Suns trade rumors

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would like to see us look at Ivan Johnson. He's a tough, hardnosed big man who can score inside.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tucker worked his way into the league. Ivan Johnson has worked his way out of it. Unless we're looking for someone to flip off the fans I dont see a good fit.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Word is Granger is probably going to be bought out. (Unless he decides to stick around Philly and put up some numbers going into free agency.)

I've been a huge Granger homer for years now and know that he has been a shell of his former self the past few years. But if he's available, make a run at him. Clips or Heat are probably the favorites but I'd love to see what Granger could do in this system and with the Suns trainers. Similar to the Grant Hill project in 07.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had any interest in Hill, I'm going to assume that the Lakers were being drama queens about the Gasol situation and didn't want to deal with PHX regarding Hill.

That, and a non-guaranteed 2nd rounder probably holds a little more value than one of the last picks in the 1st. (Guaranteed money.)

There were three teams reportedly interested in Hill including the Suns. As Hill was not traded, the cost must have been too high or other factors involved that made teams back off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that he bring anything to the table that the Suns need. Without looking it up, I don't think he ever averaged over 45% shooting or over 7 rebounds. At the very least, he never averaged much more than that, though he did have one unusually good season a year or two ago.

Can't shoot, no athleticism, not a good rebounder, and no real low post game. :sad:

EDIT:
If the Suns need some low-post scoring, they'd be better off seeing if Drew Gooden is healthy and available. He is far from anything that resembles a good, complete favor, but at lest he can score in the low post.

Davis' stats are not that bad and he plays center/ PF, a position of need. Also he just recently turned 28. I would want him to play center for the most part.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisgl01.html

In regard to Drew Gooden, is he even playing anymore? I wonder why he is still out there.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In regard to Drew Gooden, is he even playing anymore? I wonder why he is still out there.

He has the reputation of being a huge pain in the ass to deal with. I don't know whether that's true, but his numbers are always solid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan McDonough talked about the NBA trade deadline in an article written by Paul Cora at azcentral dated 2-21-14.

The Suns actively talked with teams but most of the rumors about potential Suns deals were false, McDonough said. He said some major stars were not as available as they were portrayed before a deadline that featured trades of three starters — Steve Blake, Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes.

McDonough said the Suns were never close on any deal. Part of the concern was how much a new player could even help with 29 games remaining and about eight possible practice dates.

He said their research shows that trade deadline moves do not usually have a high impact outside of Rasheed Wallace to Detroit and Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.

“We didn’t want to do anything to jeopardize what we have or our long-term future for a short-term bump,” McDonough said.

“We feel like we’ll be a major player in trades or free agency.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...t-nba-trade-deadline-no-trades.html#protected

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I would be nice if Alex Len could take his game to the next level and be that extra big we need against bruiser teams. I remember in '92 Oliver Miller really came on after the All Star break and was a real difference maker against the Sonics. I remember George Karl saying, "We had to trade for extra help the Suns found theirs on the end of the bench."

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Word is Granger is probably going to be bought out. (Unless he decides to stick around Philly and put up some numbers going into free agency.)

I've been a huge Granger homer for years now and know that he has been a shell of his former self the past few years. But if he's available, make a run at him. Clips or Heat are probably the favorites but I'd love to see what Granger could do in this system and with the Suns trainers. Similar to the Grant Hill project in 07.
Unfortunately I think it would be more similar to the Michael Redd project in 11 (and countless others) than Hill, who was still averaging close to 15 ppg the season prior to joining Suns.

Besides, all those players just go to Miami.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I would be nice if Alex Len could take his game to the next level and be that extra big we need against bruiser teams. I remember in '92 Oliver Miller really came on after the All Star break and was a real difference maker against the Sonics. I remember George Karl saying, "We had to trade for extra help the Suns found theirs on the end of the bench."

It would be nice if Hornacek would let Len play a few longer stretches so he could get into the flow of the games. Five minutes isn't enough to get well warmed up. One assumes Jeff knows this much but I am starting to wonder what is going on.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
It would be nice if Hornacek would let Len play a few longer stretches so he could get into the flow of the games. Five minutes isn't enough to get well warmed up. One assumes Jeff knows this much but I am starting to wonder what is going on.

Clearly a horrible coach.

In all seriousness, Len is raw and usually a negative on the court. But he's the only one on the team with real size. So he's getting a few minutes here and there. He's going to be a 2-3 year project most likely. This is why I was hoping for another big at the trade deadline.

I'm still a Len fan though. You can see flashes. If he can realize his potential he's going to be really, really good.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wonder if Jeff thinks Len is just not ready to be a regular rotation Center.

Or, as much as I admire Jeff and his early season accomplishments, if he is another Suns coach who doesn't think you need a Center, especially in today's NBA.

After all, there is no longer voting for a Center in the All Star game.

As most of you know, that sends chills up my spine.

But even more important than lacking a dependable Center, we lack a dependable rebounder, regardless of position. Recently, our most consistent rebounder has been PJ Tucker, our Small Forward.

That will never translate to strength in the NBA or the playoffs, no matter which series.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder if Jeff thinks Len is just not ready to be a regular rotation Center.

