Suns trade rumors

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marshall was traded, Suns took on 15 million of Okafor, Gortat's deal was only with 7, a straight up swap would not have worked with the Suns going over the cap. They had to load up salaries from our end and Marshall was obviously expendable given the guards we had on the roster.

The Wizards are the ones who waived him. But hey, they probably quickly checked in on the Suns forums to see if he was worth keeping. Those fools.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was Lopez or Gortat. Lopez was not going to develop coming off the bench behind Gortat. We obviously traded him before he developed fully, but he wasn't going to do that here. So, I agree with Eric, and I think the decision was reasonable. If someone says we should have kept Lopez over Gortat, meh, I can see that too.

I can see teams making some decisions based fan favorites. But that would have more to do with keeping a player. Most fans don't henpeck players like Lopez, Marshall, and the Morris brothers (go back and read some of last summer's posts) except on nitpicky message boards (and yes, I am one of them). I cannot think of a team getting rid of a mediocre or young player because fans didn't care about them that much.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Lopez and his comic book mentality didn't help his cause.

Growing up, or lack of it, is part of a player's evaluation . . . and should be.

At best, Robin Lopez will be a mediocre Center. Mediocre puts a team at
.500 and teams owe it to their fans to set their sights higher.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, but all of those deficiencies are Chalpin and Elindhom's fault because they were not nice to him on a message board, rattling his confidence. Then they caused him to traded by not appreciating him sufficiently. All that critisism forced the Wizards to waive him.
:biglaugh:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lopez and his comic book mentality didn't help his cause.

Growing up, or lack of it, is part of a player's evaluation . . . and should be.

At best, Robin Lopez will be a mediocre Center. Mediocre puts a team at
.500 and teams owe it to their fans to set their sights higher.

Not a big fan of Lopez but tell that to the Blazers' record.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

A possible All NBA first team talent and an additional All Star? There's plenty of talent on that roster. He played fairly well when he was paired with Amare and he's surrounded with a similar cast in Portland. He's better than I thought he'd ever become but I still don't know that he's anymore than an average center. He's outplaying Gortat this season and he's better than anything we have at the center position but I still prefer the potential of Miles and Alex.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A possible All NBA first team talent and an additional All Star? There's plenty of talent on that roster. He played fairly well when he was paired with Amare and he's surrounded with a similar cast in Portland. He's better than I thought he'd ever become but I still don't know that he's anymore than an average center. He's outplaying Gortat this season and he's better than anything we have at the center position but I still prefer the potential of Miles and Alex.

BC didn't seem to care who filled out the team. According to him, a team of LeBron, Durant, Paul, Bryant, and Lopez would be a .500 team. ;):p

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BC didn't seem to care who filled out the team. According to him, a team of LeBron, Durant, Paul, Bryant, and Lopez would be a .500 team. ;):p
That team would struggle. 4 guys absolutely eneed the ball in their hands to play basketball and then Lopez?

Sure it works in the Olympics and All Star games but when you put that many ball dominant players together for 82+ games a season, they would struggle and there would be a lot of locker room issues going on.
Who's coaching?
Ty Corbin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, but all of those deficiencies are Chalpin and Elindhom's fault because they were not nice to him on a message board, rattling his confidence. Then they caused him to traded by not appreciating him sufficiently. All that critisism forced the Wizards to waive him.

I find it interesting that his biggest supporter on this board doesn't bring up his +/-, even though that has been his favorite argument in the past.

Uh oh. Doesn't look good for the Morris brothers.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That team would struggle. 4 guys absolutely eneed the ball in their hands to play basketball and then Lopez?

Sure it works in the Olympics and All Star games but when you put that many ball dominant players together for 82+ games a season, they would struggle and there would be a lot of locker room issues going on.

Ha ha. Plus, I didn't tell you the bench was made up of Josh Childress, Darko Milicic, Kwame Brown, Luke Zeller, and Taylor Griffin.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luke Zeller!?! Whats he doing on the bench? One well known GM called him "one of the best shooters in the world."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lopez's problem has always been consistency. He completely disappears or plays like a 6 foot PG instead of a 7 foot center. He was suppose to become this rebounding defensive Juggernaut for us. Eleven out of his last 20 games he rebounded in single digits. 8 of those were less than 8 rebounds his blocks per game show something similar. The strange thing for me is the one area I think he has improved the most is scoring. However, if you remember at that time the Suns didn't want his brother because they thought Robin would clearly be the better defensive player.

However, Brook for example, only rebounds 2 less per game, blocks just as much and also has almost the identical defensive Opponent per 48 rating. So, did we underestimate Brook's defensive capabilities or overestimated Robin's? There were a ton of people on this very board saying they wanted Brook because Robin underachieved for his size in college and we had enough of big guy underachievers.

Last edited:

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is, indeed, a fan forum, but it is also, for the most part, a very intelligent fan forum. Not many people here are short-sighted. Most fans here understand that long-term goals are more important than MAYBE winning one playoff series this year.

lol! Go read your last sentence and look at the average age of the players producing. The long-term goals are closer than you realize. McDonough is falling into the same trap as limited thinking like this. The Suns needed a center. It's sad that McD blew it. The picks are rather worthless.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol! Go read your last sentence and look at the average age of the players producing. The long-term goals are closer than you realize. McDonough is falling into the same trap as limited thinking like this. The Suns needed a center. It's sad that McD blew it. The picks are rather worthless.

What centers were available that would help us protect the rim better and were realistically attainable?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pot, meet kettle

Who on earth do you believe you're impressing with your narcissistic tone???

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What are you talking about? The good ones don't grow on trees. Maybe you have forgotten the gluttony of mediocre centers that have walked through this organization. Plus, you are being very short sited. We have some young guys that look like they have some talent but we are not even close to the title contenders. That's :koolaid: talk. If anything we are probably developing the guys that might round out our roster but I don't see any superstars yet on this team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...but I don't see any superstars yet on this team.
I see one. Circumstances put him in the position to go for it . . . and he did, successfully.

Now we need a superstar in the low post to become a real contender. Even if Bledsoe decides to stay, which I would bet against happening, we would still need dominance in the low post to advance.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Greg Monroe. F/C
Channing Frye. PF
P.J. Tucker. F
Goran Dragic. G
Eric Bledsoe. PG

Miles Plumlee. C
Markieff Morris. PF
Marcus Morris. F
Gerald Green. G/F
Ish Smith. PG

Alex Len. C
Draft Pick. F
Archie Goodwin. G

Shavlik Randolph. PF
Dionte Christmas. G/F

Thoughts?? Greg Monroe is 23 and similar to Pau Gasol, in some ways. Lack of athleticism is concern but doubting Pistons match and the Suns would have 3 Picks to move up, or stash in Euro.

Last year Monroe averaged: PTS 16.0 REB 9.6 AST 3.5 STL 1.3 BLK .7 FG PCT .49 FT PCT .69

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I understand it Greg Monroe is a travesty on defense. Combine that with not exactly enticing athleticism and I'd pass. I am not saying he is a bad player, but I think his closer comparison would be Al Jefferson. For the cost I'd rather look elsewhere.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As I understand it Greg Monroe is a travesty on defense. Combine that with not exactly enticing athleticism and I'd pass. I am not saying he is a bad player, but I think his closer comparison would be Al Jefferson. For the cost I'd rather look elsewhere.

I think "travesty" is a little strong. Also, I think you're selling him a little short on the athleticism front. He isn't a horrible defender but he's not good enough at that to make up for the fact we'd have to re-work our offense to slide him in at the four. He'd replace Channing which is fine but I don't think you could play PJ at the same time and still give our guards enough room to penetrate.

If they'd take a trade of PJ, Frye and a couple of protected picks I'd jump at the deal. Obviously, given that they're anticipating matching a max offer sheet, that offer is nowhere near the ballpark. But I don't even know how we'd get into the ballpark with our salaries. All in all, I guess I'd look elsewhere too. I don't really want to pay max dollars for a power forward that is average or below on D.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score

Monroe would struggle in Pick n Roll and shot blocking area, but post defense doesn't seem to be lacking. He's not as bad as Kevin Love defensively but I'd be concerned with athleticism too. Not sure he's big enough of upgrade on offense either for cost but if the Suns could get prorated contract or contract that goes down per year, I could live with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake