The 53 and what it means for the draft...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One issue that teams with depth always encounter with the draft is, how many guys can actually make the roster? So, here is a brief rundown of our 53 man roster, where there are spots for draftees to fill. Spots that can easily be won will be in bold.

QB
1-Carson Palmer
2-Drew Stanton
3-Zach Dysert

RB
4-David Johnson
5-Andre Ellington
6-Kerwynn Williams
7-Elijhaa Penny
8-?

WR
9-Larry Fitzgerald
10-John Brown
11-JJ Nelson
12-Jaron Brown
13-Brittan Golden
14-Jeremy Ross

TE
15-Jermaine Gresham
16-Troy Niklas
17-Ifeanyi Mohmah
18-Hakeem Valles

OL
19-DJ Humphries
20-Mike Iupati
21-AQ Shipley
22-Evan Boehm
23-Jared Veldheer
24-John Wetzel
25-Cole Toner
26-Ulrick John

DL
27-Corey Peters
28-Xavier Williams
29-Rodney Gunter
30-Robert Nkemdiche
31-Frostee Rucker
32-Josh Mauro
33-Olson Pierre
34-Ed Stinson

OLB
35-Chandler Jones
36-Markus Golden
37-Kareem Martin
38-Jarvis Jones

ILB
39-Deone Bucannon
40-Karlos Dansby
41-Alani Fua
42-Gabe Martin

CB
43-Patrick Peterson
44-Justin Bethel
45-Brandon Williams
46-Harlan Miller

S
47-Tyrann Mathiu
48-Antoine Bethea
49-Tyvon Branch
50-Christian Bryant

ST
51-Phil Dawson
52-Matt Wile
53-Aaron Brewer

So, that is 53. Definitely some spots open.

The list of spots I feel are open...

QB3 - Dysert doesn't feel like a lock, but someone would need to be drafted high to unseat him IMO.

RB-Two spots are open. I feel like we will sign a FA and draft one. 5 RBs doesn't like a stretch due to Ellington being one of those 5.

WR-Golden and Ross are up for grabs. I think the Cards will only carry 5 due to Ellington, so open up one spot.

TE-Valles is very replaceable.

OL-Ulrick John and Cole Toner are replaceable. 8 seems like the right number to carry.

DL-Ed Stinson is about the only one potentially on the bubble. Again, 8 seems about right.

OLB-I expect a playe to be added to this group in the draft. Kareem is probably first out, but Jones could move inside or they could carry 5.

ILB-Gabe has been a fixture on STs. I think he sticks and Fua goes if push comes to shove. Both are replaceable.

CB-I think we just add a guy here.

S-Bryant is expendable, and we have carried 5 in the past. I expect at least one to be added.

To conclude...(my predictions)

We will only draft a QB in the top 3 rounds or an UDFA, PS option.

We will sign a FA RB and draft a RB.

It won't shock me if we don't draft a WR.

We will draft a TE.

I don't believe we will draft an OL.

I don't believe we will draft an DL.

I think we draft an OLB.

I think we draft an ILB.

I think we will draft a CB.

We will draft at least one S.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
id cut Bethel and Williams before I cut Harlan.

I know what Bethel and Williams are.

Dont know what Harlan is. He has the benefit of mystery. Those others just stink.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice breakdown Chopper! TE, QB, S and ILB really stick out to me as area's that are in need of young talent.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Well done, Chopper. This is the absolute way to chart the needs.

The only bubble guy of yours who likely sticks from the get-go is G Cole Toner. Not sure about TE Niklas as a keeper. But everything else looks right on the money.

The sleepers not listed here (just to add for fun), imho, are WR Chris Hubert, WR Marquis Bundy, T Givens Price, ILB Scooby Wright, CB Elie Bouka, FS/CB Trevon Hartfield and P Richie Leone.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback...some early thoughts.

I think the Cards will keep Harlan Miller as a CB/S player. How you want to label him is not really important. I think he sticks on the roster which is why I believe we just add a CB. I don't believe he gets cut.

I think Niklas stays just because the team has so much invested in him.

Momah is replaceable, but I think the team likes him if they don't draft 2 TEs. If the Cards add two TEs, Momah is gone.

Toner is a guy wh oprobably sticks because the Cards don't bring in an alternative player to unseat him. His issue is that I don't believe he can play OT while both Ulrick John and Wetzel can.

I get the disappointment with Bethel and Williams, but here is why they stay over others. Bethel has tremendous special teams value. You aren't going to give that up over Harlan Miller if you are drafting a CB. With Brandon Williams, you have a size/speed prospect coming into his second season. You aren't going to give that up for Harlan Miller. So, of the guys likely to make the roster, Miller would be the first out, but I believe they would just create an extra DB spot instead of getting rid of him.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If i had to pick a first 5 out...

1-Jeremy Ross WR
2-Christian Bryant S
3-5th RB spot
4-Hakeem Valles TE
5-Elijah Penny RB

Honorable mention probably goes to Ed Stinson

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great post - this is one of those exercises where the reality of injury during training camp will provide the opening for a young player. It is really nice to see slots at the bottom of each position grouping to allow someone to get a spot based on ST ability or potential, versus being shut out completely (like WR last year before the injuries).

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
When you break it down like that..

Really need to draft QB, WR, TE, MLB, CB and FS.

So many options with that #1 pick that should be available.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dont know what Harlan is. He has the benefit of mystery. Those others just stink.
I think this is the first post I wholeheartedly agree with you.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ed Stinson & Brandon Williams could be cut tomorrow & I wouldn't blink an eye.

I'd be livid if we cut Harlan.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
One issue that teams with depth always encounter with the draft is, how many guys can actually make the roster? So, here is a brief rundown of our 53 man roster, where there are spots for draftees to fill. Spots that can easily be won will be in bold.

QB
1-Carson Palmer
2-Drew Stanton
3-Zach Dysert

RB
4-David Johnson
5-Andre Ellington
6-Kerwynn Williams
7-Elijhaa Penny
8-?

WR
9-Larry Fitzgerald
10-John Brown
11-JJ Nelson
12-Jaron Brown
13-Brittan Golden
14-Jeremy Ross

TE
15-Jermaine Gresham
16-Troy Niklas
17-Ifeanyi Mohmah
18-Hakeem Valles

OL
19-DJ Humphries
20-Mike Iupati
21-AQ Shipley
22-Evan Boehm
23-Jared Veldheer
24-John Wetzel
25-Cole Toner
26-Ulrick John

DL
27-Corey Peters
28-Ian Williams
29-Rodney Gunter
30-Robert Nkemdiche
31-Frostee Rucker
32-Josh Mauro
33-Olson Pierre
34-Ed Stinson

OLB
35-Chandler Jones
36-Markus Golden
37-Kareem Martin
38-Jarvis Jones

ILB
39-Deone Bucannon
40-Karlos Dansby
41-Alani Fua
42-Gabe Martin

CB
43-Patrick Peterson
44-Justin Bethel
45-Brandon Williams
46-Harlan Miller

S
47-Tyrann Mathiu
48-Antoine Bethea
49-Tyvon Branch
50-Christian Bryant

ST
51-Phil Dawson
52-Matt Wile
53-Aaron Brewer

So, that is 53. Definitely some spots open.

The list of spots I feel are open...

QB3 - Dysert doesn't feel like a lock, but someone would need to be drafted high to unseat him IMO.

RB-Two spots are open. I feel like we will sign a FA and draft one. 5 RBs doesn't like a stretch due to Ellington being one of those 5.

WR-Golden and Ross are up for grabs. I think the Cards will only carry 5 due to Ellington, so open up one spot.

TE-Valles is very replaceable.

OL-Ulrick John and Cole Toner are replaceable. 8 seems like the right number to carry.

DL-Ed Stinson is about the only one potentially on the bubble. Again, 8 seems about right.

OLB-I expect a playe to be added to this group in the draft. Kareem is probably first out, but Jones could move inside or they could carry 5.

ILB-Gabe has been a fixture on STs. I think he sticks and Fua goes if push comes to shove. Both are replaceable.

CB-I think we just add a guy here.

S-Bryant is expendable, and we have carried 5 in the past. I expect at least one to be added.

To conclude...(my predictions)

We will only draft a QB in the top 3 rounds or an UDFA, PS option.

We will sign a FA RB and draft a RB.

It won't shock me if we don't draft a WR.

We will draft a TE.

I don't believe we will draft an OL.

I don't believe we will draft an DL.

I think we draft an OLB.

I think we draft an ILB.

I think we will draft a CB.

We will draft at least one S.

Chopper, I always enjoy reading your analysis. Couple things I'm curious on is you don't think Troy Niklas position can easily be won?

And you have Harlan as a CB. I think they will try him at FS based on his play at that position at the end of the season.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice write up. The one major change I would make is drafting a defensive lineman instead of OLB. To me losing CC really drops the talent level on the line. Right now I only see one starter and that is Peters. Maybe Nkemdiche has a break out year and we have two but to me our d-line is very week.

I would draft a d-lineman in the first three rounds.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i had to pick a first 5 out...

1-Jeremy Ross WR
2-Christian Bryant S
3-5th RB spot
4-Hakeem Valles TE
5-Elijah Penny RB

Honorable mention probably goes to Ed Stinson

I like Penny, at least what I have seen. :shrug:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I agree about Bethel... but Williams is still an unknown and placing judgement on him given his situation is rather rash in my opinion, he looked so lost at first that you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was about experience :)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For the DL, I think you meant Xavier Williams & I'd also put him on the bubble with Stinson.

This is definitely a good way to look at our needs & draft guys that can stick on the roster. Obviously, the hope is that we can draft a guy that can push other guys further down the depth chart (knocking off bubble guys)... for instance, if we can get a #2 RB that pushes Ellington, Williams & Penny further down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
Love this breakdown. Great way of looking at it.
I live out of town and don't get to see all the games. I try to keep up online but I have a few questions attributable to true ignorance.
What have people seen in Harlan Miller? I haven't heard anything about him since the draft.
Who is Olsen Pierre and why is he one of the "untouchables". Again, I just haven't heard of this guy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Love this breakdown. Great way of looking at it.
I live out of town and don't get to see all the games. I try to keep up online but I have a few questions attributable to true ignorance.
What have people seen in Harlan Miller? I haven't heard anything about him since the draft.
Who is Olsen Pierre and why is he one of the "untouchables". Again, I just haven't heard of this guy.

Miller was forced into playing a bit of FS the last two games and he looked instinctive. He had a textbook FS interception on a deep pass where he read the throw correctly.

Olsen Pierre didn't really play last year, but the coaching staff LOVES him and kept him on the active roster. That says something about him. He looked good in the preseason.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another outstanding OP buy Chopper.

I would rate the need for a CB higher than Chopper does but can't find much else to quibble over.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Penny, at least what I have seen. :shrug:
He is practice squad eligible which is something that is generally considered as a tie-breaker. Also, while I liked what I saw from him, I didn't see anything special. If a guy doesn't stand out as a depth player, he is generally replaceable.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nice write up. The one major change I would make is drafting a defensive lineman instead of OLB. To me losing CC really drops the talent level on the line. Right now I only see one starter and that is Peters. Maybe Nkemdiche has a break out year and we have two but to me our d-line is very week.

I would draft a d-lineman in the first three rounds.

I see your point, but you are going to draft someone high in order for that player to crack the depth chart.

NT is out. Peters is a large contract, and the team has held onto Xavier Williams for a couple years now.

So, that leaves DE, and who are you going to draft. Solomon Thomas at 13 would be good, but I really doubt he is there. Jonathan Allen...same. That leaves you with Malik McDowell and Caleb Brantley at 45 because 13 is too high. So, would you like Brantley or a S like Josh Jones or Marcus Maye. Would you pass on Fabien Moreau in round 2 for one of these guys? I just don't see it, especially with snaps being dedicated to Robert Nkemdiche, Rodney Gunter, Forstee Rucker and Josh Mauro.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For the DL, I think you meant Xavier Williams & I'd also put him on the bubble with Stinson.

This is definitely a good way to look at our needs & draft guys that can stick on the roster. Obviously, the hope is that we can draft a guy that can push other guys further down the depth chart (knocking off bubble guys)... for instance, if we can get a #2 RB that pushes Ellington, Williams & Penny further down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks and changed.

Re: Xavier Williams, I think he is a cheap backup, he is a known quantity, and he plays a snap limited position. I don't see them allocating a resource for his role, but they have shown they value it by hanging onto him for as long as they have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05