Suns vs Timberwolves

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And what do you consider stupid about that quote considering wikipedia is proven to be a better source than any established encyclopedia?

Well, if you have to ask that, I don't think anyone can really explain that to you. If I told my boss that I was working on my leadership skills by reading wiki, I don't think I would get another promotion for a while.
Even my little sister who was 10 at the time reacted to that quote by saying "That is so stupid," so I am not really sure how to explain the problem with that statement to you though.

I have no idea what your beef is with Amare but I wonder if you hear other NBA players interview because Amare's interviews sounded much more mature and educated than most NBA players even when he was a rookie and people tried to paint that picture of him being trouble.

Couple of things here:
1. Of course I hear other NBA players make stupid comments. Those players are idiots too. Just because your peers are equal idiots, does not mean that it is ok for you to be an idiot as well.
2. I have no "beef with Amare." I like how he handled himself during all those trade talks, and how he handled himself when he signed with the Knicks.
As the matter of fact, my entire post was about how Amare is not a schmuck like Beasley. It is possible to be stupid and still be a decent human being. I would much rather deal with an idiot who is a decent human being (Amare) than with an idiot who is also a schmuck (Beasley.)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well, if you have to ask that, I don't think anyone can really explain that to you. If I told my boss that I was working on my leadership skills by reading wiki, I don't think I would get another promotion for a while.
Even my little sister who was 10 at the time reacted to that quote by saying "That is so stupid," so I am not really sure how to explain the problem with that statement to you though.

Bet you would never say things that might sound weird to others when interviewed on television by random reporters asking whatever they want.

He said he read on wikipedia about leadership? Nothing wrong with that he never said that was the only thing he did.

Tell me how would you work on becoming a better leader, a better engineer or whatever? You would probably read about it and wikipedia is a good source that leads you to many many more scientific or historic sources.

I work in pretty big IT company that operates internationally with a few thousand big companies as customers and my boss uses wiki for just about anything so I doubt he would react at all if anyone said he read up on whatever on wiki.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
Bet you would never say things that might sound weird to others when interviewed on television by random reporters asking whatever they want.

I work in pretty big IT company that operates internationally with a few thousand big companies as customers and my boss uses wiki for just about anything so I doubt he would react at all if anyone said he read up on whatever on wiki.

Wikipedia is useful, but not really a reliable source, and that is why it is mocked sometimes. Literally anyone on the world, you, me, or anyone else can go on wikipedia and change an article entry.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wikipedia is useful, but not really a reliable source, and that is why it is mocked sometimes. Literally anyone on the world, you, me, or anyone else can go on wikipedia and change an article entry.

You are wrong.

It is not that easy to edit most articles and wikipedia constantly reviews all changes.

Universities are starting to accept wikipedia as a tool, the problem is you can't name it as your source because wikipedia is just a collection of sources in most cases so you use it to identify sources really and quote those sources.

There are many scientific studies that say wikipedia is more accurate than even the most expensive encyclopedias.

Errntknght

Reaction score

One of the strengths of Wikipedia is that it is more up to date on a good percentage of topics but the quality is uneven. Its true that anyone can change an artical but typically the article will be reverted back very rapidly if its more than a spelling correction. Eventually you find that you almost have to convince one of the principal creators of the existing article to make a substantial change.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Eventually you find that you almost have to convince one of the principal creators of the existing article to make a substantial change.

Yes, even when you know more about the topic than the principal authors. I've tried to correct errors in articles where I am expert in the field, only to have those corrections reverted. That's when I gave up on Wikipedia ever becoming authoritative. Using Wikipedia is like talking to a guy who "knows a lot" about a topic but won't admit when there's a detail he's unsure of.

Slinslin, universities have always welcomed Wikipedia as a resource to point you to real sources, but the site itself is no more valid as a source itself than it was in its infancy. As for your "many scientific studies" showing that WP is more accurate than an edited encyclopedia, I'd be curious to be directed to them, but offhand I would guess that the only way that is possible is if the encyclopedia is old and its information is outdated.

Edit: Read the discussion page for any moderately controversial WP article, and you'll get a sense of what priorities are in play. I guarantee that accuracy is not high on the list.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I essentially know the facts already, I will sneak a peak at Wikipedia to refresh my memory. However, using reliable sources is the only way to go to get information one can use with confidence.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I essentially know the facts already, I will sneak a peak at Wikipedia to refresh my memory. However, using reliable sources is the only way to go to get information one can use with confidence.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a pretty reliable guy so I just make up the stuff I need and I've found that works pretty well.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As WikiSteve says... I like it. :p