The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst start doesn't mean it will be the worst record for the season. It's been the worst start for reasons that have already started to improve and will continue to improve as the season progresses.
Even so, I think your win total is a little optimistic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, but we are currently in the midst of our worst start in our 51-year franchise history.

Sure but the year we started 0 - 13 we ended up 40 - 42 and made the playoffs. Granted, we're not trading for Kidd this year but he only started 23 games that season anyway thanks to injury. I'm not predicting that kind of turnaround but I think we can win roughly a third of our remaining games which would put us in the mid 20's. As always, that prediction (otherwise known as a wild-assed guess) assumes good health.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the same as Book at SG and Bridges at SF. Especially if a real PG could play defense in the backcourt like Bridges.

Even with Warren at PF for the rest of the season. Nobody on the Suns can take the place of Devin Booker being fed at SG.

Now if we pick up a functioning PF, there would have to be a decision at SF. Warren or Bridges. With Bridges being a rookie, I could see him coming off the bench to start the game and going with the best options between Warren and him throughout the game. And even giving Warren some time at PF if it wouldn't hurt us defensively, now that we have a sold backup C.

I'm very high on Bridges long term but I don't think he's physically developed enough to be a minutes eater at the 3. I don't even like his chances of holding up as a starter at the 2 but he's our best choice if Devin is playing point.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure but the year we started 0 - 13 we ended up 40 - 42 and made the playoffs. Granted, we're not trading for Kidd this year but he only started 23 games that season anyway thanks to injury. I'm not predicting that kind of turnaround but I think we can win roughly a third of our remaining games which would put us in the mid 20's. As always, that prediction (otherwise known as a wild-assed guess) assumes good health.
It will be interesting to see. We have definitely played much better the last 10 games compared to the first 10 games. We also haven't played many games against the East yet and when we have, we've played their top teams with the exception being the Bulls.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see. We have definitely played much better the last 10 games compared to the first 10 games. We also haven't played many games against the East yet and when we have, we've played their top teams with the exception being the Bulls.
Lol our record the first 10 games is exactly our record the last 10. So when I say Sac is light years ahead....yes it's an exaggeration but I think us being much better the last 10 games is also an exaggeration. I hope we get better it sucks seeing them be the worst.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol our record the first 10 games is exactly our record the last 10. So when I say Sac is light years ahead....yes it's an exaggeration but I think us being much better the last 10 games is also an exaggeration. I hope we get better it sucks seeing them be the worst.
You can laugh about it but it's true. We've been much more competitive. I didn't say it translated to wins.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And the Nets.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was confused by #RUINTHEGAME, ruin the game?! But then figured it out, r u in the game?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoiberg fired and within minutes UCLA fans are campaigning for him to replace Steve Alford

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoiberg fired and within minutes UCLA fans are campaigning for him to replace Steve Alford

He was fired after a 5-19 start this season on a Bulls team riddled by injuries.

From a statement by John Paxson, the Bulls' executive vice president of basketball operations.

"After a thorough evaluation, I elected to make this move with the overall development of our team in mind. As a team, I believe it is imperative that we make unfaltering strides in the right direction and build the right habits to help put our players in the best position to evolve not only now, but into the future. I want to thank Fred for his dedication and efforts, as well as for his enduring commitment to our team."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ire-head-coach-fred-hoiberg-5-19-start-season

Hmm.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they fired Hoiberg now. I wouldn't have been surprised if they fired him a year and a half ago but I don't get why they're unhappy with him now given the roster and injuries. Maybe it has something to do with his relationship with Lavine after Zach intentionally ignored his instructions on the final play of a game?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they fired Hoiberg now. I wouldn't have been surprised if they fired him a year and a half ago but I don't get why they're unhappy with him now given the roster and injuries. Maybe it has something to do with his relationship with Lavine after Zach intentionally ignored his instructions on the final play of a game?

It probably does and even as a UCLA guy I have to say why would anybody choose a kid that hasn't won squat and can't guard his own shadow over a coach? Zach is having an outstanding offensive season but he made Klay Thompson look like Larry Bird in a 3 point shooting contest not all that long ago, near as I can tell it's not Hoiberg's fault the Bulls matched that offer from Sacramento.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that anybody else can guard him but Trae Young's first experience guarding Steph Curry went about as expected, Curry put up 18 in the first quarter and outscored the Hawks 18-17 in the quarter.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not that anybody else can guard him but Trae Young's first experience guarding Steph Curry went about as expected, Curry put up 18 in the first quarter and outscored the Hawks 18-17 in the quarter.
That is why I don't think we should draft a Point Guard, but rather sign or trade for one. Sure, the great scorers will score on anyone, but draftees take years to catch on to the tricks of the trade of playing the Point (offense and defense), whereas experienced mid-career ones would have already made many adjustments. I know I have posted that before but it applies to this post.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is why I don't think we should draft a Point Guard, but rather sign or trade for one. Sure, the great scorers will score on anyone, but draftees take years to catch on to the tricks of the trade of playing the Point (offense and defense), whereas experienced mid-career ones would have already made many adjustments. I know I have posted that before but it applies to this post.
Sigh.

Ok. Let’s do that. Which one do you want and how do we get him?

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After getting Alex Len updates from one of the resident trolls every time he managed to avoid farting down wind, it should be noted that Len has rapidly played his way out of the Hawks rotation entirely.

Len was born 20-30 years too late. Guy would have been a legit center in the plodding 90s NBA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After getting Alex Len updates from one of the resident trolls every time he managed to avoid farting down wind, it should be noted that Len has rapidly played his way out of the Hawks rotation entirely.

Len was born 20-30 years too late. Guy would have been a legit center in the plodding 90s NBA.
Len would have been on so many posters

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It probably does and even as a UCLA guy I have to say why would anybody choose a kid that hasn't won squat and can't guard his own shadow over a coach? Zach is having an outstanding offensive season but he made Klay Thompson look like Larry Bird in a 3 point shooting contest not all that long ago, near as I can tell it's not Hoiberg's fault the Bulls matched that offer from Sacramento.

Klay Thompson is a better shooter than Larry Bird.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klay Thompson is a better shooter than Larry Bird.

Hard to say, different eras etc. The thing with Bird is he got everyone's best defender every night and was still amazing. Klay got the 2nd best defender until Durant and now the 3rd best. He's an absolutely great shooter and player and a terrific defender too, but nobody comes in to play the Warriors with a gameplan of stopping Klay.

waht was interesting to me is Klay shot better in November than he did in October even though Curry missed 11 games in november.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bird was a great player but he’s way overrated because he’s white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed but he was a remarkable shooter. My reference was really to the year Bird won the 3 point contest without even taking off his warmups, that's what Klay's 14 threes game was like because Zach's defense was so bad many of Klay's 3's were uncharacteristically wide open.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05