The Boys (Amazon)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I made it plural. Homelander is a total douche canoe and I don't know why you would want to parse his evil. Is he evil this way or that way? Irrelevant. Unless you're one of the right-wing "Homelander is the good guy" whackadoos.

Firecracker is the clear white supremacist. Homelander is, too, no matter how much parsing you attempt. He's used it and all the other ableist, sexist, anti-LGBTQ+ dog whistles.

But hey, let's not examine and answer the actual topic I broached. 'Cause the black smartest woman in the world sure as shooting knew she was throwing in with white supremacists along with other pure evil bullish.

Just because someone is evil doesn't mean you can ascribe any evil characteristic to them and make it true. That is all you seem to be doing.

I never claimed Homelander was a good guy so not sure why you'd bring that up. Sage also made it clear to Firecracker she wasn't working for her.

Sage has her own ego and goals. Virtually every supe on the show is a self centered egomaniac and being a POC doesn't make that excusable. They've all been coddled and put on pedestals by those around them. They aren't comparable to normal people in the real world. Supes are a lot like billionaires in the real world, they play by their own rules and billionaires first and foremost.

Like I said, Homelander is equally awful to everyone. If it makes you feel better to add labels to him then go for it but that doesn't make them true for others.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just because someone is evil doesn't mean you can ascribe any evil characteristic to them and make it true. That is all you seem to be doing.

I never claimed Homelander was a good guy so not sure why you'd bring that up. Sage also made it clear to Firecracker she wasn't working for her.

Sage has her own ego and goals. Virtually every supe on the show is a self centered egomaniac and being a POC doesn't make that excusable. They've all been coddled and put on pedestals by those around them. They aren't comparable to normal people in the real world. Supes are a lot like billionaires in the real world, they play by their own rules and billionaires first and foremost.

Like I said, Homelander is equally awful to everyone. If it makes you feel better to add labels to him then go for it but that doesn't make them true for others.
Please, Homelander uses the racist dog whistle and is plenty fine with it being used in his name. Just because he doesn't give AF about anything like causes doesn't mean he doesn't act racist in his whole makeup. He surrounds himself with racists, uses racist dog-whistle language, lets others use him as a white power icon, and so on.

As to Sage, again, I get what you're saying about supes and I'm sure it's what the show runners are trying to say about her, but no, sorry, making the smartest woman in the world as a black woman that happily works with the vilest of racists is offensive. Sage making it clear she doesn't work for Fircracker doesn't mean she's not working with Firecracker and publicly putting herself on Firecracker's side. All just for kicks. I don't like it and I think it's the ultimate in lazy and bad writing for them to go this route, making the smartest person in the world a black woman who's just fine working with racist. Slap in the face offensiveness, not "cool, we're undermining super hero culture in a funny, dirty way" offensive.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please, Homelander uses the racist dog whistle and is plenty fine with it being used in his name. Just because he doesn't give AF about anything like causes doesn't mean he doesn't act racist in his whole makeup. He surrounds himself with racists, uses racist dog-whistle language, lets others use him as a white power icon, and so on.

He surrounds himself with people who can help achieve his goal and those who will grovel at his feet. Some of which are POC. Asking Sage for help isn't exactly something a white supremist would do, is it? You're picking and choosing. All you have are "dog whistles" without any actual proof Homelander is a white supremacist himself.

This addresses the rest of your comment as well. YOU say Homelander is this vile racist but he's not. He's vile, yes, racist is questionable at best.

Firecracker is used as a pawn by those who actually have power like Homelander or Sage. No one takes her seriously. She's a useful idiot, thing more or less. Her useful is likely to run its course sooner than later as well.

Stout

Reaction score
He surrounds himself with people who can help achieve his goal and those who will grovel at his feet. Some of which are POC. Asking Sage for help isn't exactly something a white supremist would do, is it? You're picking and choosing. All you have are "dog whistles" without any actual proof Homelander is a white supremacist himself.

This addresses the rest of your comment as well. YOU say Homelander is this vile racist but he's not. He's vile, yes, racist is questionable at best.

Firecracker is used as a pawn by those who actually have power like Homelander or Sage. No one takes her seriously. She's a useful idiot, thing more or less. Her useful is likely to run its course sooner than later as well.
Sure dude. I'm not going to sit here and continue to argue the nuance of Homelander's evil. You can go on believing they didn't utilize Sage exactly how I said they utilized her on this show, that my take is incorrect somehow, and that they didn't purposefully try to exploit race in the smartest character in the world to be as offensive as possible. Opinions are free and many.

Tell me, which season did you realize Homelander was the bad guy? 2, 3?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure dude. I'm not going to sit here and continue to argue the nuance of Homelander's evil. You can go on believing they didn't utilize Sage exactly how I said they utilized her on this show, that my take is incorrect somehow, and that they didn't purposefully try to exploit race in the smartest character in the world to be as offensive as possible. Opinions are free and many.

Tell me, which season did you realize Homelander was the bad guy? 2, 3?

Going to try and throw out insults now, as if I'm saying Homelander is the hero or something? Do I need to quote where I said Homelander is evil but he's not the evil you're assigning to him as far as a white supremacist. I'm not surprised you feel that way since you said there's plenty of "dog whistles" though. 99% of the time dog whistles are nonsense and that's why rather than actually state what made him a white supremacist but kept going back to that tired old well.

Clearly you have your own agenda that you want to push. I'm done partaking in that since you can't converse like an adult.

