The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Nonsense every play when a guy hits the ball first it’s never a foul! Definitely should not be when challenged and watching in slow mo and the end of a shot clock to bail them out, can clearly see no body contact and hit the ball first period! Obviously you’re a Dallas fan and happy with the result but an elimination game shouldn’t come down to the refs basically handing Dallas the game by awarding 3 BS free throws.
On a blocked shot or a lose ball yes. Washington held the ball. The refs explained the rule I thought? So you are saying the refs don’t know the NBA rules? I get that it was close and Dallas got lucky. SGA gambled and lost. In the future I doubt he will make that type of play in that situation. He’s a great player.

Dallas should have lost this game. They were down by 17 points. The fact that they clawed their way back into the game had little to do with the refs as they had a lot of calls go against them. In fact Dort knocked gafford out of the game on a blatant no call. And dort should have fouled out. This was the opposite of game 4.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The refs were bad both ways.

For a close tense game, that was a miserable watch. The refs were far too involved and reacting to every flop and seemingly searching for fouls to call. So many of these flops should be no calls, instead the refs make a bad call one way or the other because they're stopping play for nothing.

Also... why T up Luka early if you're going to let him get away with the even more demonstrative behavior entire rest of the game? It's like they wanted to "set a tone", and the only tone they set was that they're going to blow the whistle... a lot.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For a close tense game, that was a miserable watch. The refs were far too involved and reacting to every flop and seemingly searching for fouls to call. So many of these flops should be no calls, instead the refs make a bad call one way or the other because they're stopping play for nothing.

Also... why T up Luka early if you're going to let him get away with the even more demonstrative behavior entire rest of the game? It's like they wanted to "set a tone", and the only tone they set was that they're going to blow the whistle... a lot.
Yep then decided the game with another terrible call with 2 seconds left..

Lorenzo

Reaction score

The refs were bad. This was a physical series where there were a lot of no calls on obvious fouls. Today I thought there were way too many tick-tack calls compared to the other games in the series. Doncic got fouled by dort a lot. Dort should have fouled out of this game. doncic’s complaining hurt him a lot in the first half. OKC squandered this game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep then decided the game with another terrible call with 2 seconds left..
It would save me a lot of heartache if they just played a 2 second game. I had to ff through it because it was too stressful. I admit I don’t want to see the refs decide the game. We don’t watch the games to see them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't think Dallas had that extra gear they showed in this series, particularly on D. Having Kyrie to slow things down and steady things when Luka is resting or isn't hitting is big for them also. That as well as their key deadline trades, they turned into legit contenders. Can't say I saw it coming or liked it but they won, straight up. I think their season ends vs Minnesota or Denver though. Those teams can play bigger and more physical. They'll beat up Luka, Kyrie, and won't allow Washington to look like a star in the making either.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I didn't think Dallas had that extra gear they showed in this series, particularly on D. Having Kyrie to slow things down and steady things when Luka is resting or isn't hitting is big for them also. That as well as their key deadline trades, they turned into legit contenders. Can't say I saw it coming or liked it but they won, straight up. I think their season ends vs Minnesota or Denver though. Those teams can play bigger and more physical. They'll beat up Luka, Kyrie, and won't allow Washington to look like a star in the making either.
Washington had a great series. Even today when he struggled, he hit big shots late and had a clutch offensive rebound on an OKC missed Free throw. I have no idea how Dallas matches with either team. If I had to guess it would be better to draw Denver. I think Minnesota would be more like the OKC but their bigger players could give Dallas more problems on the glass. They could also decide to guard doncic and Irving straight up so that the other Dallas players do not have as many wide open looks.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
if it's minnesota - mavs are going to the finals

if it's denver i honestly don't know

(i think it'll be denver)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if it's minnesota - mavs are going to the finals

if it's denver i honestly don't know

(i think it'll be denver)

They have no one who can stop Ant, which will be their undoing against Minnesota. Plus Minnesota has a legit rim protector in Gobert that will keep them from feasting in the paint.

I actually like their chances more against Denver than Minnesota but I think Denver wins. Denver has been there before and won't wilt under the pressure. They're just a well oiled machine.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Watching the length and athleticism teams in the west have makes me think we’re toast in this conference going forward.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
They have no one who can stop Ant, which will be their undoing against Minnesota. Plus Minnesota has a legit rim protector in Gobert that will keep them from feasting in the paint.

