Team Structure Analysis

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nash, Marion and Stoudemire were good enough to win multiple rings and were only stopped by some very unfortunate events.
Amar'e and Marion at Power Forward and Small Forward, along with Nash and a good role-playing Center, yup.

Moving Amar'e to Center and Marion to Power Forward . . . that was the unfortunate event that kept us from becoming an elite team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amar'e and Marion at Power Forward and Small Forward, along with Nash and a good role-playing Center, yup.

Moving Amar'e to Center and Marion to Power Forward . . . that was the unfortunate event that kept us from becoming an elite team.

good god, that team of

Nash
JJ
Marion
Amare
KT

would have just KILLED people. With a back-court of Raja and Barbs off the bench? That's what BC tried to set up... until Sarver and Amare's knee screwed it all up.

seriously... that team up there... that team had the makings of a dynasty.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If you want to attribute it to a single person I would have to think that Rex Chapman would be the one responsible for many good picks.

I have heard people giving Rex props for scouting before - of course, it might have been you on here in times past - but I've never heard any specifics.

As far as Percudani is concerned I've heard him mentioned as being responsible for Marjele, Nash, Finley, Marion, Person and Ceballos - that I recall off the top of my head.
Recently read an old article from 1994 (I think) detailing how Percudani held out for Marjele when nobody else wanted him. You might recall the team was jeered, booed (and I could even say barracked) when that pick was announced.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia about Chapman:
Chapman would play 53 games during the 1999–2000 season, but he became re-injured and decided to retire from the NBA then.
After retiring from active play Chapman remained with the Suns, first as a scout and later as Director of Basketball Operations

It appears he overlapped with Percudani for 00-01 season and then stayed on so he may well have responsible for Amare and Barbosa, but then he gets credit for Casey J. and Zarko C., too - Casey, because of who was passed on to get him, stands out as a particularly horrible pick. Zarko was unfortunate but he looked frail as all get out and that might have determined why his injury shut him down as far as the NBA is concerned.

Imagine if we'd chosen Tayshun Prince instead of Casey - and he was the choice of the people on here who followed the college game. Carlos Boozer was still available too but heck, half the league passed on him after we chose CJ. Personally, I wanted Gadzurich but I have to plead extenuating circumstances as I don't know jack about college ball.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We won more than 50 games most of those years so I think you only validated the thread and nothing else.
Uh..no not really.

50+ wins with no chamionship appearances.

I would much rather have a lot of 40+ win seasons with multiple championship titles than 50 or 60+ wins and NOTHING to show for it.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
good god, that team of

Nash
JJ
Marion
Amare
KT

would have just KILLED people. With a back-court of Raja and Barbs off the bench? That's what BC tried to set up... until Sarver and Amare's knee screwed it all up.

BC had nothing to do with KT.

BC is also responsible for some of the worst moves in Suns history.

Googs trade
Signing Q instead of a center
Trading the #7 pick for just a future pick just so he could overpay Q more

BC set up the whole KT fiasco by overpaying Quentin Richardson.

He has not done a good job with the Raptors either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
good god, that team of

Nash
JJ
Marion
Amare
KT

DAntoni was never happy with that lineup. He would not give KT consistent burn at center. He kept sliding Amare into the center spot and Marion to pf. He did it even when KT was healthy and producing. There was one playoff series against the Spurs when KT was performing really well, and he would just not put him in. Frustrating. The guy was one of the most solid, fundamental, interior defenders I have ever seen. Be MD did not like defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imagine if we'd chosen Tayshun Prince instead of Casey - and he was the choice of the people on here who followed the college game. Carlos Boozer was still available too but heck, half the league passed on him after we chose CJ. Personally, I wanted Gadzurich but I have to plead extenuating circumstances as I don't know jack about college ball.

I wanted Boozer.

Errntknght

Reaction score

Googs trade

At the time and to this day I believe that it was signing Q that cost us Joe Johnson. Signing him was 'insurance' against losing JJ, but, of course, we paid him more than we were offering JJ. It was bad enough we were lowballing Joe, but then paying a lesser player more that we were offering him was the ultimate insult.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Nash
JJ
Marion
Amare
KT

Phoenix never had the chance to use this lineup because JJ bolted. I'm not sure how effective it would've been in any event. Only two real 3-point threats (three if you count Matrix) to help spread the floor for Amare. D'Antoni would've loathed to use it. It might've been seen had the Spurs gotten over the Mavs in the Western Semi's in '06, but even then it would've taken D'Antoni a game to figure it out, much like in '07.

Nash
Bell
JJ
Matrix
Amare

Barbosa/Tim Thomas/KT

This is the lineup that more than likely would've started every game in the '06 playoffs. And this lineup would've handled the Lakers and Clippers in less than 14 games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC had nothing to do with KT.

oh really? he was the GM at the time genius. He got fired halfway through the next season.

Googs trade

yup. that was a bad one.

what C could we have gotten for 9 million dollars a year?

and when the Bulls started 0-13 the next year, that pick looked like gold... but it wasn't the greatest idea.

BC set up the whole KT fiasco by overpaying Quentin Richardson.

huh? how is that possible?

He has not done a good job with the Raptors either.[/QUOTE]

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. Almost always, bigs over smalls. If a team has too many bigs they can always trade one for what they want.

I disagree. I think the Suns do it the right way. You can fit more little guys in the Clown Car.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They both sit in the front seat with Babby sitting on Blanks lap I suppose with both of them coming out and saying

"We need to get more wings, and more production from our wing players."

Yea you dum f**k we need more wing players because we only have like what 300?

chickenhead

Reaction score
I think the Suns are just transaction-happy, period. I actually don't think they undervalue draft picks: I think they undervalue everything except Nash and possibly Hill. Which paradoxically (or not, actually) leads to them overpaying to replace the pieces they've undervalued.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake