Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The quote of the week for me was on ESPN radio, a random fan texted into the show and said about the Suns, "Who knew being 15 games above .500 would feel so bad?" LMAO! In previous seasons we would be celebrating this. Especially in Booker's early seasons.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That may have been the play where he acted like Sabots hit him in the head, without contact occurring? The video put up by NBA.com wouldn't play for me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That may have been the play where he acted like Sabots hit him in the head, without contact occurring? The video put up by NBA.com wouldn't play for me.
I'm sure it was. Our announcers laughing at what a flop it was I'm sure got the attention of the league.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The replacement for Lee could have been at the 4/5 or point guard position. Both positions could have used some help.
Do you guys not understand we can only pay the minimum, and our restrictions on picking up waived players that had salaries over the midlevel?

The only type of player they could have signed is a g-leaguer or some rando off the street. Neither would have gotten any playing time.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Do you guys not understand we can only pay the minimum, and our restrictions on picking up waived players that had salaries over the midlevel?

The only type of player they could have signed is a g-leaguer or some rando off the street. Neither would have gotten any playing time.
I expected him NOT to play all season. Without looking I assumed we had him locked up for multiple seasons and never thought anything about it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expected him NOT to play all season. Without looking I assumed we had him locked up for multiple seasons and never thought anything about it.
Well I expected him not to play if he was healthy. He just is not a good player. That said pretty much all the other guys we signed for the minimum weren't either.

I have no idea why you would think they would lock up a 13th man for multiple seasons, but that was never in consideration.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The quote of the week for me was on ESPN radio, a random fan texted into the show and said about the Suns, "Who knew being 15 games above .500 would feel so bad?" LMAO! In previous seasons we would be celebrating this. Especially in Booker's early seasons.
Hmm I disagree. Only in the bleak decade woukd we have celebrated a sub 50 win season. We would not have celebrated a 48-49 win season in the kj/chambers era, the Barkley era, ssol era.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By your logic, James Jones had don't nothing. Why bother keeping him at all In that case?

Just can't get over the free passes some of you give this front office.
I'm not giving them a free pass.

I think Ishbia has made some dumb moves - particularly overpaying in a big way for KD.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Hmm I disagree. Only in the bleak decade woukd we have celebrated a sub 50 win season. We would not have celebrated a 48-49 win season in the kj/chambers era, the Barkley era, ssol era.
Wasn't it our Dragic/Bledsoe/Plumlee/Green year where we had 48 wins and missed the playoffs? That stunk. That was a fun team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have plenty of bodies, but yes, we're short of talent at those spots. I don't know how we add that talent though under the new agreement and with so few movable assets to work with. And maybe this is just me but I don't think, in a player's league, that it's a good thing to cut a player because he's injured. I just wish we'd moved on from him prior to the injury.

Contracts are guaranteed. Injured plauers are waived all the time. We waived Isaiah Canaan, Frank Kaminsky, and someone else I can't recall at the moment under the JJ era. Injured players are also traded a lot, see Steven Adams as a recent example.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Minimum or not, there are players who have signed for the minimum that are more useful than Damien Lee pre-injury and any availability is better than what he gives now. Signing Saban Lee to a real contract spot would be better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have plenty of bodies, but yes, we're short of talent at those spots. I don't know how we add that talent though under the new agreement and with so few movable assets to work with. And maybe this is just me but I don't think, in a player's league, that it's a good thing to cut a player because he's injured. I just wish we'd moved on from him prior to the injury.

There were a number of players that were waived in time to be eligible for the rest of the season and the playoffs who were making vet minimum salaries.

Ish Smith and Robin Lopez were examples.

The Suns had one roster spot open and they could have waived Lee.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to say that had book played in more than 68 games and beal in more than 52 games that we likely win an additional 5-8 games this season. I know, I know, given who those two, kd, and Nurk are we actually had a relatively injury-okay season. But bear with me here . . . if we had an average season of injuries I think this team wins 54-57 games. Maybe even a couple more. But in exactly the same maddening fashion. It’s crazy to think as dysfunctional as this team can play they are really likely the equivalent of a strong playoff team-to-contender. Maybe the least consistent, most annoying, contender ever, but a really weird contender.

Makes me wonder if ishbia and team can identify a next level young wunderkind type coach (like a young riley or young Phil) what they could do. Someone who can design an offense to maximize the talents and hide the warts (turnovers) and motivate the squad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That doesn’t mean you get to shift the blame to James jones.
Why not? Why are you quick to not blame him at all? Curious to know your insider information. If he has nothing to do with anything, they why does he even have a job?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a number of players that were waived in time to be eligible for the rest of the season and the playoffs who were making vet minimum salaries.

Ish Smith and Robin Lopez were examples.

The Suns had one roster spot open and they could have waived Lee.
I know those were just examples but I really doubt either player would see the court here. I watched the Bucks enough this season to know that Robin is finished but I hadn't seen much of Ish the past couple years. So, looking at his B-Ref page, I was surprised to learn how poorly he's played this season.

There's a reason those two guys were both waived on minimum deals. Lopez and Smith have PER's this season below 7 and neither player has seen the court since early February. Would I rather have them than Wainright and IT who also have horrible PER's? Maybe but if so, it would be based on locker room value because I can't envision any of them even getting a chance to make an on-court impact.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know those were just examples but I really doubt either player would see the court here. I watched the Bucks enough this season to know that Robin is finished but I hadn't seen much of Ish the past couple years. So, looking at his B-Ref page, I was surprised to learn how poorly he's played this season.

There's a reason those two guys were both waived on minimum deals. Lopez and Smith have PER's this season below 7 and neither player has seen the court since early February. Would I rather have them than Wainright and IT who also have horrible PER's? Maybe but if so, it would be based on locker room value because I can't envision any of them even getting a chance to make an on-court impact.

There are a number of other players I could name, but it sounds like Damion Lee and Isaiah Thomas seem preferable options to you.

Players like Raul Neto, Frank Kaminsky and Meyers Leonard were also likely available to name only a few more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort