The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, KB haters, be sure to add this to your file labelled "NBA Players hate Kobe and dont want to play with him" folder.

"Me and Kobe have talked a lot this summer about getting me here," O'Neal says. "We've been on each other since we were 15, playing AAU basketball, adidas All-American Camp, Nike All-American Camp. It's been a long relationship. We've been trying to make this happen all summer. He understands the desire that I have right now. Mentally, we're on the same page. "Kobe's in a position right now where he knows he needs some help. He's the world's best player, and he's got a good group of guys around him, but he needs somebody to come in there and give him some support. He knows I want to get back onto the court and prove the naysayers wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boy, with all the work Kobe and Jermaine are doing to try and get a deal done, they must really be bad GMs not to have one by now... oh, that's right - they're basketball players, not general managers.

I love that Jermaine wants to go to the Lakers, but also wants to dictate the terms of the trade that gets him there, throwing his own GM under the bus. This ain't ever happening unless Odom is included with Bynum and once the Lakers do that, they'll be... well... just as mediocre as they are now, but with no future.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boy, with all the work Kobe and Jermaine are doing to try and get a deal done, they must really be bad GMs not to have one by now... oh, that's right - they're basketball players, not general managers.

I love that Jermaine wants to go to the Lakers, but also wants to dictate the terms of the trade that gets him there, throwing his own GM under the bus. This ain't ever happening unless Odom is included with Bynum and once the Lakers do that, they'll be... well... just as mediocre as they are now, but with no future.

Agreed....no bynum and odom in a deal for JO. It is a step back, or a lateral move at best.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacers’ O’Neal Denies Request To Be Traded
In THE INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Mark Montieth reports Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has discounted Internet reports that he wants to be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers. ‘My preference is to play here and win here,’ O'Neal said in a telephone interview after returning from Los Angeles on Monday afternoon, attempting to deflate a brewing controversy that had brought clarifying statements from Pacers president Larry Bird and O'Neal's agent, Arn Tellem.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacers’ O’Neal Denies Request To Be Traded
In THE INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Mark Montieth reports Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has discounted Internet reports that he wants to be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers. ‘My preference is to play here and win here,’ O'Neal said in a telephone interview after returning from Los Angeles on Monday afternoon, attempting to deflate a brewing controversy that had brought clarifying statements from Pacers president Larry Bird and O'Neal's agent, Arn Tellem.

As sad as Indiana is right now, they have a better chance of winning in the East, than Kobe/O'Neal Lakers winning out West.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As sad as Indiana is right now, they have a better chance of winning in the East, than Kobe/O'Neal Lakers winning out West.

Not with the Celtics there. Or the Bulls. Or Detroit. Or Miami. They could have a chance against the Cavs, though. Doubt they could beat a healthy Wizards team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with the Celtics there. Or the Bulls. Or Detroit. Or Miami. They could have a chance against the Cavs, though. Doubt they could beat a healthy Wizards team.

Jermaine and Kobe couldn't beat the Suns, Spurs, or Mavs. Would have a hard time competing with Houston, Utah, and Golden State.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jermaine and Kobe couldn't beat the Suns, Spurs, or Mavs. Would have a hard time competing with Houston, Utah, and Golden State.

They won't make a trade if LO AND Bynum are in the deal. So one of those two will stay.

Or no dice...that's the grounds I am looking at it from.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They won't make a trade if LO AND Bynum are in the deal. So one of those two will stay.

Or no dice...that's the grounds I am looking at it from.

Well, LA doesn't make the playoffs next year if they do nothing......

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, LA doesn't make the playoffs next year if they do nothing......

Why not? They have the same team and made the playoffs last year despite heavy injuries up and down the roster. Kobe is almost 20 pounds lighter and looks to be in the best game shape of his career. Fish is back so that's another guy who can shoot when needed. Farmar improves, Crittendon is a great pickup. Even Mihm is back which gives another serviceable big. And Vlad's hand is healed so he might even pan out to be worth something at least.

Not saying they will win a title by doing nothing, but they shouldn't have any problem being a playoff team. Don't put too much stock in Kobe's histrionics and pouting...

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keep dreaming of O'Neal Laker fans, I'd be surprised to see Larry Bird trade his star to the Lakers of all teams, and not for the poo poo platter you'll surely offer :D

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep dreaming of O'Neal Laker fans, I'd be surprised to see Larry Bird trade his star to the Lakers of all teams, and not for the poo poo platter you'll surely offer :D

You might want to sit the next couple of plays out, Champ.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not really dreaming of JO. Unless they want the pupu platter, I'm fine rolling with what we have. I'd love to get KB, LO and JO on the same team though, but I'm not expecting it to happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really dreaming of JO. Unless they want the pupu platter, I'm fine rolling with what we have. I'd love to get KB, LO and JO on the same team though, but I'm not expecting it to happen.

Why would you be fine with a team that has no shot at a title? If I was you I would be screaming to get more changes done somehow.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you be fine with a team that has no shot at a title? If I was you I would be screaming to get more changes done somehow.
Seriously, where is the hope for the Lakers this year? The rookie draft pick? Fisher?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? They have the same team and made the playoffs last year despite heavy injuries up and down the roster. Kobe is almost 20 pounds lighter and looks to be in the best game shape of his career. Fish is back so that's another guy who can shoot when needed. Farmar improves, Crittendon is a great pickup. Even Mihm is back which gives another serviceable big. And Vlad's hand is healed so he might even pan out to be worth something at least.

Not saying they will win a title by doing nothing, but they shouldn't have any problem being a playoff team. Don't put too much stock in Kobe's histrionics and pouting...

Wanna have a friendly wager?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fine does not equal happy. However, they can't make deals that are lateral or a step back (trading both Lamar and Bynum for JO is backward stepping).

If they could get a good deal for Kobe from Chicago, sure. However, those trades will not happen. Nobody is gutting their team for him. I'm being realistic here...there isn't much they can do.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to make a "things that suck" sub-forum that I can move the Lakers threads to.

:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That they will make the playoffs? Sure.

Bottle of patron?

That's a pretty friendly wager :) Patron ain't cheap. Let me get back with you on that one. I'm not that sure the Lakers will miss the playoffs.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty friendly wager :) Patron ain't cheap. Let me get back with you on that one. I'm not that sure the Lakers will miss the playoffs.

We can do a friendly one, like an Avatar and Tagline bet or something. I pick yours when I win, or you pick mine if you win. ;)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walton, Bynum, Farmar, and Turiaf doing well in tonight's preseason game. :thumbup:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the season is starting. Los Angeles Lakers. We know drama.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We can do a friendly one, like an Avatar and Tagline bet or something. I pick yours when I win, or you pick mine if you win. ;)

man, with Kobe likely out of a Lakers uni, it might be a good time to revisit this bet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05