the issue. It’s the ability to address the issue whether that be because of rules or available players. Nobody thought Jones would be available to them either or we would be searching for both positions still.

This off season has been a lot better than last year, when the Suns ignored the point guard position and even traded Cam Payne.

IMO, there has been a change of thinking in regard to priorities.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I agree if it doesn't work.

But (heaven forbid) we win the title with this group? The window will not close after this season, that's for sure.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree if it doesn't work.

But (heaven forbid) we win the title with this group? The window will not close after this season, that's for sure.
I still think even in that case it's still 2 year window max if what Ishbia says is true and he is not willing for the Suns to be penalized during the draft. Then again, maybe he would change his tune and not care should multiple titles happen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still think even in that case it's still 2 year window max if what Ishbia says is true and he is not willing for the Suns to be penalized during the draft. Then again, maybe he would change his tune and not care should multiple titles happen.
2 year window I can agree with, I just don't think it's ONLY this year or bust. A lot depends on how we go out -- do we make it to the Western Conference Finals and a game 7? I'd say that a hell of a lot better than what happened last year, and I would consider it a success after Bud's first season as coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe Bradley Beal has value as an expiring contract, the third year. He has a player option in 2026-27. It's hard to imagine him turning $57,128,610 down.