Suns sign Tyus Jones

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe Bradley Beal has value as an expiring contract, the third year. He has a player option in 2026-27. It's hard to imagine him turning $57,128,610 down.
Is this Durant’s last contract year upcoming? If so, do we extend him for something a little more friendly so he retires here?

Seems like we will have Beal for two more seasons so do we extend Durant for two so they unload in the same year meaning we have a three year window with Bud at the helm. I’m good with that provided we are a playoff team for the next three years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this Durant’s last contract year upcoming? If so, do we extend him for something a little more friendly so he retires here?

Seems like we will have Beal for two more seasons so do we extend Durant for two so they unload in the same year meaning we have a three year window with Bud at the helm. I’m good with that provided we are a playoff team for the next three years.

The 2025-26 season is the last season Durant is under contract, amount $54,708,609. I expect the Suns may try to extend him.

If the Suns could trade Beal in the last year of his contract, I suspect they would, but that might prove to be a hard sell.

It would be great if Beal exceeded expectations under Bud.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The 2025-26 season is the last season Durant is under contract, amount $54,708,609. I expect the Suns may try to extend him.

If the Suns could trade Beal in the last year of his contract, I suspect they would, but that might prove to be a hard sell.

Beal is a no trade contract, he would be a fool to give up the money at his age:)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think they can do 1 year min since KD meets the 38 year old rule. Something like that. I wonder what KD wants though for years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they can do 1 year min since KD meets the 38 year old rule. Something like that. I wonder what KD wants though for years.
I would be shocked if he does any one year deals. I bet it's going to be LeBron type deal of a 2 year extension.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As I understand it, the over 38 rule takes the incentive out of the Suns giving Kevin Durant a 4-5 year contract when he turns 38 or turns 38 during the contract, so I think Durant gets more than a 1-year contract.

From Real GM:

CBA Encyclopedia: Over 38 Rule

by Danny Leroux

Nov 29, 2017 11:27 AM

How does the Over 38 Rule work?

Larry Coon’s excellent work at CBAFAQ on the prior CBA’s Over 36 Rule is a great place to start, but the main idea is that the rule treats “zero years” in contracts (defined by the rule but think of it as the final year of a four or five-year contract signed by someone 35 or older) as deferred compensation rather than salary. This pushes the agreed-to salary for that season on to the
earlier seasons of the contract.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the over 38 rule takes the incentive out of the Suns giving Kevin Durant a 4-5 year contract when he turns 38 or turns 38 during the contract, so I think Durant gets more than a 1-year contract.

From Real GM:

CBA Encyclopedia: Over 38 Rule

by Danny Leroux

Nov 29, 2017 11:27 AM

How does the Over 38 Rule work?

Larry Coon’s excellent work at CBAFAQ on the prior CBA’s Over 36 Rule is a great place to start, but the main idea is that the rule treats “zero years” in contracts (defined by the rule but think of it as the final year of a four or five-year contract signed by someone 35 or older) as deferred compensation rather than salary. This pushes the agreed-to salary for that season on to the
earlier seasons of the contract.

Yep, that's why I think he gets a similar deal to LeBron's last one.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extending Durant would be the worst decision in the history of the franchise.
I doubt it. There is always one team that will think he can be the last piece. If they blow it all up he can be moved.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extending Durant would be the worst decision in the history of the franchise.

From what I have read, extending Durant seems to be the Suns intent.

Of course, I was against the trade from the beginning because the Suns gave up way too many assets. I think we are along for the ride.

I'm beginning to fantasize about unloading Beal in the last year of his contract or sooner if possible. That would be a hard sell and he has a no trade clause.

What I think happens is the Suns trade Grayson Allen or another piece for a role playing forward/center before the trade deadline.

The Suns are a tiny team upfront, especially if the injury bug comes around.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, extending Durant seems to be the Suns intent.

Of course, I was against the trade from the beginning because the Suns gave up way too many assets. I think we are along for the ride.

I'm beginning to fantasize about unloading Beal in the last year of his contract or sooner if possible. That would be a hard sell and he has a no trade clause.

What I think happens is the Suns trade Grayson Allen or another piece for a role playing forward/center before the trade deadline.

The Suns are a tiny team upfront, especially if the injury bug comes around.
Unless other guys really step up shooting 3's I don't think that's an option. The Suns desperately need his 3 point shooting unless as a team they really emerge.The Suns didn't shoot enough of them last year. They lost Gordon. You can't shoot less this season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless other guys really step up shooting 3's I don't think that's an option. The Suns desperately need his 3 point shooting unless as a team they really emerge.The Suns didn't shoot enough of them last year. They lost Gordon. You can't shoot less this season.