Stout

Reaction score
Going to try and throw out insults now, as if I'm saying Homelander is the hero or something? Do I need to quote where I said Homelander is evil but he's not the evil you're assigning to him as far as a white supremacist. I'm not surprised you feel that way since you said there's plenty of "dog whistles" though. 99% of the time dog whistles are nonsense and that's why rather than actually state what made him a white supremacist but kept going back to that tired old well.

Clearly you have your own agenda that you want to push. I'm done partaking in that since you can't converse like an adult.
You have a clear anti-left agenda, which is why I keep coming back at you. I'm betting you call people snowflakes and roll your eyes at trigger warnings, and get mad at the woke "liberal agenda" too, right? So Homelander never, ever works with and has definite moral objections to people actively engaging in prejudice, action against, and active violence against, LGBTQ+ community members, minorities, "the liberal agenda," just to name a few? He didn't approve a script with all of those and more, too?

Sorry, Hoop Head. I don't know you from Adam. When a person approaches this show with the kind of attitude I highlighted above, yeah, leeway isn't given. This isn't a "well, there are lot of sides to this show." The moral gray areas are with, predictably and where the title points, "The Boys" and their side. So when I get push back and "alternate sides" to the show, I am naturally suspicious.

And I have no agenda. I am a social worker, therapist, and VA employee who has a certain weltanschauung. None of that has come into play with this show until now. The only problem I've ever had with this show is that Homelander got boring and I thought his story line should have wrapped up last season. I felt Homelander had gotten too mustache-twirly for the show. Thankfully they proved me wrong. Where my world view kicked in is when a "smartest woman in the world (who is also black)" threw in with all that is loathsome in the world--clearly including white supremacy. The only really acceptable reason would be because she was secretly screwing with and undermining with the goose stepping side. That seems not to have been the motivation. And, as Homelander is the de facto leader of said goose steppers, it's easier to just refer to him.

Now, if you're still pissed, I got nothing for you and will continue to question your weltanschauung and how you identify with the show. Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, reading between the lines I get "enough of this woke liberal agenda from Stout, geesh!"

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Warning - and last warning* KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS OR YOU WILL BE SENT TO TIMEOUT

Discussing the character's attributes are fine, but do not take it into a personal discussion about your own or project onto others.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Homelander seems to me to be the ultimate narcissist and opportunist. He will use anybody for any reason if he feels if furthers his agenda. If people want to interpret that one way or the other that's fine but I really think it's that black and white (no pun intended) for his character.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Homelander seems to me to be the ultimate narcissist and opportunist. He will use anybody for any reason if he feels if furthers his agenda. If people want to interpret that one way or the other that's fine but I really think it's that black and white (no pun intended) for his character.
agree, and he clearly feels he is above all the labels and motivations of humans.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if it's a spoiler or not so I'll ask in a spoiler in case anyone is behind.

What happened to Queen Maeve? I can't recall when she disappeared or why. I know she had her girlfriend and wanted to run off with her but I don't think that happened. I remember a big fight with Homelander and didn't she hook with Butcher also? I think she's been absent for a while.

Stout

Reaction score
*Warning - and last warning* KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS OR YOU WILL BE SENT TO TIMEOUT

Discussing the character's attributes are fine, but do not take it into a personal discussion about your own or project onto others.
Fair. After the last post, I was just thinking we were tiptoeing on the line. Thanks for the heads up!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's a spoiler or not so I'll ask in a spoiler in case anyone is behind.

What happened to Queen Maeve? I can't recall when she disappeared or why. I know she had her girlfriend and wanted to run off with her but I don't think that happened. I remember a big fight with Homelander and didn't she hook with Butcher also? I think she's been absent for a while.
Maeve fought with Homelander, lost an eye, and then also lost her powers after she tackled Soldier Boy and they went out a window and he exploded, IIRC. She is presumed dead although I believe people on both sides are aware that she is really alive. Vought put out a special tribute in her memory. She and Elena disappeared together.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maeve fought with Homelander, lost an eye, and then also lost her powers after she tackled Soldier Boy and they went out a window and he exploded, IIRC. She is presumed dead although I believe people on both sides are aware that she is really alive. Vought put out a special tribute in her memory. She and Elena disappeared together.
soldier boy dead ?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait for the final season.

Word is that Amazon wanted to go well beyond 5 seasons, but Kripke said no.

They may move forward with Gen V 2 or another spinoff series, but the flagship show is over after 5.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait for the final season.

Word is that Amazon wanted to go well beyond 5 seasons, but Kripke said no.

They may move forward with Gen V 2 or another spinoff series, but the flagship show is over after 5.
You know I am OK with it. I mean how many times can you plot to kill Supes/Homlander before it becomes so repetitive? I think it feels like Season 5 should be it.

Stout

Reaction score
You know I am OK with it. I mean how many times can you plot to kill Supes/Homlander before it becomes so repetitive? I think it feels like Season 5 should be it.
Seriously. I was hoping they were wrapping that arc up at the end of Season 3, so we could move on to something else. It's clear that this is the entire show's arc, so anything beyond Season 5 would just be filler.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

DiscussingFilm

@DiscussingFilm

A prequel series to ‘THE BOYS’ is in the works, starring Jensen Ackles and Aya Cash.The series follows a twisted murder mystery about the origins of Vought in the 1950s, the early exploits of Soldier Boy, and the diabolical maneuvers of a Supe known to fans as Stormfront.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
DiscussingFilm
@DiscussingFilm

A prequel series to ‘THE BOYS’ is in the works, starring Jensen Ackles and Aya Cash.The series follows a twisted murder mystery about the origins of Vought in the 1950s, the early exploits of Soldier Boy, and the diabolical maneuvers of a Supe known to fans as Stormfront.
Cool...Soldier Boy just seems like the natural progression from Dean Winchester