Suns vs. Celtics game thread

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
They gave up more than 100 points once again. The Suns can't do that, they are not good enough offensively to just exchange buckets and not get defensive stops.

The Celtics were another team that shot better than 50% against the Suns from behind and inside the arc.

During our last 3 games all opponents shot better than 50% from behind the arc. All of them shot over 50% from the field except the Lakers who were at "only" 49.4% when they put the game away.

D'Antoni is no improvement at all. They might be better to watch offensively now but the defense is flat out horrible even compared to Frank Johnsons' defense.
The bottom line are wins and they are not there.

The defense has been bad since Amare Stoudemire went down. Once again I think we have to wait until Amare and Zarko return before we can really assess the coaching. The Suns do have their lulls, but for the most part they are far more fun to watch under D'Antoni.

“That final play was drawn up and executed well, the bounce pass was just a little to hard.” - Stephon Marbury

Come on Steph. You're the leader. Even if that pass was a little to hard it went right through your hands. I don't like the team leader blaming the botched last play on the new guy. Even if Marbury does feel the pass was to hard it should just suck it up and except the blame.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny - I've been to a couple games this year - the Laker game at the beginning of the season and last night's and it really hit me like a ton of bricks last night - this team hasn't been good for a long time - that isn't to say I don't still love them - but man - I think about the Madhouse or AWA back in the early to mid-90s and that place used to just rock - of course we were championship contenders and often times favorites during that period - but AWA and the fans there are just dead.

I mean at the Laker game, Kobe's first on the road - people were screaming for him - and in a good way - there were almost as many if not more Laker fans there than Suns - that made me kind of ill - but last night just took the cake - first off - I miss the old opening with the spinning disco ball and Allan Parsons song - the new song and intro does nothing for me - I do like the circle sway we do - it's a decent young team thing - a nice addition - but onto other matters - is anyone else emabrassed for Cedric Ceballos - I mean I have to believe this guy looks on the court and just says to himself "I am a joke" - and then the apocalypse was upon us - at the end of the third the Zoo Crew (who I hate) came out with the Gorilla - first - I think that having ten guys doing the dunks just completely takes away from how special the Gorilla was - he doesn't even get each side of the stadium up on their feet anymore (and lord knows there not going to get up unless a t-shirt is being fired in their direction) - now the Gorilla is just another one of the guys it seems - and then it happened - he missed both dunks - okay an off night - but we still love the Gorilla - right? WRONG! The G*DDAMN Gorilla was booed LOUDLY! It was one of the most sacrilgeous things I had ever seen or heard at a Suns Game - very sad - very sad - to remember what we once were and what we have turned into - however - I have hope - I do believe in Jerry - and I do believe in most of the core of this team - and I do believe we will be back next year - but I just gotta wonder if it was because I was younger or what - are we ever gonna get those late 80s - early 90s days back?

Do you guys remember how beloved certain players were on those teams - Horny, KJ, Thunder, Big Daddy, Kurt Rambis (for pete's sake) - then Ced, Charles, Ainge and Oli - I real think that this team is just missing something so basic - something though that I think most teams are missing in this day and age of the NBA and that is character and identity- people you believe in - people who entertain you - people who you believe in - I mean hell - the last NBA champs were the Spurs - possibly the most characterless (and by this I don't mean being a good guy) team in the league - sorry for waxing nostalgic - but I just miss the good old days with Suns - bring 'em back Jerry - as much as you can!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think, even though he isn't the best player on the team, Amare Stoudemire can really bring back that nostalgic flare we used to have. Unfortunately, he just hasn't been here long enough yet. I'd say middle of next year might give him enough time to really put a stamp on the team.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
D'Antoni is no improvement at all. They might be better to watch offensively now but the defense is flat out horrible even compared to Frank Johnsons' defense.
The bottom line are wins and they are not there.

It's not the coach!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Do you guys remember how beloved certain players were on those teams - Horny, KJ, Thunder, Big Daddy, Kurt Rambis (for pete's sake) - then Ced, Charles, Ainge and Oli - I real think that this team is just missing something so basic - something though that I think most teams are missing in this day and age of the NBA and that is character and identity- people you believe in - people who entertain you - people who you believe in - I mean hell - the last NBA champs were the Spurs - possibly the most characterless (and by this I don't mean being a good guy) team in the league - sorry for waxing nostalgic - but I just miss the good old days with Suns - bring 'em back Jerry - as much as you can!

I definitely agree. But, you know what? The Colangelos KNOW there's a problem with the players. And, they usually will do something about that (to a fault sometimes).

Players like the ones you mentioned don't come around very often. Honestly, how many players in the league right now exude charisma that makes a city ge totally behind them? There aren't many.

One thing that I miss about the NBA is the demise of the 8th round draft pick. You always pulled for that guy. And, if he did make it... he became a favorite (ahem, Rambis).

Those types of players have no chance in today's game. And, there are PLENTY of guys out there who could compete and make a difference yet receive no chance due to the politics surrounding agents, camps, or whatever.

Utah is a good example of having "role" players that a city can get behind. I, mean, they have Raul Freakin' Lopez running the point. This guy would be the last pick in Little Johnny's 6th grade recess. Yet, he's out there bustin his ass and helping Utah to W's.

Kirilienko, Harpring, Raja Bell, Carlos Arroyo... are you kidding me? This is the type of team that I love. Jerry Sloan is a witch.

Ok... back to the Suns. Amare has IT. He plays hard for 48 minutes. He's only 21. And, he'll make a play that leaves you in awe. Build around him... hope we keep him for awhile... and pray that we get players in here that want to bust balls for 48 minutes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
I think that having ten guys doing the dunks just completely takes away from how special the Gorilla was in the league ...
That's a good point, cheesebeef (look out for mad cow).

ASU produced the current Gorilla, who paved the way for a bunch of gymnasts to become mascots in the NBA.

But he's never gotten the crowd into the game as much as our original Gorilla, Henry Rojas. He entertained with his creativity rather than athletic ability.

I wonder if Henry would be available to come back. :D