Suns Vs. Warriors

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Stephon will explode at one point, but the question is- is it going to be too late. I think they'll pull this one out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why does Penny only have 13 minutes in this game? Is FJ being forced to play Joe Johnson more minutes, or is he too stupid to recognize Penny is having a decent game?

edit: Doh, now he's in. But he better be in for longer than 4 minutes.

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama

BTW where the hell is Scott Williams? This seems like a game in which he could really help the Suns. He didn't play against Dallas either I think. Is he injured?

Joe Mama

You should buy a lottery ticket tonight, Joe. you're dead on again with your observation :)

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
Climb back and make the lead down to four. What does FJ do? Go small ball! We'll see what happens :)

edit: Didn't realize that Golden State also went small

Last edited:

DaFlogger

Registered
Reaction score
Suns can't shoot tonight plain and simple... Also the Warriors are controling the boards. This blows!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What a horrendous game management.

The last 5 minutes have to be further prove for lack of quality coaching.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Marbury has to realize from the opening tip that this team needed his energy, scoring, and leadership. Especially, with two key players out.

Instead, Marbury didn't wake up until it was too late.

Just another learning experience for him.

Is Marbury content with the teams' play? Seems so. No sense of urgency.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Joe Johnson has got to infuriate and perplex the Suns' coaching staff.

I, mean, how do you motivate this guy?

Half the time he looks like someone shot his dog. The other half he looks like someone spiked his Cheerios with sleeping pills.

Where's the damn fire?

Some guys just don't get it.

If he played as hard as Michael Finley, he'd be an All-Star in the making.

scotsman13

Reaction score
how can you say that about jj at least he plays defense. this lose can be hanged right on hardaway. i have never seen any player that plays or in penny's case doesnt play defense as bad as he does. if barbosa had gotten the time penny had i believe that we would have won this game, there is no doubt.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Shooting and poor offensive execution were the reason they lost this game, not the defense. Granted a couple stops and taking it to the basket down the stretch and they might have pulled it out.

The Suns only managed 83 points tonight. They give up an average of 92.

scotsman13

Reaction score
sirchaz the suns were out scored tonight. how do you insure that you score more then the team you are facing? you play defense. penny gave up more points then he scored in open lay up.

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
This team is too young not to have a quality coach.

This loss tonight, despite not having Marion and Z falls directly on Frank Johnson's shoulders.

After watching that, it was clear to me we were not properly prepared for this game.

I am very disapointed.

This team has the pieces to be one of the elite teams in the West. They just lack true leadership.

And it's not all Stephon's fault we all see him motivating and inspiring these guys to play better.

The peices are there we have what we all have asked for : a back up to Steph, solid play from our bench, and a servicable 3 headed center.

I love what FJ did last year but if we want to take another step closer to seeing championship banners hanging in AWA we need a better coach.

And we need one fast before this team loses its fire to win.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by scotsman13
this lose can be hanged right on hardaway. i have never seen any player that plays or in penny's case doesnt play defense as bad as he does. if barbosa had gotten the time penny had i believe that we would have won this game, there is no doubt.

Are you KIDDING me?? Who was our leading scorer in this game? Please, tell me. Because if you think Barbosa would have scored MORE points than Penny, you're smokin crack.

That is strictly an anti-Penny comment just to do it--it has no basis in the outcome of this game.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just got home from the game and here were my thoughts:

1) Jahidi White played horribly tonight. He couldn't make a layup. He also lost the ball or wasn't looking for the pass a couple of times that lead to turnovers that helped GS get our to a double digit lead in the 1st qtr. He also didn't box out Dampier at all.

2) Marbury was horrible tonight. He started off being too unselfish. He would drive to the basket and have a layup (although not always an easy layup, but he's made a living making tough layups) and instead of shooting he'd pass out to Casey/JJ/Penny for a 3 and they'd miss. Then when he tried to turn it on later he threw up a couple airballs and couldn't buy an outside shot.

3) Amare couldn't stay on the court. I don't know if the refs had it out for him or if was just making stupid fouls, but they kept calling him for fouls away from the ball. He did have a nice block on Jason Richardson, but he never really got into the game and the few attempts he had he really tried to do too much.

