The Biggest Benefactor of the Fitz Pick may be...

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Technically speaking, the biggest benefactor of the Fitz Pick was Denny Green, the coach who tirelessly promoted the kid to anyone who would listen.

I belive you meant "Beneficiary".

Whoops...so sad...I know the latin root, and still can't get the word right... :mad:

HIX

Brittney, Anna, Madonna
Reaction score
I have to agree with the excitement on the receiver corps this year. Even if Special K doesn't make the team the wideouts should make a huge difference and I personally and looking forward to watching!. You always gotta love it when the rookies make a huge difference like Boldin did last year, hopefully the new guy will follow in his footsteps.

That and hopefully the defense won't knock the team outta the game like it did so many times last year

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Don't candycoat failure you hit on Boldin but Johnson was a bad pick. You should have drafted Steinbach or a LB instead of Johnson and then you wouldn't have to use the #2 and #4 picks on filling those positions.
You cannot make mistakes with first round picks.

The Cards had a ton of first round and high round picks and here we are with the WORST team in the NFL. The time for mistakes like passing on Suggs and taking Johnson has to end.

You can't be paying back up players 1st ROUND MONEY either that drains your funds.

The days of ludicrous drafting is over.

Give it a rest already! :stupid:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Don't candycoat failure you hit on Boldin but Johnson was a bad pick. You should have drafted Steinbach or a LB instead of Johnson and then you wouldn't have to use the #2 and #4 picks on filling those positions.

The Cards had a ton of first round and high round picks and here we are with the WORST team in the NFL. The time for mistakes like passing on Suggs and taking Johnson has to end.

You can't be paying back up players 1st ROUND MONEY either that drains your funds.

First of all you have not seen a Card game to say Johnson was a bad pick.
Second of all when the Cards lost Boston, Sanders and Jenkins, the Cards were completely depleted at the WR position. Then knuckle head Rod Graves decided not to sign a WR for some unknowing completly ******** reason, forcing the Cards to take a Wr in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft.
The Fitz pick was just too good of a player to pass up when the Cards were picking, especially if you run a 3 wr set.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. David Boston played in 14 games, had 70 catches for 880 yds, a 12.6 yd average and 7 TDs.
2. Frank Sanders played in 13 games, had 14 catches for 170 yds, a 12.1 yd average, and 0 TDs.
3. Martay Jenkins was out of football in 2003.

The Cards WRs meanwhile posted these numbers, blowing away Devons' horsecrap about how we missed having those veterans.

Player No Yds Avg Long TD
Anquan Boldin 101 1377 13.6 71 8
Bryant Johnson 35 438 12.5 54 1
Bryan Gilmore 17 208 12.2 32 2
Nate Poole 13 177 13.6 37 1

Devon, if you are going to make a point, at least have the facts to back it up.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
absolutely Johnson is not a bust by his rookie year. Rookie years

....Yr.....Player ......team .. ..REC YDS AVG TD
1994 Isaac Bruce..STL ...........21 272 13.0 3
1995 ..................STL..........119 1781 15.0 13

1996 Terrel Owens..SF ......... 35 520 14.9 4
1998................... SF ..........67 1097 16.4 14

1999 Peerless Price..BUF ........31 393 12.7 3
2002 ....................BUF ....... 94 1252 13.3 9

1996 Eric Moulds.....BUF.........20 279 13.9 2
1998 ....................BUF.........67 1368 20.4 9

1998 Hines Ward.....PIT ........15 246 16.4 0
2002 ....................PIT .......112 1329 11.9 12

1995 Jimmy Smith ....JAC ......22 288 13.1 3
1996 .....................JAC ......83 1244 15.0 7

Last years Rookies
2003 Andre Johnson..Hou.......66 976 14.8 4
2003 Byrant Johnson..AZ........35 438 12.5 1
2003 Charles Rogers..Det....... 22 243 11.0 3
2003 Anquan Boldin ..AZ........101 1377 13.6 8

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
absolutely Johnson is not a bust by his rookie year. Rookie years

....Yr.....Player ......team .. ..REC YDS AVG TD
1994 Isaac Bruce..STL ...........21 272 13.0 3
1995 ..................STL..........119 1781 15.0 13

1996 Terrel Owens..SF ......... 35 520 14.9 4
1998................... SF ..........67 1097 16.4 14

1999 Peerless Price..BUF ........31 393 12.7 3
2002 ....................BUF ....... 94 1252 13.3 9

1996 Eric Moulds.....BUF.........20 279 13.9 2
1998 ....................BUF.........67 1368 20.4 9

1998 Hines Ward.....PIT ........15 246 16.4 0
2002 ....................PIT .......112 1329 11.9 12

1995 Jimmy Smith ....JAC ......22 288 13.1 3
1996 .....................JAC ......83 1244 15.0 7

Last years Rookies
2003 Andre Johnson..Hou.......66 976 14.8 4
2003 Byrant Johnson..AZ........35 438 12.5 1
2003 Charles Rogers..Det....... 22 243 11.0 3
2003 Anquan Boldin ..AZ........101 1377 13.6 8

I was waiting for someone to post something like that :thumbup:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Steinbach??????????.He went in round 2 to Cincy.Granted,he was rated higher but 32 teams passed on him in round 1.To say the Cards meesed up by passing on him is being too critical considering they already had three #1 picks on the OL.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Steinbach??????????.He went in round 2 to Cincy.Granted,he was rated higher but 32 teams passed on him in round 1.To say the Cards meesed up by passing on him is being too critical considering they already had three #1 picks on the OL.
It doesn't matter what other teams do.

If they had drafted Steinbach they could have drafted a DT in round 4 or a CB in round 4 or a RB in round 4.

If they had taken one of the LBs that were there they could have had taken someone else instead of Dansby with the round 2 pick.

The Cards made two mistakes last year.
They passed on Suggs and then they took the wrong players with those 1st round picks.

They could have added a solid LB and G and be set at those 2 positions. Then other needs could have been addressed this year.

Look they blew it. Graves has admitted as much several times now. There is a difference between expecting players to work out like Fitz and Dansby. And hoping they do like these guys.

If W Bryant was not yet another mistake Dockett would not have had to be taken in the 3rd round.

Times have changed the drafting philosophy has changed. Picks are going to be expected to perform. No more hope picks.

If guys like Johnson, Pace, Bryant don't kick it up a notch they are going to be gone. They are all earning first round money to be backups.
Production not potential.

(2) How many of those WRs listed actually started as much a B Johson did?

(3) Rogers ONLY played 5 games last year he got injured. In 5 games he had 13 less receptions then Johnson.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
It doesn't matter what other teams do.

If they had drafted Steinbach they could have drafted a DT in round 4 or a CB in round 4 or a RB in round 4.

If they had taken one of the LBs that were there they could have had taken someone else instead of Dansby with the round 2 pick.

The Cards made two mistakes last year.
They passed on Suggs and then they took the wrong players with those 1st round picks.

They could have added a solid LB and G and be set at those 2 positions. Then other needs could have been addressed this year.

Look they blew it. Graves has admitted as much several times now. There is a difference between expecting players to work out like Fitz and Dansby. And hoping they do like these guys.

If W Bryant was not yet another mistake Dockett would not have had to be taken in the 3rd round.

Times have changed the drafting philosophy has changed. Picks are going to be expected to perform. No more hope picks.

If guys like Johnson, Pace, Bryant don't kick it up a notch they are going to be gone. They are all earning first round money to be backups.
Production not potential.

(2) How many of those WRs listed actually started as much a B Johson did?

(3) Rogers ONLY played 5 games last year he got injured. In 5 games he had 13 less receptions then Johnson.

I have said this to you before but it has obviously fallen on deaf ears. Dont equate the bad trade down move to production on the field. I agree the move to trade down was bad, but how can you argue BJ wont/cant be a good receiver?

It has been pointed out numerous times that BJ's production as a rookie is right inline with other rookie wr's. Also remember BJ did not begin the year as the starter. He didint play in a full 16 games either. He will be fine.

Sure they may very well have 'blew it' on the draft, but that doesnt mean BJ wasnt gonna be drafted. or Pace for that matter. Both need to step up, but give it a rest already with this crap. 35 receptions for a rookie is solid numbers.

As far as the charge of Dockett not being selected if Bryant panned out, well, all I an say is Bull#$%^. Remember best player available. DG, according to his philosophy would have taken DD at that spot regardless!!

Reaction score
vikesfan said:

If Green is following his plan; i.e. - Best Player Available; he takes Dockett regardless of Bryant or any other current players, right?

vikesfan said:
Rogers ONLY played 5 games last year he got injured. In 5 games he had 13 less receptions then Johnson.

Rogers was Detroits #1 option when in the game; the Cardinals #1 option was Boldin not Johnson! People continue to fault Johnson because of Boldin's incredible performance. Johnson performed up to expectations of a 1st round pick, period!

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
1. David Boston played in 14 games, had 70 catches for 880 yds, a 12.6 yd average and 7 TDs.
2. Frank Sanders played in 13 games, had 14 catches for 170 yds, a 12.1 yd average, and 0 TDs.
3. Martay Jenkins was out of football in 2003.

The Cards WRs meanwhile posted these numbers, blowing away Devons' horsecrap about how we missed having those veterans.

Player No Yds Avg Long TD
Anquan Boldin 101 1377 13.6 71 8
Bryant Johnson 35 438 12.5 54 1
Bryan Gilmore 17 208 12.2 32 2
Nate Poole 13 177 13.6 37 1

Devon, if you are going to make a point, at least have the facts to back it up.

I'm talking about depth chart wise, Just because the Cards top 3 WR's sucked ass next season, does not mean you don't bring in any vets when they leave. Who the hell did the Cards have when those guys left??? The all great McAddley, Kasper, Gilmore, Jackson or did you count the huge and great additions of Larry Foster and Marquise Walker as replacing there depth. Before you start bashing my post read the previous post I was replying to. I did not say we lost 3 great WR's. I'm just saying if you lose your top 3 WR's on the depth chart, it should be fairly obvious that you probably should sign some vets. I was simply explaining why the Cards had to take two WR's in last years draft very early.
And where the hell did I somehow say that we missed having those players my supposed "horsecrap" in the post. I never said anything about that. I just pointed out as to why the Cards had to take so many WR's in the past couple drafts early. Basically the post you bashed me on was explaining that Johnson was not a bad pick in the 1st, because the Cards had been depleted at the WR position, reason being they lost there top 3 WR on the depth chart and Graves did not bring in any vets to replace there spots on the roster.

Never once did I say wow that trio of Boston, Sanders and Jenkins sure was a great trio. Those guys would have caused us to make the playoffs next year and look at there careers ,the way they took off when they left the Cards, Dang I miss those guys. If I were to say that then maybe call my post meaningless and "Horsecrap" :thumbup:

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think any coach including DG goes by pure BPA.
What if a RB is the BPA each of the 7 times you draft. Do you take 7 RBs.

Need always plays a role in BPA.

At any one point in the draft there could be several BPAs in a spot. And then need might be more of a factor.

Well B Johnson is going to get his chance. You know what I hope he succeeds but he was not worthy of a number 1 round pick and neither was Pace. I would much rather have 2 rookie of the year candidates and 10 year starters at G and LB then either one of these guys.

It was a mistake.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05