Do they though? They added two more three point shooters with Tyus and Morris, Allen’s not likely to have one of the greatest 3 point shooting seasons ever again and there is dire need of athletic 3s and 4s who can defend on this team. Also, hopefully, PGs on the floor will open up KD to shoot more threes as well. Same as Book.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Grayson Allen a lot, but it all comes down to options and the Suns don't have many. This is why I was intrigued with the idea of cutting Damion Lee and signing Guerschon Yabusele to a minimum contract.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they though? They added two more three point shooters with Tyus and Morris, Allen’s not likely to have one of the greatest 3 point shooting seasons ever again and there is dire need of athletic 3s and 4s who can defend on this team. Also, hopefully, PGs on the floor will open up KD to shoot more threes as well. Same as Book.
That's why I said unless the other guys step up. They even with Gordon and Grayson didn't have enough. The guys we have are going to have exceed what we did last season or he isn't expendable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I said unless the other guys step up. They even with Gordon and Grayson didn't have enough. The guys we have are going to have exceed what we did last season or he isn't expendable.

I think the Suns desperately needed a point guard last season, but they had committed to going without a true one.

This led to a lot of isolation basketball, which needs to change and hopefully it will. The Suns have shooting, but it doesn't need to be an afterthought.

The players need to move and pass the ball on offense.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt it. There is always one team that will think he can be the last piece. If they blow it all up he can be moved.

Not with the way the CBA works now, no team contending is going to have 50 million in cap space for "the last piece".

If we extend him we are likely stuck with him to the end.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with the way the CBA works now, no team contending is going to have 50 million in cap space for "the last piece".

If we extend him we are likely stuck with him to the end.
You sure about that? I can think of at least one team that did it recently.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You sure about that? I can think of at least one team that did it recently.

Yeah, I feel pretty confident that if we extend Durant we're not going to be able to get off the contract without taking back some serious garbage.

Extending him right now would be crazy stupid. 100% pure risk, he's already signed for 2 more seasons and he's already old. There is zero reason to even consider it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel pretty confident that if we extend Durant we're not going to be able to get off the contract without taking back some serious garbage.

Extending him right now would be crazy stupid. 100% pure risk, he's already signed for 2 more seasons and he's already old. There is zero reason to even consider it.
Ishbia doesn't strike me as an owner that does something "just because". He was already talking about not letting our draft picks drop to the end of the round in 2 seasons because of the 2nd Apron.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ishbia doesn't strike me as an owner that does something "just because". He was already talking about not letting our draft picks drop to the end of the round in 2 seasons because of the 2nd Apron.

Okay, then all the more reason to not even consider extending Durant, doing so would make getting under the apron almost impossible for another 3 years.

Also, while I have a lot of good things to say about Ishbia, I can easily say that trading for Durant in the 1st place was something not at all thought out.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, then all the more reason to not even consider extending Durant, doing so would make getting under the apron almost impossible for another 3 years.

Also, while I have a lot of good things to say about Ishbia, I can easily say that trading for Durant in the 1st place was something not at all thought out.
If he honestly thought a Durant/Combo could bring a title he should go for it. It's not like someone else of Durant's caliber was just laying out there for the Suns to grab. Suns were regressing and headed in the wrong direction. 95% of the owners out there would have sat on their hands and done nothing. I am happy to have an owner who is willing to pull out all the stops even if it means he gets it wrong sometimes. Ishbia is going to be a high risk/high reward type owner during his tenure. When he gets it wrong it's going to hurt. Buckle up. He isn't going anywhere and he isn't changing his approach.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he honestly thought a Durant/Combo could bring a title he should go for it. It's not like someone else of Durant's caliber was just laying out there for the Suns to grab. Suns were regressing and headed in the wrong direction. 95% of the owners out there would have sat on their hands and done nothing. I am happy to have an owner who is willing to pull out all the stops even if it means he gets it wrong sometimes. Ishbia is going to be a high risk/high reward type owner during his tenure. When he gets it wrong it's going to hurt. Buckle up. He isn't going anywhere and he isn't changing his approach.
I sure hope you're wrong on your last point. I am still convinced that the KD trade was the dumbest move, by far, this organization has ever made. I don't want to re-hash the KD trade but if Ish can't stop from doing crap like that in the future, we're all going to wither and die on the fan vine.

I think Matt has done a great job since the KD trade and I'm impressed with what they brought in last year (even though it largely failed) and I've again been impressed by the additions this season. Maybe the new additions will fail just like last year's edition but I'm okay with that as long as he and his people learn from their mistakes.