Or, as much as I admire Jeff and his early season accomplishments, if he is another Suns coach who doesn't think you need a Center, especially in today's NBA.

After all, there is no longer voting for a Center in the All Star game.

As most of you know, that sends chills up my spine.

But even more important than lacking a dependable Center, we lack a dependable rebounder, regardless of position. Recently, our most consistent rebounder has been PJ Tucker, our Small Forward.

That will never translate to strength in the NBA or the playoffs, no matter which series.

Plumlee is a very good rebounder, he just doesn't play long minutes. We're not a horrible rebounding team, we're just really light at the starting power forward spot. Every stat I've come across we're near the middle of the pack in rebounding. As for whether a poor rebounding team can win in the Playoffs, ask the Miami Heat. They are at or near the bottom in many rebounding ratings and the team (OKC) they handled pretty easily last night is at or near the top.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Len is getting the same treatment from Hornacek that Dragic got from Terry Porter.

Make a mistake and your coming out. Impossible to develop players like that. Dragic finally got consistent playing time under Gentry who let him make mistakes and still kept him in the game.

Hornacek seems to prefer going small so maybe that could be the real reason.

Agreed with BC867...unless you have the best player on the planet on your team, you gotta have rebounding and rim protectors on the team.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Len is getting the same treatment from Hornacek that Dragic got from Terry Porter.

Make a mistake and your coming out. Impossible to develop players like that. Dragic finally got consistent playing time under Gentry who let him make mistakes and still kept him in the game.

Hornacek seems to prefer going small so maybe that could be the real reason.

Agreed with BC867...unless you have the best player on the planet on your team, you gotta have rebounding and rim protectors on the team.

I haven't seen that in any way, shape or fashion. What leads you to such a sweeping conclusion? I've seen Len make several mistakes every time he steps on the court and he's certainly not being yanked the moment he makes his first error. I'm not sure why he's getting so few minutes but he's not exactly ready for prime time yet so what's the big deal?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not sure why he's getting so few minutes but he's not exactly ready for prime time yet so what's the big deal?
I think the big deal is that we have a need that he could grow into if given the chance. It is sitting there for him.

Once again, Jeff must know what is holding back Len's development, now that he appears healthy and capable of playing in a rotational role.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the big deal is that we have a need that he could grow into if given the chance. It is sitting there for him.

Once again, Jeff must know what is holding back Len's development, now that he appears healthy and capable of playing in a rotational role.

I feel the same way about Len but when I watch him play I don't get the feeling he's all that close to being an impact player. He has potential but right now we just give away points when he's on the floor. Hopefully the kid stays healthy and adds some strength this offseason and that pays off in extra court time next season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I feel the same way about Len but when I watch him play I don't get the feeling he's all that close to being an impact player. He has potential but right now we just give away points when he's on the floor. Hopefully the kid stays healthy and adds some strength this offseason and that pays off in extra court time next season.
Pretty much the same thing with Archie Goodwin, although we are not lacking for a "2" Guard as we are for a Center.

Archie is athletic. When he puts on some weight and develops an outside shot, he'll be a good one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As you say, Len is not close to being an impact player. Hornacek is giving him just enough minutes to keep his feet wet but that's about all Len can handle right now. Archie Goodwin is closer to an impact player than Len, and except for tonight, he has not been able to play regular minutes with the Suns. There are only so many minutes to go around if the Suns are playing to win, which they are. I think Hornacek has done a great job working in the bench and young players.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As you say, Len is not close to being an impact player. Hornacek is giving him just enough minutes to keep his feet wet but that's about all Len can handle right now. Archie Goodwin is closer to an impact player than Len, and except for tonight, he has not been able to play regular minutes with the Suns. There are only so many minutes to go around if the Suns are playing to win, which they are. I think Hornacek has done a great job working in the bench and young players.

Me too. The player who might help us the most with increased minutes is Plumlee but he's just not aggressive enough yet. I don't think he even played 20 minutes tonight and if he did, it was just barely. He matches up physically with other centers so much better than Frye and Markieff do but we just don't seem to play as well when he's out there unless he's going full bore.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't seen that in any way, shape or fashion. What leads you to such a sweeping conclusion? I've seen Len make several mistakes every time he steps on the court and he's certainly not being yanked the moment he makes his first error. I'm not sure why he's getting so few minutes but he's not exactly ready for prime time yet so what's the big deal?
No big deal but it would be nice to see him develop and see what we have in him.

And I don't mean it as a bad way that Horny takes him out so quick. We are a winning team and rookies typically don't play much minutes on winning teams. If Plumlee continues to suck then perhaps we can have a conversation about starting Len to see if it will make a difference.

Obviously when Porter did with Dragic, we weren't winning or playoff team so it was irrational.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I think they coaching staff and front office is just being cautious with Len and bringing him along very slowly. In part because of his health, and the other being that he may just not be ready to play bigger minutes. I have no problem with how they're playing him right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len needs summer league and a training camp. He needs to make sure he is completely healthy. The foot issue is delicate and I do believe that Len is under limited minutes in order for that bone to continue develop mass and strength.

It is also important with young players that they learn, but you cannot allow them to repeat the same mistakes so often that they become nearly unchangeable habits.

Len is so young for a big man. His body is still changing and filling out. It just takes time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake