The Biggest Benefactor of the Fitz Pick may be...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Biggest Beneficiary of the Fitz Pick may be...

Bryant Johnson. While he only had 35 catches for 438 yards, he showed great size, speed, and agility. The only knock on him was dropped passes. If Skkorp's observations are correct, and he is catching everything thrown at him, he should be open quite frequently. With the other team concentrating on stopping Boldin and Fitzgerald, BJ will see quite a bit of single covering, often by the nickel back. I am picking him to be the breakout player this year. Any other opinions?

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was thinking Shipp may benefit the most. No way will there be eight in the box on every play next season.

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
I think I may be the biggest benefactor. Hopefully with Fitz here I won’t be bashing my head into the 120 degree metal bleacher seats at SDS wondering how I ever became a Cardinals fan.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
I absolutely agree if the Cards get a consistent passing game SHipp should break off some huge runs

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS,

I completely agree. I think Bryan Johnson has been somewhat forgotten and to be honest I dont understand why. I think he has a great combination of size and speed and he, along with Fitz and Boldin, may be an elite receiver. When its all said and done I think we will have three potential number one receivers on our team.

With that said, it will also benefit Shipp emensly. When the experts say that drafting Fitz may not have been a smart move because it wasnt an important need I get very frustrated. How is it a bad decision if it helps out everyone on the offensive side of the ball.

Also we can't forget about how much it benefits McCown. Not only from the perspective that he will have alot of open targets. But it also is a huge confidence builder knowing you have three extremely good receivers, a potentialy dominating line, and a good running game.

Our offense could be a very very special unit.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I posted this in a couple other threads. Johnson just needs to beat the 3rd best CB on the other team or a S.
And Shipp needs to get 4 or more yards a pop when there are 7 in the box.

Sometimes football is a simple game.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
I posted this in a couple other threads. Johnson just needs to beat the 3rd best CB on the other team or a S.
And Shipp needs to get 4 or more yards a pop when there are 7 in the box.

Sometimes football is a simple game.

kind of like tupperware? :confused:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
kind of like tupperware? :confused:
Or tea.

You have to beat your man.

The WR has to beat the CB.
The OL has to beat the DL.
And the QB has to deliver the ball.

It comes down to will.
Gameplans and trick plays don't win week after week in the NFL. Players beating other players do.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good point!!

They say it takes a year to adjust to the Pro-game. Especially for WR's the transition can be harder. The speed of the game; reading coverages, bigger players; etc. ("Q") was the exception to the rule. I think "BJ" is going to have a great year, and the whole team will be better (trickle down effect). GO CARDS!!

Reaction score
Lenny_Biscuit said:
I think I may be the biggest benefactor. Hopefully with Fitz here I won’t be bashing my head into the 120 degree metal bleacher seats at SDS wondering how I ever became a Cardinals fan.

:biglaugh: That explains your portrait in the avatar!

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
March 15th, 2004, 10:12 PM #2
Capt'nCard

Posts: 28 I think the Cardinals win either way. a WR set of Boldin, Johnson and MW/Fitz would be one of the top units in the league for years.
I really think the forgotten man here is Byrant Johnson. I look at him to have a much improved season. He had an average rookie season and most WR dont have a lot of success in their first year. And with Quan having the monster year he had it really overshadows what BJ did. Having a year under his belt, defenses shadowing Quan, denny's new system and the possiblity of having either one of these kids, BJ stands to benefit the most. He becomes our deep threat to spread the secondary while Quan runs the slot and the new WR and take the possesion role.
Now with all that said I'm sure we'll end up taking Gallery or something......

This is what I've been saying saying since back in march.....BJ is gonna have a great year! :thewave:

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
Missed one other Receiver. Freddie Jones could have a good year too... This is exciting. Can't wait for the season!!! :thumbup:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
wierwolf said:
Missed one other Receiver. Freddie Jones could have a good year too... This is exciting. Can't wait for the season!!! :thumbup:

I agree. I think he does go to the Pro-Bowl.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Why do you say "only" 35 catches?

How does that compare with other rookie wideouts last year?
I think he was the 3rd best last year. BJ had a very good year for a rookie and will be even better this year.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Why do you say "only" 35 catches?

How does that compare with other rookie wideouts last year?

Many have said that he had a dissappointing year, I assume under the logic that Anquan was a second round pick, and BJ was a first. Who would say that? Wags, pundits, and the like....

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Many have said that he had a dissappointing year, I assume under the logic that Anquan was a second round pick, and BJ was a first. Who would say that? Wags, pundits, and the like....

Well if Johnson had the third best out put and Boldin had the best output than only one rookie receiver outside our team did better then BJ last year and if Boldin was an anomoly Johnson actually did better than where he was drafted :thumbup: What did you expect? Us to have the #1, and #2 most productive rookie receivers?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Well if Johnson had the third best out put and Boldin had the best output than only one rookie receiver outside our team did better then BJ last year and if Boldin was an anomoly Johnson actually did better than where he was drafted :thumbup: What did you expect? Us to have the #1, and #2 most productive rookie receivers?
Don't candycoat failure you hit on Boldin but Johnson was a bad pick. You should have drafted Steinbach or a LB instead of Johnson and then you wouldn't have to use the #2 and #4 picks on filling those positions.
You cannot make mistakes with first round picks.

The Cards had a ton of first round and high round picks and here we are with the WORST team in the NFL. The time for mistakes like passing on Suggs and taking Johnson has to end.

You can't be paying back up players 1st ROUND MONEY either that drains your funds.

The days of ludicrous drafting is over.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Technically speaking, the biggest benefactor of the Fitz Pick was Denny Green, the coach who tirelessly promoted the kid to anyone who would listen.

Dictionary.com said:
ben·e·fac·tor n : a person who helps people or institutions.

I belive you meant "Beneficiary".

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not candy coating it. He was the second best first round Receiver last year...at 15 that isn't that bad. Receivers usually take over a year to develop. Look at David Boston (before he went down hill of course. I do expect Fitz to be a fast starter though but he is unique....