4) Jake is just all hustle and should've played more, especially since Jahidi wasn't playing well. The problem with Jake is that he doesn't have a lot of post-up offensive moves.

5) JJ & Casey didn't do a whole lot tonight offensively, but they sdidn't really hurt us either. They played ok defense, but no one was guarding the guys cutting along the baseline (a lot of this was when the Suns played a zone defense).

6) Penny played well offensively and had a few tipped passes that led to turnovers. His passing seemed decent. His defense wasn't great, but I don't think it hurt us that bad. Jason Richardson burned him a couple of times, but he burned everyone else too.

7) Barbosa played well in the 1st half and then he never got back into the game. He really deserved more time, especially as bad as Marbury was playing.

Overall it was a horrible game and the Suns played poorly all night.The refs didn't cause us to loose, but they still blew a couple of calls (or didn't make calls) that really pissed me off. The Suns were able to get the game close a couple of times and that was surprising with as poorly as they played. Penny was the only guy that had a good offensive night and that just won't get the Suns a victory.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by scotsman13
how can you say that about jj at least he plays defense. this lose can be hanged right on hardaway. i have never seen any player that plays or in penny's case doesnt play defense as bad as he does. if barbosa had gotten the time penny had i believe that we would have won this game, there is no doubt.

You must be the bizarro Matt_Whitlock because Hardaway was one of the only bright spots for the Suns tonight. His defense was not the problem tonight.

Joe

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually I left out that Scott Williams had a very good offensive game in very limited time.

FJ also seems to be making some improvements on his strategies. Jason Richardson was killing us by going to the hole and I kept commenting that they need to make him shoot outside and then FJ had them go to a zone defense and the Suns got back into the game.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
You must be the bizarro Matt_Whitlock because Hardaway was one of the only bright spots for the Suns tonight. His defense was not the problem tonight.

Joe

LOL

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eric Musselman is a moron.......here is his post-game quote:
WARRIORS HEAD COACH ERIC MUSSELMAN: “I thought we did a great job, energy wise, and on the glass tonight. Our best defensive effort of the season thus far, holding them to 36 percent from the field. I think their starters had a combined 44 points, which should be a season low for our opponent’s starters.”

“I thought we got major contributions from several different people. (Jason) Richardson again continues to make big shots and just as important as his shots are his defensive rebounds. (Nick) Van Exel hit some huge, huge big key shots for us down the stretch. I thought the starters did a phenomenal job of executing to start the game. The starters also had great shot selection.”

The Warriors defense had little to do with the Suns shooting percentage. The Suns had wide open shots pretty much all night long and just couldn't make them. The Suns also never really made an effort to take the ball inside and just settled for those outside shots.I guess you can credit the defense of the Warriors for packing the lane and giving the Suns outside shots that they missed (and would normally make more than 36% of).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I would give the Golden State Warriors plenty of credit for their defense. For the most part they did not let the Phoenix Suns get anything going inside the paint. Eric Dampier completely shut down White on the inside. Cliff Robinson didn't allow Amare Stoudemire to get going at all.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the most part they did not let the Phoenix Suns get anything going inside the paint. Eric Dampier completely shut down White on the inside. Cliff Robinson didn't allow Amare Stoudemire to get going at all.

One of the biggest losses that came when Zarko went down was that he is the only good interior passer on the team. For the most part, the Suns big guys either shoot or pass it back out again. They don't pass to cutters or hit someone one the weak side from the low post.

Most of the time, there is no one else inside to make offensive rebounds either.

Errntknght

Reaction score
George O' wrote: "One of the biggest losses that came when Zarko went down was that he is the only good interior passer on the team."

Well, just give Frank time and he'll cure Zarko of that bad habit learned over in Europe.

Voskuhl and Amare have shown that they can pass fairly well but they don't seem to be encouraged to do it. I don't think the team has run anything resembling a play where Amare was expected to pass the ball since he arrived. That's one of my key points whenever I'm telling why I think Frank has a pathetic offensive scheme for the team. A guy who distorts the defense as soon as he touches the ball like Amare does, is half wasted if you don't use him to get good shots for his teamates.