The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is clearly a disconnect here. None of those guys you mentioned are part of our core that I said was drafted. I also stated that we still need to find the right trade and free agent targets to fill out the roster. The guys you mentioned aren't part of the core and most of them won't be on the roster when this team is good again. "Clearly the Suns still need to use trades and free agency to find more role players to fill out the roster" is directly suggesting that the current role players filling out the roster aren't good enough to win with. At least not with them playing big roles.

My responses have not been directed towards you. They've been directed towards 1sun who seems to be arguing we've built our entire team exclusively through the draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They would jump at JJ and the Bucks pick. If his rookie option was up right now, they would not exercise it.

They did pick up his 3rd year option, rookies have 3rd and 4th year options nowadays and not just 4th year. Of course declining a 3rd year option on a player that was injured for all but the final dozen games or so of his rookie season and who was selected #1 overall would have been incredibly shortsighted.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My responses have not been directed towards you. They've been directed towards 1sun who seems to be arguing we've built our entire team exclusively through the draft.
Well crap. I suppose if I didn't have him on ignore I would have been able to determine that. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rockets are planning to sign Danuel House. Good for him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Rockets are planning to sign Danuel House. Good for him.

I liked House. I know he was with Golden State for a while but that didn't work out. I was a little surprised he didn't land in Charlotte with Triano, he seemed to be a favorite of Triano's last year. I think he's better than his resume. He has NBA talent and if he can find the right place I could see him being a solid backup wing for someone.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one game and certainly not a 1 on 1 matchup but my goodness the Durant vs Aaron Gordon matchup last night was just a wee bit one sided. Durant finished with 49 6 boards and 9 assists, Gordon 0 points 4 boards 1 assist in only 22 minutes because of a sore back.

Before you think I'm bashing Gordon, the game effectively showed how important he is to Orlando, they led by 18 points when he left the game and 18 minutes later they had lost by 6 and Durant basically put the Warriors on his back. To be fair, he had 20 in the first half many against Gordon, but when gordon left the game, the Warriors just took over, I think Gordon was +12 or something similar for the game.

Disappointing for him he's a Bay Area kid and only got to play half the game.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
an article today pointed out how unusually tight the West playoff race is -- that the "lowly" Suns are the only team out of it.

competing teams will be looking to add a piece so it's a seller's market
good time to sell if we had anything anyone wants

obviously they don't need youngins or picks
the only way someone's interested in one of our vets is if they believe our badness dragged them down

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought you all might enjoy this.

That was incredible. Leonard Cohen (writer and original singer) and Jeff Buckley (best cover ever IMO) would be so proud.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still a bit too ball stopper happy but you have to admit Durant has been amazing the last 2 games, 44 and 49, basically shot 50% in both games, 29-30 on FT's combined, 19 rebounds and 16 assists. Without Steph or Draymond it's basically been him and Klay.

Klay actually had 31 and 29 himself, nearly 50% 11-24 from 3 but only 1 assist in 2 games which I attribute to the offense becoming more watch Durant because of the missing personnel.

Iggy still one of my favorite guys on the team but last 5 games he has a total of 19 points in 137 minutes as a starter, they need to get guys back so they can start resting Iggy and Livingston or they're going to be totally shot by the playoffs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
A reminder that McD thought George King was a better pro prospect than Allonzo Trier

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was incredible. Leonard Cohen (writer and original singer) and Jeff Buckley (best cover ever IMO) would be so proud.
Cohen's song is so iconic. I don't know of another piece of music that has that swelling emotion like that.

What makes this parody so good is that it is so close to reality and the words track the original so closely. My favorite line.

"The baffling Kings took Bagley over Luka"

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cohen's song is so iconic. I don't know of another piece of music that has that swelling emotion like that.

What makes this parody so good is that it is so close to reality and the words track the original so closely. My favorite line.

"The baffling Kings took Bagley over Luka"

I don't either, at least to that degree. And through the years he's added and subtracted so many verses yet each version remains impactful. The meaning in the song often gets lost or misunderstood but somehow it still manages to resonate with most listeners. And that parody is incredible, no forced lines and everything flows perfectly.

I loved the Kings line too, I'd say my second favorite is "but you don't really care for Euros, do ya?". It sums up what so many of us read here and elsewhere during the great debate.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Things are not going well in Boston. Gordon Hayward is just not fitting in there. Besides that, the Celts have plenty of wings. They might want to get out from under that contract.

So.

Suns:
Out: Anderson, Ariza, Milwaukee pick.
In: Gordon Hayward
This is a player the Suns have been trying to get for years. Hayward slides right in to the starting SF slot.

Houston:
Out: Brandon Knight, future first round pick.
In: Trevor Ariza
They want Ariza back. Their time is now. Knight adds nothing. The pick won't help them.

Boston:
Out: Gordon Hayward
In: Anderson, Knight, two future first round picks.
They get out of Hayward's huge contract, even taking on Anderson and Knight they are dumping salary, get better team chemistry, and get two picks to boot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gordon Hayward? And we're complaining that Ayton is passive? Hayward makes Ayton look like Conor McGregor. The reason Hayward isn't fitting in in Boston is that he was never that good in the first place. Make him the first option and he can get decent numbers, but allow him to fade into the background and he'll do it so quickly you'll forget he was ever on the court.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Check out the version by Alexandra Burke as well.

I think it is among, of not, the best.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Utah sending Alec Burkes two future second round picks to Cleveland for Korver per Woj.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the version by Alexandra Burke as well.

I think it is among, of not, the best.

I know you're not fond of Leonard Cohen so I could see you taking her version over his but I don't think it holds a candle to Jeff Buckley's version. To me, Buckley's Hallelujah is one of the three greatest covers in popular music. I'd put it right there with the Jay and the Americans version of Cara Mia and Harry Nilsson's cover of the Badfinger tune Without You.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah sending Alec Burkes two future second round picks to Cleveland for Korver per Woj.

Since the Cavaliers are not going anywhere acquiring two second round picks (one belonging to the Wizards) and a player they might try to keep can't hurt. The Jazz want to space the floor so it is win-win.