I actually like their chances more against Denver than Minnesota but I think Denver wins. Denver has been there before and won't wilt under the pressure. They're just a well oiled machine.
nobody can stop ant tho - it has to be a team effort - constant effort - and what we've seen from the young phenom is he gets upset just like everyone else when calls aren't going his way - maybe even more so - reminds me of a young jordan tbh - but still i think the mavs defense is up to it and more experienced - but then again the series might not happen so who knows - looking forward to game 7

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas isn’t beating whoever comes out of the other series.
That’s what I thought about this past series with OKC and was also unsure about the clippers. I don't know that many people had dallas beating OKC in 6 and playing the type of defense that they did for most of the series. but they displayed that they can outscore one of the best 2-way teams in the league. there is something to be said about being able to win games with both offense and defense like they did in that series. they will not be favored to win any series beyond this point. sometimes not being favored can be a good thing.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
nobody can stop ant tho - it has to be a team effort - constant effort - and what we've seen from the young phenom is he gets upset just like everyone else when calls aren't going his way - maybe even more so - reminds me of a young jordan tbh - but still i think the mavs defense is up to it and more experienced - but then again the series might not happen so who knows - looking forward to game 7
Ant is amazing, so is SGA. No one can stop them, doncic, or joker. If you have a superstar on your team you have a shot. Especially if they are surrounded by the right players. Doncic trusts his teammates. He gave up that last shot to Washington and that sealed the game. Albeit with an extra assist from the refs on SGA’s foul. A couple of years ago doncic would have shot over that double team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
GG Dallas. Maybe we'll see you next year.
likely to be a rematch, and it will make for some interesting reg season games next year. I like OKC's odds for sure. Shaq is right, I think SGA deserved to win the MVP award. there's no doubt he is that guy. Holmgren is also a great young player, but so is Lively. I thought Lively outshined him as the series went on and he gained more confidence to score and make free throws. Lively is an unsung hero for dallas. he was the difference in last night's game IMO.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
likely to be a rematch, and it will make for some interesting reg season games next year. I like OKC's odds for sure. Shaq is right, I think SGA deserved to win the MVP award. there's no doubt he is that guy. Holmgren is also a great young player, but so is Lively. I thought Lively outshined him as the series went on and he gained more confidence to score and make free throws. Lively is an unsung hero for dallas. he was the difference in last night's game IMO.

All well said Lorenzo and again congrats on a hard fought series win! Still stings this morning because I thought we had you guys but that was a tough, gritty, we-want-it-more-than-you performance by the Mavs. So congrats.

I agree DAL/OKC could absolutely develop into a natural rivalry in coming years. The teams close proximity to each other, each likely to be good for several more years and jealous of the other's success, and Doncic being a little bit of villian to opposing fans all will tip the scales in favor of there being some animosity between the two teams. Should be fun! :) The west needs a good rivalry I think correct?

Also agree on SGA, and I'm not sure if OKC needs another piece or just to develop it's current roster, but I trust in our awesome GM to try to put this roster over the top for next year! We might win 60 regular season games this upcoming season!

Do you have a lean for what will happen to DAL's roster after this year? What is Doncic's contract situation?

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think Holmgren is more of a PF than C. He's kind of like AD in that he can play either spot but I believe if they add some size to help him then they'll be a better team for it. If he could be more of a help side shot blocker instead of primary rim protector that would also help. He's too thin and not strong enough to battle with guys like Lively for 35 minutes a night.

It was a good series. SGA was the best player for most of it but he didn't have much help. OKC needs another star instead of more role players. Once Shai gets a Robin to his Batman, the sky is the limit for them. That isn't Chet, not as their only big at least. He has to exert too much energy to provide the offensive help regularly.

Saw these stats for the series.

Shai

PPG- 32.2
RPG- 8.0
APG- 7.3
BPG- 2.3
SPG- 1.2

Shooting 51/55/83

Luka

PPG- 24.7
RPG- 10.5
APG- 8.7
BPG- 0.5
SPG- 1.7

Shooting 45/39/74

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All well said Lorenzo and again congrats on a hard fought series win! Still stings this morning because I thought we had you guys but that was a tough, gritty, we-want-it-more-than-you performance by the Mavs. So congrats.

I agree DAL/OKC could absolutely develop into a natural rivalry in coming years. The teams close proximity to each other, each likely to be good for several more years and jealous of the others success, and Doncic being a little bit of villian to opposing fans all will tip the scales in favor of there being some animosity between the two teams. Should be fun! :) The west needs a good rivalry I think correct?

Also agree on SGA, and I'm not sure if OKC needs another piece or just to develop it's current roster, but I trust in our awesome GM to try to put this roster over the top for next year! We might win 60 regular season games this upcoming season!

Do you have a lean for what will happen to DAL's roster after this year? What is Doncic's contract situation?

They obviously need another big guy, maybe 2 IMO. They obviously have a lot of pieces in order to make that happen.

So close, I wanted a game 7. Unfortunately, that was a foul

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I agree DAL/OKC could absolutely develop into a natural rivalry in coming years. The teams close proximity to each other, each likely to be good for several more years and jealous of the others success, and Doncic being a little bit of villian to opposing fans all will tip the scales in favor of there being some animosity between the two teams. Should be fun! :) The west needs a good rivalry I think correct?

It will be a great rivalry. It was cool seeing both fans travel to the games as well. I think OKC needs to address their rebounding woes. it's not as if they are terrible at it, they just need another big guy that can protect Holmgren. kind of like dallas did for lively by adding Gafford. and experience, that's all OKC need. they are already beyond their years in that regard. they could have won this series against dallas. it was close IMO, I don't see much of a gap other than rebounding.

As for dallas they should look to replace tim hardaway jr. whether that's with a young player like Hardy, or adding a veteran, or both. The most important thing is for cuban to stay out of the way. I am thankful that he bought the team and made changes to the organization, but don nelson sr. does not get enough credit for building the mavericks into a champion because he had a vision of the modern NBA with steve nash and dirk. cuban has often held the team back and I think now you can see the results of Harrison running the organization.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Holmgren is more of a PF than C. He's kind of like AD in that he can play either spot but I believe if they add some size to help him then they'll be a better team for it. If he could be more of a help side shot blocker instead of primary rim protector that would also help. He's too thin and not strong enough to battle with guys like Lively for 35 minutes a night.

It was a good series. SGA was the best player for most of it but he didn't have much help. OKC needs another star instead of more role players. Once Shai gets a Robin to his Batman, the sky is the limit for them. That isn't Chet, not as their only big at least. He has to exert too much energy to provide the offensive help regularly.

Shai

PPG- 32.2
RPG- 8.0
APG- 7.3
BPG- 2.3
SPG- 1.2

Shooting 51/55/83

Luka

PPG- 24.7
RPG- 10.5
APG- 8.7
BPG- 0.5
SPG- 1.7

Shooting 45/39/74
excellent points on all. I especially agree with Holmgren being more a 4. Lively was protected by Gafford. And Lively's confidence was boosted by Irving and Doncic who both empowered him to score in the fourth quarter and not shy away from the free throw line. Doncic has Irving as well. SGA doesn't have that luxury. Irving is an equal to Doncic who already has a ring. Luka looks up to Irving.

SGA was the MVP of this series. the best performer doesn't always win. IMO Doncic was the best performer in both of those clippers series dallas lost in 20/21. in this series Doncic wasn't always at his best as a scorer, but he put on a master class in some of the games as a facilitator. he looked like he almost lost the ball, but he also created the game winning play that ended on the foul call.

OKC made it a point to force Luka and Irving to pass the ball as much as possible and it worked in Dallas favor because Doncic and Irving empowered their teammates from the start.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavs trade for Gafford and Washington Jr. is what helped them turn the corner.

And they didn't have to give up the farm to do it.
The fact that you still don’t understand that we could never do what they did because we didn’t and don’t have a Doncic to rebuild around is mind-boggling.

And you’re wrong about not giving up the farm. They literally gave up THEIR ENTIRE TEAM from 2022 except Doncic to get back to the WCF. It’s a totally new team since they humiliated the Suns core you wanted to cling to. They knew their core wasn’t good enough to move forward so they made wholesale changes except for their Unicorn. The Suns didn’t have that option because we don’t have a unicorn to build around.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Shai

PPG- 32.2
RPG- 8.0
APG- 7.3
BPG- 2.3
SPG- 1.2

Shooting 51/55/83

Luka

PPG- 24.7
RPG- 10.5
APG- 8.7
BPG- 0.5
SPG- 1.7

Shooting 45/39/74

Interesting points and sounds like you know your basketball Hoop Head! Thanks!