Texas vs ASU in San Diego?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
\

Not likely, since ASU could only beat one team with a winning record...ASU's record was puffed up with Weak schools.

No offense, but Illinois didn't exactly play a murderous schedule either.

Granted, they did beat Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State, which is two more than what ASU beat, but if we're comparing the two, I do think (unbiasedly) that Arizona State would have beaten Wisconsin and Penn State, but lost to Ohio State and Penn State. Same breath, I also think USC and a Dennis Dixon led Oregon beats Illinois too.. So we're back to square zero.

But while we're looking at schedules, let's not overrate the Big 10 too much..

Iowa and Minnesota are trash..

Northwestern lost to Duke... DUKE for Gods Sake.. To me, that's more embarrassing than Michigan losing to Appalachian State.

Indiana's had a nice year, especially in light of the death of Terry Hoeppner, but realistically speaking do they beat Oregon State, Cal or UCLA? I don't think they do. Same goes for Michigan State.

That was their Big 10 schedule outside of the three mentioned games and lost to Michigan.

Non-Conference.. Let's look at these gems..

Missouri.. Lost.

Syracuse??

Western Illinois??

Ball State? Ok.. They ARE going to a bowl game this year, but you're huffing something a little stronger than Elmer's Glue if you think ASU wouldn't have worked them too.

Again, I'm not disputing ASU gagged against Oregon and USC. Nor am I disputing the strength of their schedule, but let's not act as though Illinois played this world beating schedule.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, that's not what I'm saying. Re-read my post. I never alluded to Kansas instead of ASU. I said I was upset about Illinois getting in. They don't deserve it, and are only there because of the outdated traditions of the Rose Bowl folks. Mizzou should be in the Rose Bowl. 3 teams from a conference be damned.

That said KU sucks, plain and simple. They have played NO ONE except Mizzou and got beat. The KU football program is a joke, as it has been for the last decade.

To play the 109th strength of schedule out of 119 teams, get beat by the team with the 26th ranked strength of schedule, and then JUMP THAT TEAM, is a joke. OU would have rolled KU just like they rolled Mizzou. KU just benefited from losing to the only real team they played all year.

ASU doesn't deserve it either. They caught lightning in a bottle this year, and are not deserving to be mentioned with the top teams. ASU would lose to all of the BCS teams except KU and Hawaii in my opinion.

Playing Texas in the Holiday Bowl is right where ASU should be, or playing Illinois.

KU should beat a high school JV team before they start squawking. If you look at their season objectively, they have done nothing.

Oh, I'm admittedly biased, but saying things like "JV team" doesn't make a very objective statement. Objectively would be to not judge KUs team this year by the schools history. That's one of the problems with college football is the front of the jersey counts for too much.

This year, over all others, it's obvious that any team, even those considered good ones can lose to anyone. USC vs. Stanford, LSU vs. Kentucky/Arkansas, OU vs. COL and so on. Well people say USC had injuries, OU had injuries. KU lost to the only team they were supposed to lose to (according to most) and we were out a starting CB and S against that offense?!? Nobody knows this because, hell, it's KU. They suck without having to watch them.

Yes, our schedule was weak, but the jump in performance was just as unexpected by KU when that schedule was made a couple of years ago. Those teams that drag down our SOS were good when we set up the dates and we can't buy out the games like top notch school, cause after all, we're KU we suck anyways.

There is no "objectivity" in college football. To penalize us for playing the game the way we have to to succeed is just sour apples. Fix the system first.

Edit: BTW, if you can post a link to substatiate the "109 out of 119" ranking for me I'd appreciate it. Because as far as I know it's come out of the ether.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
It was in the EVT and it's not hard to believe when you guys only played one team that even received votes in the polls.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was in the EVT and it's not hard to believe when you guys only played one team that even received votes in the polls.

No, show me the computer rankings. Not some non-sourced reporter. I've seen none. Does anyone believe you can play in a top tier conference and have a schedule ranking that low? It's impossible. 109 is a farce.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Um, yes I believe it when you guys only played one of the rest of the top 5 in your conference. You guys might as well have been in the WAC, not playing Oklahoma, Texas or Texas Tech. Your best win was against a team that finished 7-5. Your out of conference opponents had a record of 17-31 and overall record of 63-82, including missouri. #109 is very believable, but if it's not true, it's easily the worst out of any school in the running for a BCS bowl. How about you prove that it isn't #109 because I have no idea where to get those rankings myself.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should be a very fun game to watch was hoping for a better bowl game but great season for asu. Lets hope the sundevils can end the season off with a bowl victory :)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
HOOK EM' BABY!
I don't really know who wins this one. ASU surprised many this year, but they lost to the teams they should have. UT had a down year IMO.....very sloppy and you could see the a&m loss coming with how poorly they had been executing all year. texas is very talented, but they are very inconsistent. good luck ASU fans.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
HOOK EM' BABY!
I don't really know who wins this one. ASU surprised many this year, but they lost to the teams they should have. UT had a down year IMO.....very sloppy and you could see the a&m loss coming with how poorly they had been executing all year. texas is very talented, but they are very inconsistent. good luck ASU fans.

I don't know who should win this game, either...but that's a great reason to watch. I hope this Holiday Bowl is as good as some of the ones in the past. :)

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
HOOK EM' BABY!

I think that while Texas may be talented they just don't have any experience because most of their current players were sitting on the bench while the 16 future NFL players were starting. Happens to most teams with that kind of talent. As I have said before Bob Stoops wasn't nearly as smart the two years after 4 of 5 three year offensive line starters used up their eligibility.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05