That Smarts

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Bye, Bye Bob Brenly. He is done for and i bet it happens in the next few days.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should all be thankful that the Expos were never contracted. Otherwise, we'd easily have the worst team in MLB this year.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
We should all be thankful that the Expos were never contracted. Otherwise, we'd easily have the worst team in MLB this year.

Three worst records in baseball - all NL by the way - after today's games:

Montreal 25-48 .342
Arizona 27-48 .360
Colorado 28-46 .378

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well dang it - if we're going to do it - Let's DO it! Let's get that #1 draft pick!

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
who does everybody think is going to replace brenly?

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
offset said:
who does everybody think is going to replace brenly?

I hope Pedrique gets the job, but I have a feeling that Yount might be selected; it's hard to tell which way management will go with it, if BB is even replaced at all this season.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
How did it get so bad, so fast?

I don't think this is what management had in mind.

It also ticks me off seeing Overbay, Spivey, and Barajas tearing it up and having fun. Actually, I'm happy for them. Sad to see our minor league system shilled out.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IndyDback said:
it's hard to tell which way management will go with it,

They will make the move that makes the most economical sense to them.

By the way, did you realize that with the sweep of the D'Backs the Tigers now have 35 wins on the season. The Tigers did not get win 35 last year until September 2nd.

Last edited:

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Brenly should not be fired. He was given a very bad hand by Colangelo and Garagiola(sorry if misspelled). They wrecked this team by getting rid of the best pitching staff in the country, and counting on a rapid development of adolescents to save their hides. If you want the best you pay for the best. Empty seats will not pay your bills. They make so many foolish mistakes that don't even have anything to do with playing ball.....for instance, opening the roof every night .....do you have any idea how much it costs to cool that building and then let all the cold air out and then re-cool it? That in itself ought to pay for a couple of good ball players. Then, where are all of the attractions that these ball parks owned by the C's now. The new Coyotes arena has gotten a lot of singers in town. More lost revenue. Colangelo is spreading himself too thin, but then he knows that. He is selling off the investments that at one time thrived in this town, and if he had kept things small and not spread himself so thin we would at least have a winner in town. I mean look at how the Suns have done last year and the DBacks are doing this year. We are at the bottom of the totem pole, and we the consumer are being stiffed. America West Arena, BOB, the Dodge theater and now a major housing development in Buckeye are just too much for a man in his mid sixties to have his hands into.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
minercon said:
Actually, Brenly should not be fired. He was given a very bad hand by Colangelo and Garagiola(sorry if misspelled).

In a perfect world, Kniffin & Joe Jr are shown the door instead of Brenly, but BB will end up taking the fall if a move is made. I haven't been very happy with some of BB's decisions this season, but he is probably doing the best with what he was dealt by the head honchos.

Given the way JC normally operates when faced with an underperforming team, it's surprising that he is showing restraint in dealing with the D'Backs.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Indy, You are correct with your statement about the way Colangelo has dealt previously with underperforming teams...however, most of the DBACKs are clean cut performers while the Sun's players have had real iffy backgrounds. One does not like to trade away upstanding citizens unless they are rebuilding...unfortunately, if we had only kept a real winner in town instead of dismantling them, we would be singing praises of Brenly.

AZZenny

Reaction score
While I'm the first to blame the GM, fact is Brenly will go before anyone looks JoeBlow's direction, and it is time. I feel badly for BB because he has been given a rag-bag team - it's like your old auntie GM's attic - there's a hall of famer in there somewhere, but it's buried in a lot of cheap old junk.

But to give BB another vote of confidence after the last month would be cruel, IMO, like pulling the wings off flies. The team can't implode any worse, I don't think (but then, who knows what depths they can sink to?) I have come to agree that Pedrique or maybe Wally Backman would be interesting (Backman's team would be fun to watch), though I suspect if he accepts, it will be Yount, and I'm OK with that. He is very well-respected by all levels of players, and he has counselled the org. to be more patient with the youngsters - that's a start. He will also beat dee-fense into their heads, and probably patience at the plate. All good things.

But the heart of the problem won't be fixed until A) we get a GM who can think clearly within a tight budget - they do exist - and B)ownership which stops insisting the team rebuild and compete simultaneously. Give us a new 4-5 year plan, and we can live with it - but give us something resembling baseball to watch even if we aren't winning. Show us glimmers of potential, and half-baked mediocre retreads don't do that.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Give us a new 4-5 year plan, and we can live with it - but give us something resembling baseball to watch even if we aren't winning. Show us glimmers of potential, and half-baked mediocre retreads don't do that.

I don't think management realizes that a majority of the fans could deal with a losing club, as long as it was part of a rebuilding process, and not the Retread'backs we have right now.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the big C really wants to make a chage then both the GM and the manager have to go. Brenly needs to manage a veteran team, ie the problems he had with Overbay, Spivey, Durazo etc. I think the 3rd base coach will be chosen to finish the year and then they will look for a new manager.

The GM is the one to really blame for all the problems. He is a very poor judge of pithcing as the last five or six moves for veteran pitchers has been a complete failure. I could accept what has gone on this year if the pitchers were all rookies but Fossum, Sparks, Reynolds, Service and the others are washed up veterans.

I would think that Finley and Bautista will be traded by the end of July. I would also hope that Gonzo gets his operation done by the end of July. And we can start to look forward to next year.

Az240z

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Courtesy of this morning's paper:

Bottoming out

Low-water marks recorded by the Diamondbacks in Sunday's loss at Detroit:

• Franchise-record nine-game losing streak.

• First-ever winless trip (0-6).

• Third walk-off home run in past four games.

• 48th loss ties Montreal for major league worst.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens to attendance. This town has never been kind to losers.

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It should be OK for tonight with RJ going for 4,000....er wait a minute, they switched it at the last minute to Tuesday night after a butt load of tickets were sold. Well, any way, I agree with AJ's point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05