Terry Porter Is The Suns Favorite & Draft News

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridging the news gap

Developments are scarce these days as everyone waits through a meticulous Suns coaching search for scraps of news.

Suns GM Steve Kerr has not spoken much about the process in the past two weeks but used his suns.com blog this week to address the search ("Our focus with the next coach will be at the defensive end of the floor," Kerr wrote), Mike D'Antoni ("The stress of the series loss combined with the changes I thought we needed for next year made it an uncomfortable situation for Mike," he wrote), Amare Stoudemire ("He has to accept coaching," he wrote) and other topics in answering fans' questions. The link is http://suns.marqui.com/blog....

As for the process, it may be frustrating for people to wait for a result but there really is no need to rush such a huge decision, unless a common favorite emerges with Chicago and Phoenix. The Bulls started the process earlier and don't appear to be much deeper into it. The best thing about all the time (these interviews go for hours) Kerr and David Griffin are spending with potential head coaches and assistants is how much they will wind up learning about their team. They are getting dozens of outside perspectives on how to better the Suns from interviews and the conversations they have in researching those candidates.

In NBA circles and among Suns fans, Terry Porter seems to be a common prediction to land the Phoenix job. He does fit a lot of the Suns' preferences with head coach experience (it doesn't hurt that he left on a raw deal instead of an outright bad job), respect from his playing days (tough player with two NBA Finals trips), current coaching experience on a postseason survivor as Detroit's top assistant and a good relationship with Kerr as former San Antonio teammates.

Utah assistant Tyrone Corbin and Houston lead assistant Elston Turner also could be fits and The East Valley Tribune reported Lakers assistant Brian Shaw interviewed with Phoenix 10 days ago. Shaw is frequently projected by people in the league as a budding coach and great communicator. Between that, a known interest from the Suns and Shaw's tight relationship with Shaquille O'Neal, the report is likely true but it hasn't been confirmed here by the Suns or Shaw's agent, who has declined comment since the search began. Shaw also understandably has declined comment because of his team's ongoing postseason.

As for draft stuff, the plan here was to make an early guess on who the Suns will pick. But I see that my idea to go with JaVale McGee is not a novel concept with ardent fans. Lots of you have been on this wave too and why not? The Suns are going to need size off the bench if they wind up going with Boris Diaw as a starting small forward to accentuate what the coaches thought was his future position and to reduce the wear on Grant Hill by cutting back his minutes.

McGee is an athletic but thin big man at 7 feet and 237 pounds. He played two years at Nevada after growing up in Flint, Mich., and is the son of former USC great Pam McGee and former Illinois star George Montgomery. The club's antennas have been up on this guy's passionate play for a while with his shot-blocking potential and ability to run the floor. It's just a guess but not a random pick either. There will be lots of movement over the next four weeks so he could wind up in the lottery area by then.

The Suns, picking 15th and 48th in the June 26 draft, will start working out draft prospects in Phoenix next week. This year, six prospects can come in at a time rather than four. You can also expect to seem some of those multi-team workouts, like one that Phoenix and other Western Conference teams are planning to have in the Bay Area.

The Orlando Pre-Draft Camp began today. The first participation list showed which 15 elite prospects were invited there only to take a physical and to be tested for skills, strength and agility. Arizona's Chase Budinger did not make that cut so didn't leave himself to scrutiny by going at all. Of those who are listed to actually play, it doesn't look like any would be considered at Phoenix's 15th spot. Ty Lawson is probably the top prospect playing but his size and inconsistent shot make him a reach for the middle of the first round. Some familiar Pac-10 names like USC's Davon Jefferson and Cal's DeVon Hardin were listed as participating players and could help themselves to become first-round choices.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/24418l

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard that Porter is indeed the favorite and the Suns are just waiting until the Pistons are out of the playoffs to make it official..

I gotta say, I always liked Porter as a coach and really thought he got a bum deal in Milwaukee.. I would be very happy if is our next coach..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you one hundred ASFN dollars that the Suns make a trade on draft day.

More specifically. The #15 pick will not be included in any trade, unless they receive a 1st rounder this year back in the trade.

In other words, the Suns will draft and keep at least 1 first rounder this year.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More specifically. The #15 pick will not be included in any trade, unless they receive a 1st rounder this year back in the trade.

In other words, the Suns will draft and keep at least 1 first rounder this year.
true

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

A trade with NJ of #15 and #48 for #21 and #40 plus a future pick is not out of the questions if they think they can get their guy anyway.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash today were saying the latest rumor has the Suns picking Doug Collins. I'd be very disapponted it they went that road.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash today were saying the latest rumor has the Suns picking Doug Collins. I'd be very disapponted it they went that road.

Actually, they were saying it was the Bulls picking Collins; however, its still just a rumor

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They could always trade down. The 15th pick will make close to $3M over the first two guaranteed years. With the Suns over LT, that's a $6M cost for the first two seasons. By comparison, a late first round pick will cost about half as much. And in return for trading down, the Suns can obtain a conditional second round pick like the one they got in the JR trade. Plus cash considerations.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Will. Not. Happen.

Sorry if Im just the least bit cynical.

I can hear it now:

"We didn't see a guy that we thought could help us now and we want to win a championship now. Thats why we got guys like Grant Hill and Shaquille Oneal. We made this move to keep this core together."

Or

"A healthy Grant Hill is our first round draft pick".

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
Sorry if Im just the least bit cynical.

I can hear it now:

We didn't see a guy that we thought could help us now and we want to win a championship now. Thats why we got guys like Grant Hill and Shaquille Oneal. We made this move to keep this core together."

Or

"A healthy Grant Hill is our first round draft pick".

Or "everyone we were interested in was gone by 15, so we traded down."

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Or "everyone we were interested in was gone by 15, so we traded down."

If it gets them a 30 to 40 pick, it might make sense. Rush is generally listed in the 20's as is CDR and both looke like reasonable picks but reaches at #15.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Wow, this thread took a lame turn.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The re-birth of the "Shaw-Shaq Redemption.....?":)
I'm still hoping it's Terry Porter along with a mix of experience & fresh young minds as assistants.
IMO Sarver/Kerr will be picking #15. They must recognize the age and wear-n-tear that has become our roster.
There are a few ASFN members that might take to the streets with picket signs,tiki torches and face paint if the SUNS choose not to use the draft yet again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The re-birth of the "Shaw-Shaq Redemption.....?":)

You need extra credit for this one. :thumbup:

I'm still hoping it's Terry Porter along with a mix of experience & fresh young minds as assistants.
IMO Sarver/Kerr will be picking #15. They must recognize the age and wear-n-tear that has become our roster.
There are a few ASFN members that might take to the streets with picket signs,tiki torches and face paint if the SUNS choose not to use the draft yet again.

If the Suns used the 15th pick in a trade that actually betters the team I would not mind so much unless it relates to cost cutting. Also I wonder if the Suns would consider trading LB for a pick or player? Maybe even some package deal that would involve swapping picks.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Terry Porter as Head Coach and Paul Silas as Sr. Asst. Coach.

That's hope for broadening the Suns approach and developing well rounded skills in Suns young and old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake