The Big Summer of 2012

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares, obviously you are an ignorant idiot then.

people who actually understand advanced NBA stats know that Isiah is overrated and not even a top 5 PG all time.

Isiah did not even make all NBA 3rd team in the Pistons championship years but Joe Dumas did.

is this an entire post of just random people from another message board as proof that you're right? lol.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a clue about Aaron Brooks CBA contract status when he returns from China? I know he was a RFA with the Suns before going there. Do the Suns have to make a move this season concerning his contract. It was his choice to go over there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Allen Iverson was much more unlikeable and it did not hurt his MVP case. It also did not hurt other players who regularly finished above Thomas even when the Pistsons had the best record in the league Thomas was not considered a MVP candidate.

Isiah Thomas NEVER even got close to winning a MVP.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mvp_shares_career.html

In his championship years he was BAD in the playoffs and his own teammate made all-nba teams above him at the same position. The great Dale Ellis made all NBA teams over him those years.

Nash just beats Thomas, beats him in basically any metric, beats him in impact, beats him in awards (more all-nba teams, MVPs..), beats him in recognition..

It's funny because Isiah Thomas supporters always return to the horrible flawed argument "but he has 2 rings" mimimi

congratulations. you have convinced me. that you never watched basketball during the isiah thomas era. METRICS!!!!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Westbrook is off the table. He just signed and $80 mil extension. having too much money and to few players available means signing players for too much money.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Westbrook is off the table. He just signed and $80 mil extension. having too much money and to few players available means signing players for too much money.

It's how the Channings and Chilz of the world get ridiculous contracts, while putting teams in salary cap hell. Sadly we'll likely be forced to overpay as we'll have a ton of money, nobody to spend it on, and requirements to spend to a salary floor.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
1 year deals just like this year. We should keep our caproom flexibility until we have drafted at least a new allstar type player to compete. Until then go for cheap FAs with some upside. You need to gamble not pay good players a fortune that are just 4th or 5th options on a contender. An example of that would be Mayo or Wilson Chandler.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
1 year deals just like this year. We should keep our caproom flexibility until we have drafted at least a new allstar type player to compete. Until then go for cheap FAs with some upside. You need to gamble not pay good players a fortune that are just 4th or 5th options on a contender. An example of that would be Mayo or Wilson Chandler.

agreed. if we overpay on longer contracts for middling talent we'll be forever mediocre. i'm not signing up for that.

but this is what i expected. what franchise is going to let their talent reach free agency these days? i fully expect to see love locked up too (not that i was a big fan of giving him the max, but i've seen such sentiment on this board).

"The Big Summer of 2012" is gonna have nada available and we're gonna be left holding a bag of money. awesome. wouldn't it be ironic if players, knowing that we had to spend to the floor used that leverage to get multi-year deals or just ludicrious one-year deals? we're going to be paying the chilz of the league $10 for one year just to get to the floor. super-duper-awesomeness sarver!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
agreed. if we overpay on longer contracts for middling talent we'll be forever mediocre. i'm not signing up for that.

but this is what i expected. what franchise is going to let their talent reach free agency these days? i fully expect to see love locked up too (not that i was a big fan of giving him the max, but i've seen such sentiment on this board).

"The Big Summer of 2012" is gonna have nada available and we're gonna be left holding a bag of money. awesome. wouldn't it be ironic if players, knowing that we had to spend to the floor used that leverage to get multi-year deals or just ludicrious one-year deals? we're going to be paying the chilz of the league $10 for one year just to get to the floor. super-duper-awesomeness sarver!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, for all those crowing about letting Amare go, and the "flexibility" we have, we'll see how many top FA's we get in the next couple years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget Steve Nash as an upcoming FA. It is fair to say the Suns may want to re-sign him. So far, I do not see the Suns wanting to go a different direction.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's not forget Steve Nash as an upcoming FA. It is fair to say the Suns may want to re-sign him. So far, I do not see the Suns wanting to go a different direction.
I only see this happening if the Suns can also sign an all-star type FA or two. Nash has stated repeatedly that this team is a player or two short from being able to compete. I see him waiting next summer until all the other pieces fall in place, but if the Suns don't acquire a major piece or two, I don't see him wanting to come back. It wouldn't make sense for either party.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only see this happening if the Suns can also sign an all-star type FA or two. Nash has stated repeatedly that this team is a player or two short from being able to compete. I see him waiting next summer until all the other pieces fall in place, but if the Suns don't acquire a major piece or two, I don't see him wanting to come back. It wouldn't make sense for either party.

The problem with this strategy, Nash may walk for nothing like Amare. One may argue about Nash's value but it is certainly much more than nothing to a contender.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Westbrook is definitely worth the current max, at least as much as any young player outside of the top five. I consider him easily in the top 25 league-wide.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook is definitely worth the current max, at least as much as any young player outside of the top five. I consider him easily in the top 25 league-wide.

I agree about Westbrook. Also the Thunder are setting pretty with Durant and others.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree. Its the second tier of free agents that will be overpaid.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we keep Nash and land a high lottery pick the best case would be to amnesty Childress and somehow get rid off Frye or Warrick for nothing.

We could go for Howard and Gordon or Deron Williams. Draft a SG or SF and use Gortat as bait to complete the starting 5 or keep him for luxury depth.

Howard/Frye
Morris/Frye
Gortat Trade/Hill
2012 Pick/Dudley
Williams/Nash

If you think about it , that is not a bad situation for Dwight Howard and Deron Williams.

Alternatively if you replaced Williams with Gordon. The Suns might still start Nash and might be able to draft someone like Kabongo later in the first round and use Gortat as trade bait.
Or if the Suns somehow lucked out and won the lottery you would have to think that they would be the top destination for Howard.

They could dangle Gortat for a stud wing player.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is improbable but not impossible.

If any team is going to sign both Williams and Howard I think we have as good a chance as anyone to do that. Most likely that won't happen at all though.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We could go for Howard and Gordon or Deron Williams.

Please explain to me why you think that Williams (born June 1984) could be the cornerstone of a team starting a rebuild, whereas Gortat (born February 1984) couldn't possibly be.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please explain to me why you think that Williams (born June 1984) could be the cornerstone of a team starting a rebuild, whereas Gortat (born February 1984) couldn't possibly be.

Nice catch.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

If you got Howard and Williams you "dont start rebuild" you have finished rebuilding at that point.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If you got Howard and Williams you "dont start rebuild" you have finished rebuilding at that point.

If we got a salary cap exemption, added Wade and Lebron, then took a time machine to kidnap Jordan in his prime, we'd also be done rebuilding, but both scenarios have about as good a chance of happening.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Then what's the point? Howard, Williams, and a weak supporting cast don't add up to a championship-caliber roster. Not even close.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is not enough by a long shot if that is the "END" of your rebuild. Sorry but you just contradicted yourself. If you can't rebuild around a guy based on his age, you don't get a pass just because he plays a different position.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake